The economics of writing a computer book

2003-07-16 06:57:55 AM
delphi123
Hi,
With the recent threads on Delphi books (or lack therefore of), I found
this article which puts things into perspective a little..
scottonwriting.net/sowblog/posts/146.aspx
Phil

Re:The economics of writing a computer book

Phil Shrimpton <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in

With the recent threads on Delphi books (or lack therefore of), I found
this article which puts things into perspective a little..

scottonwriting.net/sowblog/posts/146.aspx

Phil

Been an author, so I can tell you that it is one of the least satisfying
things you can do, especially for a living. A lot of it has to do with the
country you live in, but I'd definitely NOT do it again.

Re:The economics of writing a computer book

"Phil Shrimpton" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

With the recent threads on Delphi books (or lack therefore of), I
found
this article which puts things into perspective a little..

scottonwriting.net/sowblog/posts/146.aspx
Nice article.
--
Hilton Evans
ChemPen Chemical Structure Software

Re:The economics of writing a computer book

Jason writes:
Sounds like authoring a book is a labor of love. Giving something to
the community..
Some very successful authors have described it as a destructive
compulsion. <g>One of my favorite authors once wrote that "Writing is
not necessarily something to be ashamed of--but do it in private and
wash your hands afterwards." (Heinlein)
Bill

Jason writes:

Sounds like authoring a book is a labor of love. Giving something to
the community..
The article is very accurate, there's not much money in it for most. That's
especially true when the publisher screws up their accounting and only pays
you 1/3 of the royalties due (good thing I got an advance that exceeded that
<g>).
But there's other trade-offs. it is a great "resume" and you get some public
recognition. That most definitely helps with getting work and decent rates,
so indirectly it can make you more money in the long run, but there's no way
to really measure this and know if it made up for the writing time or not.
It's been over 8 years now, so maybe I would do another now if offered, not
sure. I like writing though and keep saying (to myself) I am going to do
more - articles and such - but so far never seem to find enough time.