MDI Child Resizes <--- Why ???

Hello All,

Why does the MDI child re-size itself on an application create ??? I
would like mine to keeps it shape and size that I created at runtime.

Kind Regards,

Pieter De Wit

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Re:MDI Child Resizes <--- Why ???

Hello All,

Why does the MDI child re-size itself on an application create ??? I
would like mine to keeps it shape and size that I created at runtime.

Kind Regards,

Pieter De Wit

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Re:MDI Child Resizes <--- Why ???

Hello All,

Why does the MDI child re-size itself on an application create ??? I
would like mine to keeps it shape and size that I created at runtime.

Kind Regards,

Pieter De Wit

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Re:MDI Child Resizes <--- Why ???

I have seen posts regarding this subject from time to time. I seem to recall
that the behaviour you are seeing is inherent to forms with
FormStyle=fsMDIChild. There were some discussions of work arounds. If you
check out the search site at (http://developers.href.com/) You can search
archived postings to these news groups to find more information.

Melvin Holt
mh...@bird-electronic.com

Pieter De Wit wrote in message <357542F5.5BBD0...@yebo.co.za>...
>Hello All,

>Why does the MDI child re-size itself on an application create ??? I
>would like mine to keeps it shape and size that I created at runtime.

>Kind Regards,

>Pieter De Wit

Re:MDI Child Resizes <--- Why ???

On Wed, 03 Jun 1998 14:35:01 +0200, Pieter De Wit <dewi...@yebo.co.za>
wrote:

> Why does the MDI child re-size itself on an application create ?

That is the way the Microsoft Windows MDI implementation works.

> I would like mine to keeps it shape and size that I created
> at runtime

I know, almost everyone who uses Microsoft's MDI system (which Delphi
merely encapsulates) finds this behavior irritating. The only thing
which the Microsoft MDI system allows is for you to change the
window's coordinates after it has been created.

Btw, a lot of people assume incorrectly that Microsoft applications
such as Word and Excel use the MDI system in Windows. They don't.
Microsoft rewrote a customized MDI system for their applications only,
and didn't include this work in the operating system.

--
Rick Rogers (TeamB) | Fenestra Technologies
http://www.fenestra.com/

Re:MDI Child Resizes <--- Why ???

Rick Rogers (TeamB) wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Jun 1998 14:35:01 +0200, Pieter De Wit <dewi...@yebo.co.za>
> wrote:

> > Why does the MDI child re-size itself on an application create ?

> That is the way the Microsoft Windows MDI implementation works.

> > I would like mine to keeps it shape and size that I created
> > at runtime

> I know, almost everyone who uses Microsoft's MDI system (which Delphi
> merely encapsulates) finds this behavior irritating. The only thing
> which the Microsoft MDI system allows is for you to change the
> window's coordinates after it has been created.

> Btw, a lot of people assume incorrectly that Microsoft applications
> such as Word and Excel use the MDI system in Windows. They don't.
> Microsoft rewrote a customized MDI system for their applications only,
> and didn't include this work in the operating system.

Well thats not nice of them !!!!!!! (Any microsoft ppl taking a hint here
???)

> --
> Rick Rogers (TeamB) | Fenestra Technologies
> http://www.fenestra.com/

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Re:MDI Child Resizes <--- Why ???

If you set the BorderStyle to bsDialog and the Position to poDesigned or
poDefaultPosOnly then the form will appear as designed. If you also want to
prevent the user from resizing the form I think you have to use a
WM_GETMINMAXINFO message handler.
--
Tim Borman
tbor...@nospam.prophase.com

Re:MDI Child Resizes <--- Why ???

Irritating, isn't it? I eventually gave up fiddling with the poDesigned,
poDefaultPosOnly and poDefaultSizeOnly. Instead I wrote a procedure which
looks at the dpi fo the screen object then sets the forms height, width top
and left properties on creation then calls the update method. It works OK. All
you have to do is size the form correctly in both 96 dpi and 120 dpi to get
the height and width values for the different resolutions. I'll e-mail you the
code if you like.

Pieter De Wit wrote:
> Hello All,

> Why does the MDI child re-size itself on an application create ??? I
> would like mine to keeps it shape and size that I created at runtime.

> Kind Regards,

> Pieter De Wit

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------

>   Pieter De Wit <dewi...@yebo.co.za>
>   Mnr
>   Private

>   Pieter De Wit
>   Mnr            <dewi...@yebo.co.za>
>   Private        HTML Mail
>   7 Minler Road  Work: 011 282 6000
>   Randburg       Fax: 011 282 6155
>   Johannesburg   Home: 011 282 6394
>   Gauteng        Netscape Conference Address
>   2000           Netscape Conference DLS Server
>   South Africa
>   Additional Information:
>   Last Name     De Wit
>   First Name    Pieter