Use of SQL Server timestamp fields

This is a repeat of a message I posted to the CPP Builder SQL Servers
group a few days ago:

Forgive me if I'm incorrect, but I could have sworn I heard a number
of individuals assert that for live queries, if the BDE locates a
timestamp field in the table being updated (row version; not
date/time), it will use the timestamp field automatically (along with
the primary key) in the where clause as opposed to simply listing all
the tables's fields (standard upWhereAll behavior). Is this true or
just hearsay? Thanks.

Matt Jacobs

--

My reply-to address is purposely mangled to thwart auto-reply bots.
Please remove the two leading underscores if you wish to reply via

Re:Use of SQL Server timestamp fields

I think it will use the timestamp field to identify if the row changed after
you read it.

To use in a where clause you will need to use primary key or an identity
column.

Arthur

Matt Jacobs wrote in message <856gju$sa...@bornews.borland.com>...
>This is a repeat of a message I posted to the CPP Builder SQL Servers
>group a few days ago:

>Forgive me if I'm incorrect, but I could have sworn I heard a number
>of individuals assert that for live queries, if the BDE locates a
>timestamp field in the table being updated (row version; not
>date/time), it will use the timestamp field automatically (along with
>the primary key) in the where clause as opposed to simply listing all
>the tables's fields (standard upWhereAll behavior). Is this true or
>just hearsay? Thanks.

>Matt Jacobs

>--

>My reply-to address is purposely mangled to thwart auto-reply bots.
>Please remove the two leading underscores if you wish to reply via
>e-mail.

Other Threads