dBase III tables

Does anyone know a utility, ideally free, that can create dbase iii
tables and *.ndx indexes?  Some third party components use *.ndx files
not *.mdx...

Andrew

Re:dBase III tables

Uzytkownik "Andrew Skinner" <skin...@summerfld.demon.co.uk> napisal w
wiadomosci news:3C6108CB.D9889630@summerfld.demon.co.uk...

> Does anyone know a utility, ideally free, that can create dbase iii
> tables and *.ndx indexes?  Some third party components use *.ndx files
> not *.mdx...

> Andrew

I think You should check Advantage Local Server (www.advantagedatabase.com)
IMHO it's best solution for dbf table. And it's free.

Greetings, Marcin Drwota

Re:dBase III tables

Andrew take a look at our Advantage Database Server.

Bill Schuler
Advantage Database Server
Sales Manager
Phone (800)235-7576 ext. 6051
(208)322-7575 ext. 6051
Fax (208)327-5006
bi...@extendsys.com
5777 N. Meeker Ave.
Boise, ID 83711 http://www.advantagedatabase.com
http://solutions.advantagedatabase.com

"Andrew Skinner" <skin...@summerfld.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Does anyone know a utility, ideally free, that can create dbase iii
> tables and *.ndx indexes?  Some third party components use *.ndx files
> not *.mdx...

> Andrew

Re:dBase III tables

Andrew,

You can use the API call DbiAddIndex to create a NDX index. The table
below was dBase111+ and the index is on the second field.

{Create Index}
Procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
var
  Idx: IDXDesc;
begin
  with Table1 do
    If Exclusive and Active then
  begin
    FillChar(Idx,SizeOf(Idx),#0);
    with Idx do
    begin
      StrPCopy(szName,'TESTIDX.NDX');
      iFldsInKey := 1;
      aiKeyFld[0] := 2;
    end;
    if DBIAddIndex(DBHandle,Handle,nil,szDBase,Idx,nil) = DBIERR_NONE
then
      Button2.Enabled := True else ShowMessage('An Error occurred
during Indexing.');

{Apply Index}
  Table1.IndexFiles.Add('TestIDX.ndx');
  Table1.IndexName:= 'TestIdx.ndx';
end;

I have one niggling doubt about the above, I could not stop the index
being maintained. Not really thought through what that implies.

Bob
----
Sent using Virtual Access 5.01 - download your freeware copy now
http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

Re:dBase III tables

Hi Andrew

Search the web for tDBF, this is a free component which will allow you to
create DBF, DBT files and NDX indexes without having to use the BDE.

Cheers.................Tony

"Andrew Skinner" <skin...@summerfld.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Does anyone know a utility, ideally free, that can create dbase iii
> tables and *.ndx indexes?  Some third party components use *.ndx files
> not *.mdx...

> Andrew

Re:dBase III tables

Thanks, what I meant was something like the Database desktop to create
dbase III tables, not components to access it.  The add index method
would do this (thanks) since I could create a dbase table then a *.ndx
index.  I hadn't thought of using Adavantage data architect.

Andrew

Other Threads