Why doesn't this alias work?

The setting:
laptop with Windows95 (osr 2.5), MS-ACCESS97, Delphi 3 client/server, BDE
(version 4.00).

I just formatted my laptop and now I'm trying to get my old project to work,
so I recreated the alias it needed to talk with the Access-database. But the
alias doesn't work. First it complained it wanted a Dao3032.dll, put that
.dll in the directory is watch searching but now when I open the alias or
the project I get a general SQL error (-2147221164).....

What am I missing? It used to work fine before (same Delphi, BDE, Access,
different Windows95 version, I suspect Osr 2.0)

Any advice is welcome...

Thank you,

Liset Vossen
The Netherlands

Re:Why doesn't this alias work?

As a start, why not upgrade to a more recent version of the BDE, version
5.00 is the latest. You can get it directly from Inprise (formerly Borland)
at their web site.

Andr N.

Lee-Z a crit dans le message <6uqfq8$hv...@freyja.bart.nl>...

>The setting:
>laptop with Windows95 (osr 2.5), MS-ACCESS97, Delphi 3 client/server, BDE
>(version 4.00).

>I just formatted my laptop and now I'm trying to get my old project to
work,
>so I recreated the alias it needed to talk with the Access-database. But
the
>alias doesn't work. First it complained it wanted a Dao3032.dll, put that
>..dll in the directory is watch searching but now when I open the alias or
>the project I get a general SQL error (-2147221164).....

>What am I missing? It used to work fine before (same Delphi, BDE, Access,
>different Windows95 version, I suspect Osr 2.0)

>Any advice is welcome...

>Thank you,

>Liset Vossen
>The Netherlands

Re:Why doesn't this alias work?

BDE v4   DOES NOT by default allow use of Access97
You need to use MS-DAO/JET v3.5 and tell the BDE to use
IDDAO35.dll
Lee-Z wrote:
> The setting:
> laptop with Windows95 (osr 2.5), MS-ACCESS97, Delphi 3 client/server, BDE
> (version 4.00).

> I just formatted my laptop and now I'm trying to get my old project to work,
> so I recreated the alias it needed to talk with the Access-database. But the
> alias doesn't work. First it complained it wanted a Dao3032.dll, put that
> .dll in the directory is watch searching but now when I open the alias or
> the project I get a general SQL error (-2147221164).....

> What am I missing? It used to work fine before (same Delphi, BDE, Access,
> different Windows95 version, I suspect Osr 2.0)

> Any advice is welcome...

> Thank you,

> Liset Vossen
> The Netherlands

Re:Why doesn't this alias work?

Andr Nicoulin heeft geschreven in bericht
<6ur61a$j5...@news.interpoint.ch>...

>As a start, why not upgrade to a more recent version of the BDE, version
>5.00 is the latest. You can get it directly from Inprise (formerly Borland)
>at their web site.

>Andr N.

Okay, did that, but how do I proceed (cause I still get an SQL-error at
opening the alias).

Liset

Re:Why doesn't this alias work?

Steven Culliver heeft geschreven in bericht
<3611D764.2A8BB...@gsbme.unsw.edu.au>...

>BDE v4   DOES NOT by default allow use of Access97
>You need to use MS-DAO/JET v3.5 and tell the BDE to use
>IDDAO35.dll

I now have BDE versie 5.00 installed, but how do I proceed from here. Do I
still need MS-DAO/JET v3.5? (and how do I use it?)

Liset

Re:Why doesn't this alias work?

Re:Why doesn't this alias work?

The problem was that my DAO3032.DLL wasn't registered. After doing so, it
all worked fine (as far as I can tell now).

Thanks for the tips

Liset

Re:Why doesn't this alias work?

Ah, the joys of Microsoft install setups.

I just finished organising one customer who had machine with a DAO
installation.  So I organise for them the DAO/JET which is downloadable
from the MS site.  BUT they found it would not install on some installations
of WinNT4.  Why I still don't know (there's a 1000kilometres between
myself and the customer)?  But the installation setup did not report any
problems but not all the files installed.  This an MS setup.exe so why
should I be surprised!
(Oh, BTW I solved the problem by writting my own install script through
Installshield.)

Lee-Z wrote:
> The problem was that my DAO3032.DLL wasn't registered. After doing so, it
> all worked fine (as far as I can tell now).

Other Threads