Query By Example in LARGE SQL databases

I'm looking for a component that will let me present the users of the
application with a QBE form. I.e. fill in the blanks, press query, let
meg get hold of the WHERE clause created and go and fetch the data.

Does anyone know of such a component?

How do you guys do it when you want the users to be able to search a
large table to retrieve for instance customer data?

Re:Query By Example in LARGE SQL databases

Steinar Overbeck Cook (stei...@balder.no) wrote:

: How do you guys do it when you want the users to be able to search a
: large table to retrieve for instance customer data?

Display a number of fields for the user to use, and, when the user
hits 'Query', check each field for a value, and add the appopriate
tables to the FROM clause, and the appopriate fields + values + joins
to the WHERE clause. It isn't that hard to do.

--
Ebbe Jonsson, Systems Mangler                            e...@dbm.fi
Key Systems Oy, Helsinki, Finland

Re:Query By Example in LARGE SQL databases

In article <4qls10$...@idefix.eunet.fi>, e...@hitman.dbm.fi says...

>Steinar Overbeck Cook (stei...@balder.no) wrote:

>: How do you guys do it when you want the users to be able to search a
>: large table to retrieve for instance customer data?

>Display a number of fields for the user to use, and, when the user
>hits 'Query', check each field for a value, and add the appopriate
>tables to the FROM clause, and the appopriate fields + values + joins
>to the WHERE clause. It isn't that hard to do.

I agree that it's not hard to do, but if you have a database with approx 140
tables it one big job to write all that code.

I was hoping that someone somewhere had written a Query By Form component :-)

Other Threads