Board index » delphi » MDI App - Scroll Bar 'Problem'

MDI App - Scroll Bar 'Problem'

I am using Delphi 1.02 to create an instrumentation application.

I am using MDI - each child window showing different information.

I want to make best use of the 800x600 screen resolution, and I would
like to tile the windows so that left-hand edges are at -1, to push the
single black child window boarders off the screen. When I do this the
main window scroll bars dutifully appear since part of the child windows
now lie outside of the client area. I would like to disable these bars,
but if I set the main form scrollbar.visible properties to false it
makes no difference - up the little blighters pop regardless.

Any suggestions how I might be able to dampen the enthusiasm of these
scroll bars to appear ?

Kevin Urben

 

Re:MDI App - Scroll Bar 'Problem'


Quote
Kevin Urben wrote:

> I am using MDI - each child window showing different information.

> Any suggestions how I might be able to dampen the enthusiasm of these
> scroll bars to appear ?

Well, how about not using MDI?  :*)

M.

--
Martin Larsson, author of several unknown utilities for DOS and Windows.
mailto:martin.lars...@delfi-data.msmail.telemax.no
http://www.delfidata.no/users/~martin
X.400:G=martin;S=larsson;O=delfi-data;P=msmail;A=telemax;C=no

Re:MDI App - Scroll Bar 'Problem'


Quote
Kevin Urben wrote:

> I am using Delphi 1.02 to create an instrumentation application.

> I am using MDI - each child window showing different information.

> I want to make best use of the 800x600 screen resolution, and I would
> like to tile the windows so that left-hand edges are at -1, to push the
> single black child window boarders off the screen. When I do this the
> main window scroll bars dutifully appear since part of the child windows
> now lie outside of the client area. I would like to disable these bars,
> but if I set the main form scrollbar.visible properties to false it
> makes no difference - up the little blighters pop regardless.

> Any suggestions how I might be able to dampen the enthusiasm of these
> scroll bars to appear ?

> Kevin Urben

Try setting the range property of the scrollbar to be less than the
client width.  Also, Are you doing this at design time or in code.  I
have found the visible propety to work only on a form's create method.

Chris beattie

Re:MDI App - Scroll Bar 'Problem'


Quote
>Try setting the range property of the scrollbar to be less than the
>client width.  Also, Are you doing this at design time or in code.  I
>have found the visible propety to work only on a form's create method.

>Chris beattie

I've tried setting xxxScrollBar.Visible' to False at design time and at
run-time (in the Form.OnCreate handler). The scroll bars appear all the
same. Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Kevin Urben

Re:MDI App - Scroll Bar 'Problem'


In article <32005E8B.6...@delfi-data.msmail.telemax.no>, Martin Larsson
<martin.lars...@delfi-data.msmail.telemax.no> writes

Quote
>Kevin Urben wrote:

>> I am using MDI - each child window showing different information.

>> Any suggestions how I might be able to dampen the enthusiasm of these
>> scroll bars to appear ?

>Well, how about not using MDI?  :*)

>M.

Hmmm - interesting suggestion. But then my little windows would be free
to go anywhere they liked - could lead to chaos. Also, MDI allows the
user minimise windows not currently interesting to icons within the main
window, so they don't get lost. MDI does keep everything neat and tidy.

Also, there's the neat-o stuff you can do with menu merging, whereby
different options appear in the main menu depending on which window is
active. That might be a bit tricky to hand code.

Back to the scroll bars - they do serve a purpose I suppose, at least
they allow people with VGA 640x480 screens, poor souls, to run the app.
I just get a bit miffed when properties like HorzScrollBar.Visible
decide not to work.
--
Kevin Urben

Other Threads