Installing BDE (not using Install Shield)

Hi everybody,
Is there anyone who can help me writing code for installing BDE for Paradox
use. I do not want to use Install sheild.

Regards,
Khashi

Re:Installing BDE (not using Install Shield)

You must use a certified installer to install the BDE according to the license
agreement.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
Maybe it was infatuation or the thrill of the chase.

Re:Installing BDE (not using Install Shield)

why do you not want to use Install sheild ?

Khashayar Sadjadi <k_sadj...@isc.iranet.net> wrote in message

8ci5dd$js...@bornews.borland.com...
> Hi everybody,
> Is there anyone who can help me writing code for installing BDE for
Paradox
> use. I do not want to use Install sheild.

> Regards,
> Khashi

Re:Installing BDE (not using Install Shield)

just use youseful.
  it works!!!

www.youseful.com
 supp...@youseful.com
see you at Borcon 2000!

Jeff Overcash (TeamB) <overc...@onramp.net> wrote in message

> You must use a certified installer to install the BDE according to the
license
> agreement.

> Khashayar Sadjadi wrote:

> > Hi everybody,
> > Is there anyone who can help me writing code for installing BDE for
Paradox
> > use. I do not want to use Install sheild.

> > Regards,
> > Khashi

> --
> Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
>       (Please do not email me directly unless  asked. Thank You)
> Maybe it was infatuation or the thrill of the chase.
> Maybe you were always beyond my reach and my heart was playing safe.
> But was that love in your eye I saw or the reflection of mine?
> Give me time, won't you give me that time!
> Welcome back to the circus.            (Fish)

Re:Installing BDE (not using Install Shield)

Your Delphi license states that you must use a Borland certified
installation tool to distribute the BDE. Installing the BDE successfully is
quite complex and you will very likely have problems if you do it yourself.
If you want to write your own installation program there is a set of
installation components called Yousefull that you can use to install the
BDE.

--
Bill

Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Installing BDE (not using Install Shield)

It has many many bugs.
In BDE installation, saving settings, and the most important, I want to do
some tasks that I can not do with IS express.

"Stefano Zullo" <szu...@teleniasw.it> wrote in message

> why do you not want to use Install sheild ?

> Khashayar Sadjadi <k_sadj...@isc.iranet.net> wrote in message
> 8ci5dd$js...@bornews.borland.com...
> > Hi everybody,
> > Is there anyone who can help me writing code for installing BDE for
> Paradox
> > use. I do not want to use Install sheild.

> > Regards,
> > Khashi

Re:Installing BDE (not using Install Shield)

Youseful is written in Delphi and therefore cannot be certified from
Borland. Only C/C++ products are certified.

;)

Re:Installing BDE (not using Install Shield)

thats a new one!!!!. I don't think that is true. if it were it would be like
borland saying delphi is inferior.

But youseful is better regardless of the certification issue.

joe

Karlheinz Sp?th <char...@staufen.net> wrote in message

> Youseful is written in Delphi and therefore cannot be certified from
> Borland. Only C/C++ products are certified.

> ;)

Re:Installing BDE (not using Install Shield)

That is not true.  Borland is not accepting new install programs for
certification, but are continuing to work with already certified install
programs.  The language of the install program is meaningless to the
certification process.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
Maybe it was infatuation or the thrill of the chase.
Maybe you were always beyond my reach and my heart was playing safe.
But was that love in your eye I saw or the reflection of mine?
Give me time, won't you give me that time!
Welcome back to the circus.            (Fish)

Re:Installing BDE (not using Install Shield)

sad part is that quality and  workability dont matter either to borland.
> That is not true.  Borland is not accepting new install programs for
> certification, but are continuing to work with already certified install
> programs.  The language of the install program is meaningless to the
> certification process.

> "Karlheinz Sp?th" wrote:

> > Youseful is written in Delphi and therefore cannot be certified from
> > Borland. Only C/C++ products are certified.

> > ;)

> --
> Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
>       (Please do not email me directly unless  asked. Thank You)
> Maybe it was infatuation or the thrill of the chase.
> Maybe you were always beyond my reach and my heart was playing safe.
> But was that love in your eye I saw or the reflection of mine?
> Give me time, won't you give me that time!
> Welcome back to the circus.            (Fish)

Re:Installing BDE (not using Install Shield)

> That is not true.  Borland is not accepting new install
> programs for certification, but are continuing to work with
> already certified install programs.

I've been struggeling whith and Wise Installmaster and Installshield too
long. Both have BDE issues that should disqualify them as "certified
installers". Most of the problems come from internationalization. They don't
support foreign language setups of the BDE. If you ask, then you get an
answer: It's beeing worked on...

Hopefully there will be an MSI module soon.
But - I know - It's beeing worked on...

Re:Installing BDE (not using Install Shield)

There was an article in Delphi Informant on how to install the BDE on a
server and share it to all the workstations.  For all the hoopla about
how difficult it is to install the BDE, it didn't look that tough.  Just
copy the files and make a few registry entries.

Maybe I am wrong?

John

--
John C. Noland
(949) 643-8328

Get paid to surf the Web.  Or put another way,
Would you be willing to rent in inch of your screen?
http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=HSJ945

Re:Installing BDE (not using Install Shield)

>>There was an article in Delphi Informant on how to install the BDE on a
>>server and share it to all the workstations.  For all the hoopla about
>>how difficult it is to install the BDE, it didn't look that tough.

In that article I only delt with setting the registry entries to point to a
copy on the server. Where it gets complicated is installing on a machine
that already has the BDE installed. You have to deal with checking the
version of every DLL and merging the config files.

--
Bill

Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Installing BDE (not using Install Shield)

I am tryng to make an application that install BDE automaticaly because we
have Delphi 3 whith a old version of InstallShield that doesn't work we the
new version of BDE.And I don't like to have BDE files installed in the my
application folder.
I don't see any difficult in comparing the version of each dll. For merging
the config files there is a bde procedure. Is there any other problem more
complicated ?

Nuno Salgado

Bill Todd (TeamB) <b...@dbginc.com> wrote in article
<8d62v3$p...@bornews.borland.com>...