IB 6.x server + IB 5.6 Clients

Hi all,

are there any known problems in using InterBase 6.x Server and InterBase
5.6 Clients in a Client/Server environment?
Thanks for your help

Florian

------------------------
Dr. Florian Ziemann
PENPLAN Consulting
Jakob-Klar-Str. 14
80796 Mnchen
Tel. 089-2737197-39
Fax  089-2737197-65
Mail ziem...@penplan.com

Re:IB 6.x server + IB 5.6 Clients

In article <3D41A703.DEC3C...@penplan.com>, ziem...@penplan.com says...
> are there any known problems in using InterBase 6.x Server and InterBase
> 5.6 Clients in a Client/Server environment?

        Mismatched clients and servers give strange errors when you least
expect them.  I recommend you do not do this.

        -Craig

     InterBase PLANalyzer (Free IB optimization tool):
          http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPLANalyzer

Re:IB 6.x server + IB 5.6 Clients

In article <3D41A703.DEC3C...@penplan.com>, Florian Ziemann says...

> are there any known problems in using InterBase 6.x Server and InterBase
> 5.6 Clients in a Client/Server environment?

Yes.  Your should always use the exact same client version as server
version.  If you want to have different client versions talking to their
respective server versions on the same machine, that is doable.

Re:IB 6.x server + IB 5.6 Clients

Craig,

>         Mismatched clients and servers give strange errors when you least
> expect them.

could you please elaborate on that? I mean, "strange errors when you
least expect them" is a bit vague. Maybe you have examples of what could
happen or already happened.

> I recommend you do not do this.

Also here: Do you have special reasons for not recommending it or is it
more of a "feeling of the experienced InterBase developer" (which I
could accept also)?

Thanks for you help

Florian

------------------------
Dr. Florian Ziemann
PENPLAN Consulting
Jakob-Klar-Str. 14
80796 Mnchen
Tel. 089-2737197-39
Fax  089-2737197-65
Mail ziem...@penplan.com

Re:IB 6.x server + IB 5.6 Clients

In article <3D437ACB.E2C0...@penplan.com>, ziem...@penplan.com says...

> >         Mismatched clients and servers give strange errors when you least
> > expect them.

> could you please elaborate on that? I mean, "strange errors when you
> least expect them" is a bit vague. Maybe you have examples of what could
> happen or already happened.

        Server crashes when malformed parameter values are supplied by the
client.  Other parameters are simply not accepted.  Deprecated
isc_add/modify/delete_user functions stop working.

> > I recommend you do not do this.

> Also here: Do you have special reasons for not recommending it or is it
> more of a "feeling of the experienced InterBase developer" (which I
> could accept also)?

        See above.  I have no idea if this list is complete, but I suspect
it isn't.

        -Craig

     InterBase PLANalyzer (Free IB optimization tool):
          http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPLANalyzer

Other Threads