FoxPro Dbfs with Delphi 3

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out how to use the FoxPro compatibility in Delphi
3.  I've gone into the BDE Administrator to the
Configuration/Drivers/Native/dBase page and set the Level property to
25.  I then used the Databases tab to create a new alias.  I set my
ttable type to dBase and when I try to open a non-production index
with OpenIndexFile() I get the following message.

"Project xxxx.exe raised exception class EDBEngineError with message
'An error occurred while attempting to initialize the Borland Database
Engine (error $2706)'.  Process stopped.  Use Step or Run to
continue."

Of course, I can't find error $2706 documented anywhere nor can I find
any further documentation on how to use FoxPro files.

TIA,
Steve Harp
sh...@is.custard.com

Re:FoxPro Dbfs with Delphi 3

Steve,

Its simple...  As a {*word*218} demo...,  Drop a TTable, TDataSource,
TDBNavigator, TDBGrid on a form.  Hook them all up and make sure that
the TableType property of the TTable is still ttDefault.  In the Alias
property type in the directory where your .DBFs/.CDXs are at then
click on the dropdown for the Tablename property select your database
and activate!   Thats it!  No need for messing with the BDE Admin
here.

I really wish Borland would have put out some special README.CDX or
something, I spent an entire weekend on this one.  Turn out that the
BDE 4.0 will determine the differences automatically by looking at the
..DBF headers.

laters...

Anthony

On Mon, 12 May 1997 15:14:41 GMT, NoS...@AnyWhere.Com (Steve Harp)
wrote:

>Hi All,

>I'm trying to figure out how to use the FoxPro compatibility in Delphi
>3.  I've gone into the BDE Administrator to the
>Configuration/Drivers/Native/dBase page and set the Level property to
>25.  I then used the Databases tab to create a new alias.  I set my
>ttable type to dBase and when I try to open a non-production index
>with OpenIndexFile() I get the following message.

>"Project xxxx.exe raised exception class EDBEngineError with message
>'An error occurred while attempting to initialize the Borland Database
>Engine (error $2706)'.  Process stopped.  Use Step or Run to
>continue."

>Of course, I can't find error $2706 documented anywhere nor can I find
>any further documentation on how to use FoxPro files.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated...

>TIA,
>Steve Harp
>sh...@is.custard.com

Re:FoxPro Dbfs with Delphi 3

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your reply, but it doesn't work.  Again, I'm trying to open
a non-production index.  What you suggest might work for a production
index.  I don't know because we don't use production indexes.  When I
try what you suggested, I get the message:

Project Project1.exe raised exception class EDBEngineError with
message 'Foreign index file format.
File: \\<path>\<index filename>'.
Process stopped.  Use Step or Run to continue.

Since I'm dealing with non-production indexes, I have to use
Table1.OpenIndexFile(<index filename>) to open the index.  The program
{*word*99}s out on this line of code.

Any other ideas?

TIA,
Steve Harp
sh...@is.custard.com

ajma...@slip.net (Anthony Maske) wrote:
>Steve,

>Its simple...  As a {*word*218} demo...,  Drop a TTable, TDataSource,
>TDBNavigator, TDBGrid on a form.  Hook them all up and make sure that
>the TableType property of the TTable is still ttDefault.  In the Alias
>property type in the directory where your .DBFs/.CDXs are at then
>click on the dropdown for the Tablename property select your database
>and activate!   Thats it!  No need for messing with the BDE Admin
>here.

>I really wish Borland would have put out some special README.CDX or
>something, I spent an entire weekend on this one.  Turn out that the
>BDE 4.0 will determine the differences automatically by looking at the
>..DBF headers.

>laters...

>Anthony

>On Mon, 12 May 1997 15:14:41 GMT, NoS...@AnyWhere.Com (Steve Harp)
>wrote:

>>Hi All,

>>I'm trying to figure out how to use the FoxPro compatibility in Delphi
>>3.  I've gone into the BDE Administrator to the
>>Configuration/Drivers/Native/dBase page and set the Level property to
>>25.  I then used the Databases tab to create a new alias.  I set my
>>ttable type to dBase and when I try to open a non-production index
>>with OpenIndexFile() I get the following message.

>>"Project xxxx.exe raised exception class EDBEngineError with message
>>'An error occurred while attempting to initialize the Borland Database
>>Engine (error $2706)'.  Process stopped.  Use Step or Run to
>>continue."

>>Of course, I can't find error $2706 documented anywhere nor can I find
>>any further documentation on how to use FoxPro files.

>>Any help would be greatly appreciated...

>>TIA,
>>Steve Harp
>>sh...@is.custard.com

Re:FoxPro Dbfs with Delphi 3

Steve,

Your right, I even fiddled with this with the BDE API
(dbiOpenIndex/dbiSwitchToIndex) and received the same error on the
dbiOpenIndex call.  It appears as though the BDE not only doesn't
support .IDX indexes nor does it support .CDXs if the name of the .CDX
file is different from the name of the database file.

So..., it looks as though theres support for the FoxPro format, but
its limited.

Anthony

On Tue, 13 May 1997 14:44:02 GMT, NoS...@AnyWhere.Com (Steve Harp)
wrote:

>Hi Anthony,

>Thanks for your reply, but it doesn't work.  Again, I'm trying to open
>a non-production index.  What you suggest might work for a production
>index.  I don't know because we don't use production indexes.  When I
>try what you suggested, I get the message:

>Project Project1.exe raised exception class EDBEngineError with
>message 'Foreign index file format.
>File: \\<path>\<index filename>'.
>Process stopped.  Use Step or Run to continue.

>Since I'm dealing with non-production indexes, I have to use
>Table1.OpenIndexFile(<index filename>) to open the index.  The program
>{*word*99}s out on this line of code.

>Any other ideas?

>TIA,
>Steve Harp
>sh...@is.custard.com

>ajma...@slip.net (Anthony Maske) wrote:

>>Steve,

>>Its simple...  As a {*word*218} demo...,  Drop a TTable, TDataSource,
>>TDBNavigator, TDBGrid on a form.  Hook them all up and make sure that
>>the TableType property of the TTable is still ttDefault.  In the Alias
>>property type in the directory where your .DBFs/.CDXs are at then
>>click on the dropdown for the Tablename property select your database
>>and activate!   Thats it!  No need for messing with the BDE Admin
>>here.

>>I really wish Borland would have put out some special README.CDX or
>>something, I spent an entire weekend on this one.  Turn out that the
>>BDE 4.0 will determine the differences automatically by looking at the
>>..DBF headers.

>>laters...

>>Anthony

>>On Mon, 12 May 1997 15:14:41 GMT, NoS...@AnyWhere.Com (Steve Harp)
>>wrote:

>>>Hi All,

>>>I'm trying to figure out how to use the FoxPro compatibility in Delphi
>>>3.  I've gone into the BDE Administrator to the
>>>Configuration/Drivers/Native/dBase page and set the Level property to
>>>25.  I then used the Databases tab to create a new alias.  I set my
>>>ttable type to dBase and when I try to open a non-production index
>>>with OpenIndexFile() I get the following message.

>>>"Project xxxx.exe raised exception class EDBEngineError with message
>>>'An error occurred while attempting to initialize the Borland Database
>>>Engine (error $2706)'.  Process stopped.  Use Step or Run to
>>>continue."

>>>Of course, I can't find error $2706 documented anywhere nor can I find
>>>any further documentation on how to use FoxPro files.

>>>Any help would be greatly appreciated...

>>>TIA,
>>>Steve Harp
>>>sh...@is.custard.com

Re:FoxPro Dbfs with Delphi 3

Steve,

I'll be sure we make it harder to do next time <BG>.

Mike Destein
Product Mgr.,
MIDAS?&?BDE

  wrote:

  >Hi All,
  >
  >I'm trying to figure out how to use the FoxPro compatibility in
  Delphi
  >3.  I've gone into the BDE Administrator to the
  >Configuration/Drivers/Native/dBase page and set the Level property
  >25.  I then used the Databases tab to create a new alias.  I set my

  >ttable type to dBase and when I try to open a non-production index
  >with OpenIndexFile() I get the following message.
  >
  >"Project xxxx.exe raised exception class EDBEngineError with
  message
  >'An error occurred while attempting to initialize the Borland
  Database
  >Engine (error $2706)'.  Process stopped.  Use Step or Run to
  >continue."
  >
  >Of course, I can't find error $2706 documented anywhere nor can I
  find
  >any further documentation on how to use FoxPro files.
  >
  >Any help would be greatly appreciated...
  >
  >TIA,
  >Steve Harp
  >sh...@is.custard.com

Other Threads