Locate/ Find Next without switching indexes

I have nearly finished writing an app that uses DBF files of around
250,000 records.

My question is, finding the first record using 'Locate' is fine, but
how do I find the next record?

The problem is I cannot change the index (for the search) for 2 reasons:

1. I am using Ranges to limit the records (filters are too slow)
2. Switching indexes takes time

Is there any way to find the next record matching a certain condition
(eg ORGANISATI = 'TESCO STORES LTD')
---
Also, Once I have found a match, I need to know if it is the only
match. (An answer to the above question would solve this, but
otherwise I would like to find any other better ways). Currently, I
apply a filter to the data equivilant to the match condition - This
takes time. I then need to find out if only 1 record was returned.
The 'recordcount' function is rediculously slow (even if only 1
record was matched) so I fetch next and fetch prior (if I was able to
do either of these without hitting BOF or EOF then more than one
record was found)..   Is there a better way?

Note I have tried all of the above with SQL, SQLs seem to be too slow
- I am looking for split second responses.

Thanks for any help.

CARL NUNN
Aligned Assetts