Re: Does it rock?

2004-11-18 06:47:25 PM
delphi199
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:26:36 -0600, "Captain Jake"
<jake[nospam]@jsnewsreader.com>writes:
I wish I was kidding. I am running the Pro version on a 2.2GHz laptop weith
512 MB of DDR RAM. Maybe it is all the third-party packages I have
installed.
Any network involved? I notice a distinct slowdown when network paths
are in the Delphi search path.
Also, non-existing directories in the Delphi search path seems to take a
long time...
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: w1.161.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Re: Does it rock?

Anders Isaksson writes:
Also, non-existing directories in the Delphi search path seems to take a
long time...
Especially when they're UNC paths. But that is a Windows problem, not per
se a Delphi issue.
--
Ben

Re: Does it rock?

I wish I was kidding. I am running the Pro version on a 2.2GHz laptop weith
512 MB of DDR RAM. Maybe it is all the third-party packages I have
installed.
9.3 sec here for Delphi 7 pro after reboot, that includes opening a project and a couple
of forms. Full Delphi 7 pro package set active, along with JVCL bits, Indy, the whole Tnt
Unicode VCL suite, GR32, GLScene, DWS2, SynEdit, plus scores of custom assorted
components and experts, worth a dozen megabytes of BPLs.
Machine = Athlon XP 2400+, 512 MB, 30 GB HD, Windows XP Pro.
Could you possibly have mounted a local network drive instead of using subst?
Or a pathological case of HD fragmentation?
Some {*word*99}py antivirus bogging everything down?
Eric

Re: Does it rock?

Captain Jake writes:
"J. Lee" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>Hey Ed,
>
>Does it really take 2 minutes and 45 seconds to load the IDE?

Hey, it takes longer than that for my Delphi 7 to load. that is why I rarely close
Delphi.

Guess that is why that supeeer news reader is so far along :-)

Re: Does it rock?

Captain Jake writes:
"Kevin Berry" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>WOW! You're kidding, right? AFAICR, my Delphi 7 takes less than 10
>seconds to load. Of course, it is the Pro version and I am running it on
>an Athlon 64 3000+, so I guess it is all relative...

I wish I was kidding. I am running the Pro version on a 2.2GHz laptop weith
512 MB of DDR RAM. Maybe it is all the third-party packages I have
installed.

Actually it probably because your on a P4. A 2.2 gzh P4 is about the
same as a 1.2 PIII, and because it is a laptop it gets even worse.

Re: Does it rock?

Or a pathological case of HD fragmentation?
www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,86934,pg,8,00.asp

Re: Does it rock?

Paul Dolen writes:
>Or a pathological case of HD fragmentation?

www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,86934,pg,8,00.asp
I've had disk performance SUBSTANTIALLY improve after defragging my
disk in Win2K. If your disk's really fragmented it'll give Windows
fits, at least in my experience. (Bad cases are really bad, like
deleting a small file taking 30+ seconds.)
--
Mike Swaim XXXX@XXXXX.COM at home | Quote: "Boingie"^4 Y,W & D
MD Anderson Dept. of Biostatistics & Applied Mathematics

Re: Does it rock?

I've had disk performance SUBSTANTIALLY improve after defragging my
disk in Win2K.
There was a post in another thread where someone suggested defragging,
and I gave the same link to that article. But, really, in both of my
posts, I was actually posting as a bit of "devil's advocate". I
actually run PerfectDisk myself. But, I don't really know what
performance difference it really makes--maybe it does, maybe not. I
just don't know.
But, PerfectDisk has a comparison to Diskeeper 9. I believe that the
Windows defrag is a lite version of Diskeeper. PerfectDisk's test
(which just might be biased...) after 3 passes with Diskeeper, the
benchmark actually showed a tiny decrease in performance! But with
PerfectDisk, it showed about a 50% increase in performance after just
one pass. Though I don't doubt PerfectDisk could be better, I find
this amount of difference between Diskeeper and PerfectDisk a little
hard to believe. But, here is the article if you like, as a PDF:
www.perfectdisk.com/products/perfectdisk2k/performancetesting/PD7_DK9_Defragmentation_Performance_Test.pdf
or
tinyurl.com/3mvmo
If your disk's really fragmented it'll give Windows
fits, at least in my experience. (Bad cases are really bad, like
deleting a small file taking 30+ seconds.)

Re: Does it rock?

I find this amount of difference between Diskeeper and PerfectDisk a
little hard to believe.
Using PerfectDisk myself.. A few years ago (when NT4 was new ;-), the
company I worked for did some serious testing of defrag program for our
server. Diskeeper (no "lite" version at that time) never manager to defrag a
disk completely if it didn't have 30-50% free space and even then, it was
{*word*99}py..
PerfectDisk OTOH, defragged the disk almost completly in one run.
So the case story could refer to a VERY fragmented disk, that Diskeeper need
a lot of runs to defrag (if it ever succed with if) while PD goes a great
way in first run - that could explain the difference..
Cheers,
Lars

Re: Does it rock?

Tony Caduto <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes <419d42f1$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
Actually it probably because your on a P4. A 2.2 gzh P4 is about the
same as a 1.2 PIII, and because it is a laptop it gets even worse.
It is a Celeron, whatever that is equivalent to.
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.346