Board index » delphi » HELP: D4 Pro + MsAccess97 (Argh.)

HELP: D4 Pro + MsAccess97 (Argh.)

    We are contracted to write a multi-user DBS but they want the tables
to be Access 97.  (Don't ask...I don't know why)  Now, has anybody done
something similar?  Is it possible for an Access97 mdb to be shared
between 10 and 50 users via Delphi front-end apps?

Now...  what are other options?  MS SQL?  I only have the Professional
version, so I am pretty much limited to ODBC.

I am sorry for all the newbie questions, but I am in unfamiliar
territory.  I can code, but I am not a DB guru.  Thanks in advance...

joel
rui...@nineinchnails.net

 

Re:HELP: D4 Pro + MsAccess97 (Argh.)


Wow!
As far as I know you can share it among some number of users. However, even
Paradox tables (much smaller and more stable) crash at the certain limit of
network traffic/user activity/table size. We had a customer with 15 Meg
Paradox database which we were repairing two times a month or even weekly
(year and a half ago) with 5 users. Now the database is moved to interbase
and works without interruption and crashes for 20 users.

For 50 users Access is absolutely crazy.

The best thing against crashes would be to write a data provider for DB
server and use ClientDataSet for client stations (technology called Midas) -
so that only a local machine is accessing mdb file. Or to write your
proprietary technology. I don't think Midas is right - deployment costs a
lot ($5000 ?) and it was designed for much larger tasks where this price is
affordable. Also proprietary technology is a nonsense - you are going to
loose all benefits of existing data-aware controls and components.

So you absolutely clearly see a Client/Server problem which requires
Client/Server solution. Your only task is to prove a customer he needs (for
example) Interbase instead of Access.

Didzis

Quote
J. Clark wrote:
>     We are contracted to write a multi-user DBS but they want the tables
> to be Access 97.  (Don't ask...I don't know why)  Now, has anybody done
> something similar?  Is it possible for an Access97 mdb to be shared
> between 10 and 50 users via Delphi front-end apps?

> Now...  what are other options?  MS SQL?  I only have the Professional
> version, so I am pretty much limited to ODBC.

> I am sorry for all the newbie questions, but I am in unfamiliar
> territory.  I can code, but I am not a DB guru.  Thanks in advance...

> joel
> rui...@nineinchnails.net

Re:HELP: D4 Pro + MsAccess97 (Argh.)


I've MS Access app with 15-20 users. Access app accessing Access db
To use Access with Delphi (10 users), you must to think about performance in
programming time. Paradox crashs more than Access.
50 users , no way! MS Access is greater than Paradox (much better), but 50 users
is so much. IMO, you must to buy MS SQL Server or Interbase.

Re:HELP: D4 Pro + MsAccess97 (Argh.)


Hi.
I primarily write applications for various customers using different
databases, so my personally advise to you is:
1) Use ODBC, it gives you independent connectivity.
2) Use only Query's to limit the size of resultsets.
3) ALLWAYS use parameters for date-time fields. ( saves you a lot of
trouble )
4) Implement transactions.
5) Most important, WARN your customers about slow performance and need for
repair of database. ( You can not guarantee the response times/integrity in
an Access environment).

So if the production will show a slow performance/unacceptable amount of
repairs, you only need to set up a SQL server, transfer the data and
redirect your ODBC.

Of course, 50 users on Access is insain, BUT if they are reading most of the
time, maybe it's possible.

Hope you get it running.
Stig Johansen.

Quote
J. Clark wrote in message <3626B722.9EF2A...@nineinchnails.net>...
>    We are contracted to write a multi-user DBS but they want the tables
>to be Access 97.  (Don't ask...I don't know why)  Now, has anybody done
>something similar?  Is it possible for an Access97 mdb to be shared
>between 10 and 50 users via Delphi front-end apps?

>Now...  what are other options?  MS SQL?  I only have the Professional
>version, so I am pretty much limited to ODBC.

>I am sorry for all the newbie questions, but I am in unfamiliar
>territory.  I can code, but I am not a DB guru.  Thanks in advance...

>joel
>rui...@nineinchnails.net

Re:HELP: D4 Pro + MsAccess97 (Argh.)


I want to thank each of you for the help.  I have printed these out and will
show them to the powers that be.

Cheers!
jc

Quote
Stig Johansen wrote:
> Hi.
> I primarily write applications for various customers using different
> databases, so my personally advise to you is:
> 1) Use ODBC, it gives you independent connectivity.
> 2) Use only Query's to limit the size of resultsets.
> 3) ALLWAYS use parameters for date-time fields. ( saves you a lot of
> trouble )
> 4) Implement transactions.
> 5) Most important, WARN your customers about slow performance and need for
> repair of database. ( You can not guarantee the response times/integrity in
> an Access environment).

> So if the production will show a slow performance/unacceptable amount of
> repairs, you only need to set up a SQL server, transfer the data and
> redirect your ODBC.

> Of course, 50 users on Access is insain, BUT if they are reading most of the
> time, maybe it's possible.

> Hope you get it running.
> Stig Johansen.

> J. Clark wrote in message <3626B722.9EF2A...@nineinchnails.net>...
> >    We are contracted to write a multi-user DBS but they want the tables
> >to be Access 97.  (Don't ask...I don't know why)  Now, has anybody done
> >something similar?  Is it possible for an Access97 mdb to be shared
> >between 10 and 50 users via Delphi front-end apps?

> >Now...  what are other options?  MS SQL?  I only have the Professional
> >version, so I am pretty much limited to ODBC.

> >I am sorry for all the newbie questions, but I am in unfamiliar
> >territory.  I can code, but I am not a DB guru.  Thanks in advance...

> >joel
> >rui...@nineinchnails.net

Other Threads