NexusDB V2.07 PHP Extension beta 1 available

2007-09-20 05:26:44 AM
delphi154
We are happy to announce the availability of NexusDB V2.07 PHP Extension
beta1.
For the first release of the PHP extension we're targeting Win32 only, thus
you won't be able to use the extension on any other operating system than
Windows.
If you're interested please give it a try and report any problems to the
nexusdb.beta.php group on our news server news://news.nexusdb.com.
You can download a time limited (expires Dec 31st 2007) version from
www.nexusdb.com/showpage.asp
The archive contains extensions for PHP4 and PHP5 (which is of course base
requirement for the use of the extension), please read the readme for
instructions how to install. It also contains a demo script showing most of
the functionality which is modeled after the widely used mysql extension.
NexusDB is working on this project together with Alexander Telegin, who is
the
lead programmer for the extension and who will also be answering questions
in
the beta and support groups.
--
Eivind Bakkestuen
Nexus Database Systems Pty Ltd

Re:NexusDB V2.07 PHP Extension beta 1 available

Can you tell me why anyone would be interested in this? I am not even sure
what it does? Does it allow me to use PHP in your database; to connect
from PHP to your database; or what?
/Matthew Jones/

Re:NexusDB V2.07 PHP Extension beta 1 available

"Matthew Jones" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Can you tell me why anyone would be interested in this?
Well, why would anyone want to connect to a database from a php application?
Or do you mean when mySQL is free (to some degree), there is no point in
using NexusDB?

Re:NexusDB V2.07 PHP Extension beta 1 available

Are you trying to answer my question? I think you are saying that this PHP
extension is indeed a way to access NexusDB from PHP. If so, then that is
more than I understood from the OP (which is why I asked).
/Matthew Jones/

Re:NexusDB V2.07 PHP Extension beta 1 available

My interest would be for 2 reasons.
I could access a NDB server (used by Win32 app) direct from a remote web app
(that is using MySQL) for sync inventory.
On a dedicated machine, running NDB, I could access the same DB using Win32
and Web (PHP). For Example, our Help Desk app.
Regards,
Scott.

Matthew Jones writes:
Can you tell me why anyone would be interested in this? I am not even sure
what it does? Does it allow me to use PHP in your database; to connect
from PHP to your database; or what?

/Matthew Jones/
Matthew,
Yes, you can connect directly to NexusDb from PHP without using an
ODBC driver. If you visit the NexusDb there are quite a few people who
develop in PHP and need access to their a fast database engine.
Sam

Re:NexusDB V2.07 PHP Extension beta 1 available

"Matthew Jones" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Are you trying to answer my question? I think you are saying that this PHP
extension is indeed a way to access NexusDB from PHP. If so, then that is
more than I understood from the OP (which is why I asked).
Yes, that is the only logical use (at least to me). I doubt anyone would
want to write stored procedures in PHP for NexusDB or any database for that
matter.

Re:NexusDB V2.07 PHP Extension beta 1 available

I couldn't imagine that either, but the announcement wasn't at all clear
to me. Thanks all for the clarification. Hope it was useful to others too.
/Matthew Jones/

Matthew Jones writes:
Can you tell me why anyone would be interested in this? I am not even sure
what it does? Does it allow me to use PHP in your database; to connect
from PHP to your database; or what?
Matthew, even though the question was already answered (thanks everyone), i
just confirm the answers. The NexusDB PHP Extension allows you to access
NexusDB without the need of ODBC or similar. It is modelled exactly after
other such extensions (like mysql or MS SQL) and is particular for integration
of NexusDB data/applications into php web solutions. We ourselves for instance
just integrating mantis and vbulletin (both pure php applications) with our
customer database to provide single logons for all three.
--
Hannes Danzl [NexusDB Developer]
Newsgroup archive at www.tamaracka.com/search.htm

Re:NexusDB V2.07 PHP Extension beta 1 available

"Uffe Kousgaard" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Yes, that is the only logical use (at least to me). I doubt anyone would
want to write stored procedures in PHP for NexusDB or any database for
that matter.
I forget which (maybe MySQL) - but I seem to recall one of the open source
databases either does or at one point did let you do that. Not a stored
procedure per se, but rather to use PHP as the scripting language to create
your own user defined functions to use in SQL queries.