Esc codes for my printer=for all printer?

I searched in the manual of my printer for the basic and esc-codes.
My question is this, will the codes work on other printer?
The basic, I think that will work on all printers, but what about the
ESC-codes?

For example:    FAT-mode                ESC E           27 69
                Cancel FAT-mode ESC F           27 70
                Set pagelength          ESC C n 27 67 n

Thank you all for replying my earlier mess.!
GREETINGS...
Koen.Reyna...@ping.be

Re:Esc codes for my printer=for all printer?

>I searched in the manual of my printer for the basic and esc-codes.
>My question is this, will the codes work on other printer?
>The basic, I think that will work on all printers, but what about the
>ESC-codes?

     It is my understanding that escape codes are highly printer-specific, so
that in general, they are NOT the same for different printers.  One way around
this dilemma is to design a "device-independent" code, then have little device
specific routines, called "drivers", that take care of translating this code
into the specific routines (e.g. escape sequences) needed by the printer.
This is (sort of, and very simplified) how Windows works; when you install a
printer, you are really installing the printer driver that does the
interpretation for you.

Bob Schor
Pascal Enthusiast

Other Threads