Re: Delphi 8 "Activation"

2003-11-11 04:49:24 AM
delphi265
Johnnie Norsworthy writes:
Does Delphi 8 require activation?
Somewhere, somewhen, a Borlander posted that CXO level management
believes in activation. Until that changes, I think every Borland
product will require activation. So far it hasn't been too
painful, hopefully it won't ever require immediate or less than 14
day registration.
-Brion

Re: Delphi 8 "Activation"

"Brion L. Webster" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Johnnie Norsworthy writes:

>Does Delphi 8 require activation?

Somewhere, somewhen, a Borlander posted that CXO level management
believes in activation. Until that changes, I think every Borland
product will require activation. So far it hasn't been too
painful, hopefully it won't ever require immediate or less than 14
day registration.
What exactly is Borland's goal of the activation mechanism for Delphi?

Re: Delphi 8 "Activation"

Hi,
On 11/10/03 10:58 PM, Johnnie Norsworthy writes:
What exactly is Borland's goal of the activation mechanism
for Delphi?

Not registered version isn't legal
- better control of serial numbers,
- less ability for reseling.
--
Regards,
Micha?Zaborowski (TeXXaS)

Re: Delphi 8 "Activation"

"Johnnie Norsworthy" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
What exactly is Borland's goal of the activation mechanism for Delphi?
Being a PITA?

Re: Delphi 8 "Activation"

>What exactly is Borland's goal of the activation mechanism for
>Delphi?
MZ>Not registered version isn't legal
MZ>- better control of serial numbers
Maybe.
MZ>- less ability for reseling.
Activation does not stop pirates. Not for windows not for Delphi.

Re: Delphi 8 "Activation"

Alan S. writes:
"Johnnie Norsworthy" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote

>What exactly is Borland's goal of the activation mechanism for Delphi?

Being a PITA?

Naievely beleiving it will have some effect on piracy, when in fact, it
just pisses off legitimate users. Don't believe me? Go check out Kazaa
for yourself.
Warren

Re: Delphi 8 "Activation"

Johnnie Norsworthy writes:
(...)
the price of Delphi should be reduced based upon the volume of
projected new sales?
Aparently, it has been.
--
Leonel
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert

Re: Delphi 8 "Activation"

"Johnnie Norsworthy" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>Johnnie Norsworthy writes:
>
>>Does Delphi 8 require activation?
>
>Somewhere, somewhen, a Borlander posted that CXO level management
>believes in activation. Until that changes, I think every Borland
>product will require activation. So far it hasn't been too
>painful, hopefully it won't ever require immediate or less than 14
>day registration.

What exactly is Borland's goal of the activation mechanism for Delphi?
If the goal of activation is to increase revenue by requiring that all
Delphi users are legitimate, then would it not be a logical inference that
the price of Delphi should be reduced based upon the volume of projected new
sales?
-Johnnie

Re: Delphi 8 "Activation"

Johnnie Norsworthy writes:

If the goal of activation is to increase revenue by requiring that all
Delphi users are legitimate, then would it not be a logical inference
that the price of Delphi should be reduced based upon the volume of
projected new sales?

-Johnnie
Perhaps you should checkout the pricing of Delphi 8.
JED

Re: Delphi 8 "Activation"

Johnnie Norsworthy writes:
from shop.borland.com

Delphi 7 Professional New User = $999
Delphi 8 Professional New User = $999

I could never justify spending for the architect or enterprise
versions. I guess that is Borland's primary target market though
these days.

-Johnnie
The upgrade pricing is heaps cheaper and is probably more relevant
since I doubt very much developers new to .NET would choose Delphi over
c#. Delphi 8 pro does include Delphi 7 pro as well.
JED

Re: Delphi 8 "Activation"

<JED>writes news:3fb162c8$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...

<JED>writes news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Johnnie Norsworthy writes:

>from shop.borland.com
>
>Delphi 7 Professional New User = $999
>Delphi 8 Professional New User = $999
>
>I could never justify spending for the architect or enterprise
>versions. I guess that is Borland's primary target market though
>these days.

The upgrade pricing is heaps cheaper and is probably more relevant
since I doubt very much developers new to .NET would choose Delphi over
c#. Delphi 8 pro does include Delphi 7 pro as well.
Upgrading is cheaper obviously, but has not gone down in price since my
upgrade from D5 to Delphi 6 on 6/24/2002. Delphi 7 to Delphi 8 Pro upgrade is still $399.
-Johnnie

Re: Delphi 8 "Activation"

Naievely beleiving it will have some effect on piracy, when in fact, it
just pisses off legitimate users.
Of course it will affect piracy. The piracy they are concerned about are
corporations that just install a couple of copies more than they hold
licenses for. The corporations aren't going to use pirate verisons, but just
didn't get around to purchasing those extra licenses. With activation they
will be forced to comply. Simple and real.
As much as Borland don't like pirate versions of Delphi, I am sure they
aren't trying to target those people with activation.
Cheers,
Anthony Richardson
(My once every 6 months post to non-tech.... now I feel dirty)

Re: Delphi 8 "Activation"

That's not true. Since you are allowed to install it on as many machines
as
you wish, as long as there's just one developer making use of one license,
multiple registrations of the same license are possible and allowed. But
how
can Borland check if there's really just one developer using them?
Good point.
Cheers
Anthony Richardson