Board index » delphi » D4:MS-SQL 7.0 without BDE

D4:MS-SQL 7.0 without BDE

Hello Folks,

in near future I'll start to write a MS-SQL 7.0 Database application for my
company.
Since now, we have used BDE and dBase , but it's Networkability sucks.
So for the new Software we want to use MS-SQL 7.0, without the BDE (to slow,
to much problems).
Instead we want to use ODBC.

I'm thinking about using ODBC98 , it looks simple, and isn't that much
different from the BDE, on the programming Site.

Is there any other good ODBC-Link out there, or do you know any Problems
with ODBC98 ?

Oh, I nearly forgot to say : We want to use Delphi 4.0 Proffessional.

Thanks for comments....

 

Re:D4:MS-SQL 7.0 without BDE


Have you considered using ADO? ADO is the native data access mechanism
for SQL Server 7.

I'm using a set of components called Kamiak ADO with Delphi 4. I'm very
happy with the performance and flexibility. Using ADO I can connect to
Access and SQL Server databases with native drivers.

ADO also works with ODBC. Currently I'm building some Delphi 4 clients
that use ADO and ODBC to connect to a Postgresql database running on a
Linux server.

In article <7cdqbd$14...@ra.ins.de>, martin.rodem...@home.ins.de says...

Quote

> in near future I'll start to write a MS-SQL 7.0 Database application for my
> company.
> Since now, we have used BDE and dBase , but it's Networkability sucks.
> So for the new Software we want to use MS-SQL 7.0, without the BDE (to slow,
> to much problems).
> Instead we want to use ODBC.

> I'm thinking about using ODBC98 , it looks simple, and isn't that much
> different from the BDE, on the programming Site.

> Is there any other good ODBC-Link out there, or do you know any Problems
> with ODBC98 ?

> Oh, I nearly forgot to say : We want to use Delphi 4.0 Proffessional.

> Thanks for comments....

Re:D4:MS-SQL 7.0 without BDE


Thanx for the answer,

I've also looked at ADO, the Problem with it is, that our
System-Administator don't want to use ADO,BDE or any other Midware. The
Software must directly control the action. ODBC is all im allowed to
use(because he also use it in his Visual Object Progs) .The Rest must be in
the Program as native Code, with complete Source-Code.

So no ADO,DAO,BDE or Stuff like that.

Quote
>Have you considered using ADO? ADO is the native data access mechanism
>for SQL Server 7.

>I'm using a set of components called Kamiak ADO with Delphi 4. I'm very
>happy with the performance and flexibility. Using ADO I can connect to
>Access and SQL Server databases with native drivers.

>ADO also works with ODBC. Currently I'm building some Delphi 4 clients
>that use ADO and ODBC to connect to a Postgresql database running on a
>Linux server.

Re:D4:MS-SQL 7.0 without BDE


Hi,

Quote
>the Problem with it is, that our
>System-Administator don't want to use ADO,BDE or any other Midware. The
>Software must directly control the action. ODBC is all im allowed to
>use(because he also use it in his Visual Object Progs). The Rest must be
>in the Program as native Code, with complete Source-Code.

It may be of no help to you but this sounds like a very questionable
policy to me.

"Don't use anything. OK, you may use ODBC because I have to use it
myself.".

Ciao, MM

Re:D4:MS-SQL 7.0 without BDE


Hi,

Quote
>"Don't use anything. OK, you may use ODBC because I have to use it
>myself.".

I meant to add: Either he should adhere to

Quote
>The Rest must be in the Program as native Code, with complete Source-Code.

himself, or, if he cannot because the tool of his choice does not
allow him to, he should recognize that other people/development
environments have different requirements.

If he disallows a major engine like the BDE he should be able to
produce tangible evidence of security-problems that do not apply to
ODBC too.

Ciao, MM

Other Threads