Oracle8i: cannot INSERT a record

I have seen several similar postings to this, and
wonder if my problem stems from the same source.
I have installed Oracle8i on NT, and have
successfully inserted records into the database
using the data bound controls. However, if I
explicitly use an INSERT statement in a TQuery or
TUpdateQuery, the query is sent to oracle (I can
see it in the SQL monitor), then the application
hangs with the SQL hourglass pointer.
Why should a data bound control work when an
INSERT statement fails? Could updating the BDE
from 5.01 to 5.1 help this?
Regards,

Tony Bateman.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/