Board index » delphi » Error: "Operation not applicable"

Error: "Operation not applicable"

Hi there

I've been getting this error whenever I try to open a filtered or linked
(master-detail) table. It started when I had to install ODBC 3.0 -
everything else works fine - I just can't do master/detail on my machine. If
I compile the app and take it to another machine running ODBC 2 then
everything works.

I found a patch on borland's web site (dbclient.dll), that claimed to fix
this problem, but that is for TClientDataSet (part of the client/server
version of Delphi - I'm using Pro, of course!).

Any suggestions? (My boss doesn't think I need ANOTHER machine here! ;-)

Cheers

Joel

 

Re:Error: "Operation not applicable"


I have been getting the error using PARAM with TStoreProc and TQuery
components.  ODBC sqlserver driver 2.65 works OK, ODBC 3.5.0305 (mdac 1.5c)
does not.  You can reload the old SQLSRV32.DLL and it will work, but lose
the 3.0 "features".

Good Luck.

Quote
Joel Hammond-Turner wrote in message

<889527606.13702.0.nnrp-04.c2462...@news.demon.co.uk>...
Quote
>Hi there

>I've been getting this error whenever I try to open a filtered or linked
>(master-detail) table. It started when I had to install ODBC 3.0 -
>everything else works fine - I just can't do master/detail on my machine.
If
>I compile the app and take it to another machine running ODBC 2 then
>everything works.

>I found a patch on borland's web site (dbclient.dll), that claimed to fix
>this problem, but that is for TClientDataSet (part of the client/server
>version of Delphi - I'm using Pro, of course!).

>Any suggestions? (My boss doesn't think I need ANOTHER machine here! ;-)

>Cheers

>Joel

Re:Error: "Operation not applicable"


Quote
glen beer wrote in message <6e6fvs$ag...@forums.borland.com>...
>I have been getting the error using PARAM with TStoreProc and TQuery
>components.  ODBC sqlserver driver 2.65 works OK, ODBC 3.5.0305 (mdac 1.5c)
>does not.  You can reload the old SQLSRV32.DLL and it will work, but lose
>the 3.0 "features".

Yea, I thought of that too, Glen. Unfortunately, the same machine runs the
intranet IIS server for the office, and that NEEDS ODBC 3.0 (afair).

It's an issue that needs to be resolved regardless.

Cheers

Joel

Re:Error: "Operation not applicable"


Yes, I have that same problem. IIS 4.0 is shipped with 3.5.0305 drivers.  I
am converting to ODBCExpress but slowly.
Other workaround is to not use Param in the Query. You would have to add
(Sql.ADD) the variables in a where statement. Elimate the TStoredProc by
using a TQuery with also doing the SQL.ADD to build the call to the stored
procedure.
Good Luck.

Quote
Joel Hammond-Turner wrote in message

<889695519.19564.0.nnrp-08.c2462...@news.demon.co.uk>...
Quote

>glen beer wrote in message <6e6fvs$ag...@forums.borland.com>...
>>I have been getting the error using PARAM with TStoreProc and TQuery
>>components.  ODBC sqlserver driver 2.65 works OK, ODBC 3.5.0305 (mdac
1.5c)
>>does not.  You can reload the old SQLSRV32.DLL and it will work, but lose
>>the 3.0 "features".

>Yea, I thought of that too, Glen. Unfortunately, the same machine runs the
>intranet IIS server for the office, and that NEEDS ODBC 3.0 (afair).

>It's an issue that needs to be resolved regardless.

>Cheers

>Joel

Re:Error: "Operation not applicable"


Hi everyone,

I got the same error before in delphi 2.01 c/s. I found out that performing
a query with a memo field in the select-statement caused this error.:
'select name, street, memo from table'

After removing the memo-field from the statement, everything worked fine for
me.

The error occured mainly when I tried to get the amount of records given
back from the query-result: 'tquery.recordcount.'

Another solution seems to be inserting the following code to your app:

    tquery.open;
    tquery.last;
    tquery.recordcount;

Perhaps it helps a little bit.

Mike from Germany

Joel Hammond-Turner schrieb in Nachricht
<889527606.13702.0.nnrp-04.c2462...@news.demon.co.uk>...

Quote
>Hi there

>I've been getting this error whenever I try to open a filtered or linked
>(master-detail) table. It started when I had to install ODBC 3.0 -
>everything else works fine - I just can't do master/detail on my machine.
If
>I compile the app and take it to another machine running ODBC 2 then
>everything works.

>I found a patch on borland's web site (dbclient.dll), that claimed to fix
>this problem, but that is for TClientDataSet (part of the client/server
>version of Delphi - I'm using Pro, of course!).

>Any suggestions? (My boss doesn't think I need ANOTHER machine here! ;-)

>Cheers

>Joel

Other Threads