DEBUG A DELPHI DLL ?

When running delphi step by step delphi bypass the DLL source.
How can I debug the dll ?
mi...@ibm.com

Re:DEBUG A DELPHI DLL ?

zvi & yosi & ronit wrote:

> When running delphi step by step delphi bypass the DLL source.
> How can I debug the dll ?

With a real de{*word*81}. TDW for instance. The one that comes
with BC++ 5.0 works.

M.

--
Martin Larsson, author of several unknown utilities for DOS and Windows.
mailto:martin.lars...@delfi-data.msmail.telemax.no

Re:DEBUG A DELPHI DLL ?

In article <4tprvl$1...@news-s01.ny.us.ibm.net> mi...@ibm.net (zvi & yosi & ronit) writes:

>From: mi...@ibm.net (zvi & yosi & ronit)
>Subject: DEBUG A DELPHI DLL ?
>Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 10:19:15 GMT
>When running delphi step by step delphi bypass the DLL source.
>How can I debug the dll ?
>mi...@ibm.com

You could also try debugging the cde before you make it into a DLL - to
convert a Library to a Unit is very little work imho

HTH

Boris Ingram, Cyborg Software
boris...@iafrica.com
100076.3...@compuserve.com
http://www.pcb.co.za/users/borising/cyborg.htm

Re:DEBUG A DELPHI DLL ?

boris...@iafrica.com (Boris Ingram) wrote:
>In article <4tprvl$1...@news-s01.ny.us.ibm.net> mi...@ibm.net (zvi & yosi & ronit) writes:
>>From: mi...@ibm.net (zvi & yosi & ronit)
>>Subject: DEBUG A DELPHI DLL ?
>>Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 10:19:15 GMT
>>When running delphi step by step delphi bypass the DLL source.
>>How can I debug the dll ?
>>mi...@ibm.com
>You could also try debugging the cde before you make it into a DLL - to
>convert a Library to a Unit is very little work imho
>HTH
>Boris Ingram, Cyborg Software
>boris...@iafrica.com
>100076.3...@compuserve.com
>http://www.pcb.co.za/users/borising/cyborg.htm

Alternatively, if you really needed a hefty debugging tool, you could
try using SoftICE for Win 95/NT from Nu-Mega. It's just been updated
to work with Delphi 2.

----

Richard Turner - email : r...@paradigm.uk.com
Paradigm Industries Ltd - www : http://www.paradigm.uk.com

Re:DEBUG A DELPHI DLL ?

Martin Larsson <martin.lars...@delfi-data.msmail.telemax.no> wrote:
>zvi & yosi & ronit wrote:

>> When running delphi step by step delphi bypass the DLL source.
>> How can I debug the dll ?
>With a real de{*word*81}. TDW for instance. The one that comes
>with BC++ 5.0 works.

If you're one of the unfortunates that doesn't have it you could try
what I do. I load up a copy of Delphi and VB. I'll have my DLL project
open in Delphi and a project to test it open in VB. I'll also have the
DOS prompt open so that I can copy the DLL to the Windows\System
directory (could be avoided by using proper declaration in VB
however). Anyway, I simply call the DLL. If something doesn't work as
it should, I ALT-TAB over to Delphi, stick in a bunch of ShowMessage's
to display how far it is getting, what the variable values are, etc
and then compile and copy. ALT-TAB back to VB and try again. Although
this is not the best way, it works.

Another way is to make your DLL into a Delphi unit. Then you can
simply put it into the Uses clause. This can be a problem however if
you use forms or the DLL is big.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Damien

Are you a shareware programmer? E-mail me for info on
something I'm writing to make your life a lot easier!!!
=== "http://204.101.50.93/students/damien/dmhome.htm" ===

Re:DEBUG A DELPHI DLL ?

Damien Smith wrote:

> Martin Larsson <martin.lars...@delfi-data.msmail.telemax.no> wrote:

> >zvi & yosi & ronit wrote:

> >> When running delphi step by step delphi bypass the DLL source.
> >> How can I debug the dll ?

> >With a real de{*word*81}. TDW for instance. The one that comes
> >with BC++ 5.0 works.

> If you're one of the unfortunates that doesn't have it you could try
> what I do. [snip]

Everything you do, while good on your part, do not change the fact that
Borland is neglecting a large chunk of what is now expected from a
decent development environment.  The ability to place an object in
a debug window and expand its properties is not a new idea, but it
sure would be nice and boy is it not there.  Sure you can make
OLE Automation servers in Delphi, but if they are in-proc you cannot
debug them without buying some other package.

Many of my co-workers come from a NeXTStep background and that seems to
imply that that would like to avoid C++ if they can.  When Dephi was
released, many took a look at it as an alternative.  After not
finding many of the basics like a decent de{*word*81} and those
implemented-a-thousand-times classes like collections and hash
tables there, they were turned away.

Now don't get me wrong (basic disclaimer coming), I use Delphi as my
primary development environment, but these things should have been
in version 2.0 at least.  I haven't heard these include in the
Delphi 97 feature set either.

I have heard from more than one Borland representative who responed to
questions regarding these omissions by discussing Delphi's
VB/Powerbuilder market.  I am sorry, any VB programmer would be
served greatly with a better de{*word*81}.  Or going to a resource compiler
to add version information could probably made easier with the
Resource Workshop.

I don't like false limitations being placed on this product by not
including things which are now expected and happend to be in the C++
product anyway.  It is a good development environment and should not
be crippled this way.  And hey, that object browser in Latte sure
looked nice.

--
John

jdev...@interaccess.com
See a Poi Dog Pondering on a Sea and Cake!

Other Threads