Delphi as a Pascal compiler?

Hello!
    I've got a stupid question. I've set out to learn Pascal, and I was
wondering if it is possible to use the Borland Delphi Standard Edition
*just* as a
compiler of Pascal programs? I know this would probably be overkill, but

as I was going to pay for the Turbo Pascal anyway, I figure I'd spring
for Delphi (which would give me the chance to learn Delphi down the
road). Does Delphi have a code editor? Is Delphi  Pascal ISO compliant?
Can I test straight Pascal code and write Pascal programs within Delphi?

It's probably a stupid question, but I'd hate to blow $100. . . .Thank
you in advance. . .Joab

jo...@charm.net

Re:Delphi as a Pascal compiler?

In <347CFDD7.F0D63...@bellatlantic.net>,

Joab Jackson <jo...@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
> Hello!
>     I've got a stupid question. I've set out to learn Pascal, and I was
> wondering if it is possible to use the Borland Delphi Standard Edition
> *just* as a
> compiler of Pascal programs?

AFAIK, there's a patch available to do that, but I've never used Delphi.

> Is Delphi  Pascal ISO compliant?

Certainly not, since not even TP is ISO compliant. The original ISO Pascal
("Standard Pascal") was very limited for real-world purposes. The second
ISO standard ("Extended Pascal") fixed those shortcomings, but was never
implemented by Borland (not even all of Standard Pascal was implemented in
TP). Instead they made different extensions to the language, mostly general
language extensions, but also some Dos specific stuff.

> It's probably a stupid question, but I'd hate to blow $100. . . .Thank
> you in advance. . .Joab

In this case you might want to try one of the freeware Pascal compilers,
e.g. GNU Pascal which is (almost) ISO compliant.

--
Frank Heckenbach, Erlangen, Germany
fjf@[NOSPAM.REMOVE.THIS]gmx.de

Other Threads