Delphi.NET Developer's Guide

2003-11-05 03:08:31 AM
delphi17
Is this available already? Amazon seems to think so:
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672324431/ref=pd_sim_books_5/002-2486487-2193654?v=glance&s=books
Any comments on the book? I lived under a stone for the last one or two
years and all this .NET frightens me. :-)
Marcus
--
"And then we take the limit as x goes to infinity...AND BEYOND!"
-- Prof. Tom Hunter, Swarthmore Math Dept.

Re:Delphi.NET Developer's Guide

"Marcus Mönnig" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
Any comments on the book? I lived
under a stone for the last one or two
years and all this .NET frightens me. :-)
A better orientation might be to review all of
Alessandro Federici's ng posts from the past 2 yrs <g>
--
JoeH

Re:Delphi.NET Developer's Guide

"Marcus Mönnig" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Any comments on the book? I lived under a stone for the last one or two
years and all this .NET frightens me. :-)
Xavier's book are the best the Delphi books IMO, along with Cantu's Handbook
(I forgot the full name of that one book).

Alessandro Federici writes:
Xavier's book are the best the Delphi books IMO, along with Cantu's Handbook
May be, but on a to low level for my taste.
Martin

Re:Delphi.NET Developer's Guide

*Martin Waldenburg*, 4 Nov. 03, 22:43:
Alessandro Federici writes:
>Xavier's book are the best the Delphi books IMO, along with Cantu's Handbook

May be, but on a to low level for my taste.
Are you referring to Marco's or Xavier's books here? Or both?
Looking at my own book shelf, Charlie Calvert's "Delphi 2 Unleashed" is by
magnitudes the book which has the most hackneyed cover and that is not
because it is on of my early acquisition. it is more about Windows programming
in the Delphi flavor than about programming with Delphi. Since, as far as I
understand, we are shifting from Win32 to .NET, I guess I want something
comparable explaining the .NET foundation in a Delphi context.
Marcus
--
If your boss gets drunk and offers to photocopy her
posterior, do not helpfully suggest pressing "reduce 75%."

Marcus Mönnig writes:
Are you referring to Marco's or Xavier's books here? Or both?
both.
Martin

Re:Delphi.NET Developer's Guide

Alessandro was talking about the "Delphi Developer's Handbook" (Cant?
Gooch and Lam) I guess - which covered really advanced topics, and not the
"Mastering Delphi" series which is aimed to beginners/intermediate
developers. Anyway the handbook should not have sold well, because wasn't
updated - and it is a pity, although much of those informations are
available on the net nowadays - but one has to hunt for them.
--
Luigi D. Sandon
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Luigi D. Sandon writes:
Alessandro was talking about ....
I have talked about all of the books of both.
Martin

Re:Delphi.NET Developer's Guide

>Any comments on the book? I lived under a stone for the last one or two
>years and all this .NET frightens me. :-)

Xavier's book are the best the Delphi books IMO, along with Cantu's
Handbook
(I forgot the full name of that one book).
I don't get this. Quite a few people say this, sometimes forcefully or
raptuously.
I have both books. I do find Cantu's Mastering Delphi [6, 7] an easier and
more interesting read. But . . . the acid test is this: when I have some
programming or Delphi development issue, where I need to know how Delphi
does something or how to do something in Delphi, 9 times out of 10 I have
found the answer in Mastering Delphi but not in the Delphi Developer's
Guide. This has been a very consistent experience. So I am curious why it is
that so many regard the Delphi Developer's Guide as such a better book. I
think it might be perhaps better for diving into the Win API or other low
level stuff (which I don't tend to do anyway) but can not see (off the top of
my head without reading both books again) any other area of Delphi
programming or application development where the Developer's guide gives
better coverage. Well, maybe wireless stuff like WAP, which the Developer's
Guide got into in the last edition, but I don't use this either.
Interested in peoples' opinions & eperiences. Maybe I will see the book in a
whole new light!
Lauchlan M

Re:Delphi.NET Developer's Guide

Alessandro was talking about the "Delphi Developer's Handbook" (Cant?
Gooch and Lam) I guess - which covered really advanced topics, and not the
"Mastering Delphi" series which is aimed to beginners/intermediate
developers.
I don't think so. it is many years old, and I thought Alessandro was talking
about Cantu's Mastering Delphi books which are current with version 7 of
Delphi.
But only Alessandro knows exactly which book he was talking about! <g>
Lauchlan M

Re:Delphi.NET Developer's Guide

"Martin Waldenburg" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
May be, but on a to low level for my taste.
They all are, but those I found containing most interesting information
which helped me getting the right start.
But I haven't really bought a Delphi book in 3 years anyways since there's
has been nothing so new to justify the purchase of a full book and I think I
know the "thing" fairly well right now <G>. I tend to buy different books
now.

Re:Delphi.NET Developer's Guide

"Luigi D. Sandon" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Alessandro was talking about the "Delphi Developer's Handbook" (Cant?
Gooch and Lam) I guess - which covered really advanced topics,
Indeed. The others are too basic for my taste.

Re:Delphi.NET Developer's Guide

Alessandro,
<< Indeed. The others are too basic for my taste.>>
Shit - I am probably slow ;-)
Ole Willy Tuv

Re:Delphi.NET Developer's Guide

"Lauchlan M" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
[..] So I am curious why it is
that so many regard the Delphi Developer's Guide as such a better book. I
think it might be perhaps better for diving into the Win API or other low
level stuff (which I don't tend to do anyway) but can not see (off the top
of
my head without reading both books again) any other area of Delphi
programming or application development where the Developer's guide gives
better coverage. Well, maybe wireless stuff like WAP, which the
Developer's
Guide got into in the last edition, but I don't use this either.
I don't find any use for books that tell me how to use a TButton or a
TToolbar.
A combo of Google and source code give me all I need for that basic stuff
(in case I truly needed it which is almost never the case). The type of
development I have done for the past years is mostly related to COM, Win32 and
topics like that. That is what I needed spelled out. The rest I usually
quickly find on my own by looking at code.
For instamce (and this is sorta extrenme but I believe in it), a Delphi book
not covering COM is useless IMO
My 2c

Re:Delphi.NET Developer's Guide

"Lauchlan M" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
But only Alessandro knows exactly which book he was talking about! <g>
See Luigi's post. It't not that difficult to guess by doing a search on
Amazon and using the info I provided (" Cantu's Handbook (I forgot the full
name of that one book).")