Need a push in the right direction

2005-05-27 11:39:47 AM
delphi85
I have an Delphi 7 app which logs data from various local devices. Since the
machine running
the app will not always be conveniently located, I would like to add a web
server to it such that
people can connect to it using a browser and get a couple of basic pages
back that will show
them a summary of the data. Accordingly, I would like to be able to build the
pages dynamically.
I've never done this sort of thing before and could use some advice
regarding technologies.
Which road should I be considering? Intraweb or ?
I've seen examples for building complete web applications and examples for
building full blown
web servers and web sites but I am just after a simple side feature in a
win32 app.
I'd just like it to be able to throw out the odd html page while remaining a
normal desktop program.
TIA
Jim Rowell

Re:Need a push in the right direction

You could try RealThinClient components. They're perfect for what you need.
There's also a small demo on the main Home Page of RealThinClient
components, showing you how you can add WebServer functionality to any
delphi application and create dynamic HTML pages from Delphi.
www.realthinclient.com
Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec

Re:Need a push in the right direction

I'd just like it to be able to throw out the odd html page while remaining
normal desktop program.

Just had a more serious look at all those Indy components that were just
sitting there in the IDE all comfy for so long. Got an simple HTTP server
added to my app in no time flat. Piece of cake. Indy makes it easy!

"Danijel Tkalcec" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
You could try RealThinClient components. They're perfect for what you
need.
There's also a small demo on the main Home Page of RealThinClient
components, showing you how you can add WebServer functionality to any
delphi application and create dynamic HTML pages from Delphi.

www.realthinclient.com

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec

Thanks for the tip. It looks pretty good but I think I will be ok with Indy.

Jim Rowell writes:

>I'd just like it to be able to throw out the odd html page while
>remaining
>normal desktop program.

Just had a more serious look at all those Indy components that were
just sitting there in the IDE all comfy for so long. Got an simple
HTTP server added to my app in no time flat. Piece of cake. Indy
makes it easy!
Can the Indy team quote you on that one ;) ?

Re:Need a push in the right direction

"Christina Androne" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Can the Indy team quote you on that one ;) ?
Of course! <g>