MSSQL Error when using TEXT fields?

We developed a system using MS-SQL.  When we use the ODBC driver
everything works fine.  When using the MSSQL native driver the system
crashes with a 'General SQL Error' when accessing a 'TEXT' field that
contains data.  All the other field type seems to work fine.

I then started the SQL Explorer and navigated thru the same table.  When
I access a TEXT field which is empty everything works fine.  When I
access a TEXT field that contains data, SQL explorer gives the exact
same message 'General SQL Error'.

Does anybody know why this is happening or any solutions would be
appreciated.

Thanks
Otto Marais

Re:MSSQL Error when using TEXT fields?

Install MSSQL Service Pack 4 or higher (5A).

Re:MSSQL Error when using TEXT fields?

If you're using MSSQL 6.5, make sure you're using the latest service
pack as (from memory) SP3 introduced a bug which clobbered the BDE's
handling of TEXT fields.

Trevor Toms

In article <3701B857.3A192...@chip.co.za>, o...@chip.co.za (Otto Marais)
wrote:

> We developed a system using MS-SQL.  When we use the ODBC driver
> everything works fine.  When using the MSSQL native driver the system
> crashes with a 'General SQL Error' when accessing a 'TEXT' field that
> contains data.  All the other field type seems to work fine.

> I then started the SQL Explorer and navigated thru the same table.  When
> I access a TEXT field which is empty everything works fine.  When I
> access a TEXT field that contains data, SQL explorer gives the exact
> same message 'General SQL Error'.

> Does anybody know why this is happening or any solutions would be
> appreciated.

> Thanks
> Otto Marais

Re:MSSQL Error when using TEXT fields?

SP3 is a definate must with blob fields and SQL 6.5, as that was one of the
main areas it fixed. You might also want to check your blob size in the BDE
(I doubt this is it, since it would be an entirely different error)...

-BKN

Otto Marais <o...@chip.co.za> wrote in message

> We developed a system using MS-SQL.  When we use the ODBC driver
> everything works fine.  When using the MSSQL native driver the system
> crashes with a 'General SQL Error' when accessing a 'TEXT' field that
> contains data.  All the other field type seems to work fine.

> I then started the SQL Explorer and navigated thru the same table.  When
> I access a TEXT field which is empty everything works fine.  When I
> access a TEXT field that contains data, SQL explorer gives the exact
> same message 'General SQL Error'.

> Does anybody know why this is happening or any solutions would be
> appreciated.

> Thanks
> Otto Marais

Other Threads