Pentium III Chips Released with IDs - Intel won't budge

        Pentium III chip with the individual serial number that can
track your web surfing and buying habits can now have the ID number
turned on and off by software.  Following some links I found the
www.fightdivx.com website and noticed that they have a Intel Boycott
page with links, quotes and info on why you should boycott the
invasion of privacy Pentium III chips. Just like everyone suspected,
the ID number can be taken without a customers knowledge. Just like
cellular phone fraud, once someone has your unique ID number, they
could pose as you on the internet.  Do not be fooled by reports that
this problem is fixed because Intel disabled this feature by software
on their up coming chips.  Information is power. They want to know
your surfing and buying habits. That is what this is all about. Here
is the link to the page with the boycott info and links.

http://www.fightdivx.com/intelboycott.htm

Also you will find a Boycott Intel screen saver and banner on their
page above. Spread it around.

Re:Pentium III Chips Released with IDs - Intel won't budge

In article <3764acce.5879...@news.earthlink.net> on Wed, 05 May 1999
21:07:19 GMT, Intel No Privacy <Int...@nospam.net> says...

<SPAM clipped>

Spamming a dozen newsgroups -- two times, at that -- is irresponsible
Usenet behavior, no matter how righteous your cause may be.

And that's a hell of an email address for a spammer!

I certainly won't take part in your activities, and I hope others agree.

--
(Just Another Larry) Rosler
Hewlett-Packard Company

Re:Pentium III Chips Released with IDs - Intel won't budge

[cut]

In comp.lang.perl.misc Larry Rosler <l...@hpl.hp.com> wrote:

> In article <3764acce.5879...@news.earthlink.net> on Wed, 05 May 1999
> 21:07:19 GMT, Intel No Privacy <Int...@nospam.net> says...

> <SPAM clipped>

> Spamming a dozen newsgroups -- two times, at that -- is irresponsible
> Usenet behavior, no matter how righteous your cause may be.

> And that's a hell of an email address for a spammer!

> I certainly won't take part in your activities, and I hope others agree.

I certainly do - and just for good measure have forwarded the offending
article to ab...@earthlink.net and ab...@home.com as it appears that it
was a dialup customer of the latter using a news server of the former.

/J\
--
Jonathan Stowe <j...@gellyfish.com>

Re:Pentium III Chips Released with IDs - Intel won't budge

Anybody who really wants to "Pose as you" on the Internet can do it
with or with out this PIII Id Number.  There are a whole host of
Numbers you system transmits out to the web when you are surfing.
Some of these you have control over some you don't.

FWIW - Any body who can get you PIII Machine to give up the ID to then
and then cause his Machine transmit it (or a simulation of it).  Has
enough knowledge of PCs and the Internet to get all of info he needs
to "pose as you" Even if you don't have a PIII.

As far as your buying and surfing habits on the web.  That is also
already available to anybody willing to pay for it.  Most ISPs will
sell that data in flash.  Oh, they may say they don't but do you
really believe that.

These new chips aren't going to present any new issues for your
"On-line privacy" on the web.  This is just easy enough that the media
can some what understand it and cause the public to get all freaked
out with their Misinformation and Misrepresentation of the facts.

People love to hate companies like, Intel and Microsoft but most of
them don't know why.  Chances are if you are reading this.  You and
using at least one chip (most likely more) made by Intel, and AT LEAST
ONE software package made by Microsoft.  Just take a minute and think
about the ways These two "unthinkable monsters" have affected your
life. ....  (I'll wait)

That's what I thought.  Life is a whole lot nicer with them around.
Isn't it?  Well, I guess we could go back to the Commodore 64s right.

That's my $0.02

On Wed, 05 May 1999 21:07:19 GMT, Int...@nospam.net (Intel No Privacy)
wrote:

>    Pentium III chip with the individual serial number that can
>track your web surfing and buying habits can now have the ID number
>turned on and off by software.  Following some links I found the
>www.fightdivx.com website and noticed that they have a Intel Boycott
>page with links, quotes and info on why you should boycott the
>invasion of privacy Pentium III chips. Just like everyone suspected,
>the ID number can be taken without a customers knowledge. Just like
>cellular phone fraud, once someone has your unique ID number, they
>could pose as you on the internet.  Do not be fooled by reports that
>this problem is fixed because Intel disabled this feature by software
>on their up coming chips.  Information is power. They want to know
>your surfing and buying habits. That is what this is all about. Here
>is the link to the page with the boycott info and links.

>http://www.fightdivx.com/intelboycott.htm

>Also you will find a Boycott Intel screen saver and banner on their
>page above. Spread it around.

Re:Pentium III Chips Released with IDs - Intel won't budge

In article <3731cf35.68486...@news.ultranet.com> on Thu, 06 May 1999
17:57:11 GMT, Sean Murphy <smurphy*NOSP...@schange.com> says...

whatever

HEY, YOU ALL!  STOP RESPONDING TO THIS SPAM IN ALL THESE NEWSGROUPS!

Sheesh!!!

--
Larry Rosler
Hewlett-Packard Company

Re:Pentium III Chips Released with IDs - Intel won't budge

I was kind of upset when I first heard about these new chips with
serial numbers in them, however, the other day I noticed that my
mother board also has a serial number in it. I am sure there is a way
through software to find out what it is too. This was on a mother
board with P166 chip. I have a feeling tracking us by serial numbers
have been around longer that we think.

Andrew

wrote:

>    Pentium III chip with the individual serial number that can
>track your web surfing and buying habits can now have the ID number
>turned on and off by software.  Following some links I found the
>www.fightdivx.com website and noticed that they have a Intel Boycott
>page with links, quotes and info on why you should boycott the
>invasion of privacy Pentium III chips. Just like everyone suspected,
>the ID number can be taken without a customers knowledge. Just like
>cellular phone fraud, once someone has your unique ID number, they
>could pose as you on the internet.  Do not be fooled by reports that
>this problem is fixed because Intel disabled this feature by software
>on their up coming chips.  Information is power. They want to know
>your surfing and buying habits. That is what this is all about. Here
>is the link to the page with the boycott info and links.

>http://www.fightdivx.com/intelboycott.htm

>Also you will find a Boycott Intel screen saver and banner on their
>page above. Spread it around.

Re:Pentium III Chips Released with IDs - Intel won't budge

I thought the addition of the ID was to stop chip/pc thefts or at least make
it easy to prove that a cheap chip was a stolen chip.  This seems like a
good Idea to me.

Big brother can always trace us.  He doesn't need us to use a pentium III.

Andrew L. Peterson wrote in message <37322fe3.433346...@news.micron.net>...

>I was kind of upset when I first heard about these new chips with
>serial numbers in them, however, the other day I noticed that my
>mother board also has a serial number in it. I am sure there is a way
>through software to find out what it is too. This was on a mother
>board with P166 chip. I have a feeling tracking us by serial numbers
>have been around longer that we think.

>Andrew

>On Wed, 05 May 1999 21:07:19 GMT, Int...@nospam.net (Intel No Privacy)
>wrote:

>> Pentium III chip with the individual serial number that can
>>track your web surfing and buying habits can now have the ID number
>>turned on and off by software.  Following some links I found the
>>www.fightdivx.com website and noticed that they have a Intel Boycott
>>page with links, quotes and info on why you should boycott the
>>invasion of privacy Pentium III chips. Just like everyone suspected,
>>the ID number can be taken without a customers knowledge. Just like
>>cellular phone fraud, once someone has your unique ID number, they
>>could pose as you on the internet.  Do not be fooled by reports that
>>this problem is fixed because Intel disabled this feature by software
>>on their up coming chips.  Information is power. They want to know
>>your surfing and buying habits. That is what this is all about. Here
>>is the link to the page with the boycott info and links.

>>http://www.fightdivx.com/intelboycott.htm

>>Also you will find a Boycott Intel screen saver and banner on their
>>page above. Spread it around.

Re:Pentium III Chips Released with IDs - Intel won't budge

Think about this, if you want privacy don't go online. In order to exist
in this wonderful {*word*104} space, energy has to be sent back to you to
complete the circuit (communication at the simplest level). They know
where you are anyway, I am all for the boycott and other things, but the
truth is people don't care and would rather be ignorant, so lay off.

--
Sincerely,

Matt Morley
c/o MPCM Graphics

http://www.mpcm.com
"Creating a reality that others only dream of"
-MPCM Graphics

AOL Instant Messenger Screen Name: MPCMGrafix
ICQ Number: 9399711

Custom Designed Computer Graphics and Web Solutions.

Re:Pentium III Chips Released with IDs - Intel won't budge

HELP!  HELP!
THE PARANOIDS ARE AFTER ME!!!!!

                                      ___
                                  Mike Barber

                            Drink Coffee and Destroy

Re:Pentium III Chips Released with IDs - Intel won't budge

In article <7hfv1s$oi...@mohawk.hwcn.org>,

Mike Barber <al...@freenet.hamilton.on.ca> wrote:
> HELP!  HELP!
> THE PARANOIDS ARE AFTER ME!!!!!

And just what does any of this (either the above message or the rest
of the thread) have to do with comp.lang.tcl?  Or any of the other
newsgroups on this list for that matter?  Take it where it belongs,
lest I sic Godwin upon it...

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    fello...@cs.man.ac.uk
-- The small advantage of not having California being part of my country would

Other Threads