Re: God I Love Delphi7

2004-12-17 07:58:13 AM
delphi245
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
That is not the same as "I won't touch it with a ten foot pole", is it?
It sounded like you considered it viral, or a Trojan.
Usually when I don't see what I could/should use it for, I don't touch it.
And it has excellent grep capabilities.
So have my Unix tools (unxutils.sourceforge.net).
--
Ben

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Terry Jacobs writes:
I just asked my collegue to look at this thread, and he just gave me
a great analogy. .net is like moving from a DSL provider to AOL.
Your colleague may be right that if he uses it, he may notice a speed
difference. But if you don't use it, it is just a bunch of megabytes on
your HD. So if one of your tools requires it, I see no need to avoid it.
And AOL also provides people with DSL, nowadays. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"There are worse things in life than death. Have you ever spent

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Ben Hochstrasser writes:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:

>That is not the same as "I won't touch it with a ten foot pole", is
>it? It sounded like you considered it viral, or a Trojan.

Usually when I don't see what I could/should use it for, I don't
touch it.

>And it has excellent grep capabilities.

So have my Unix tools (unxutils.sourceforge.net).
Yeah, but I can use them in my own programs. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"Sterling's Corollary to Clarke's Law: Any sufficiently advanced

Re: God I Love Delphi7

And AOL also provides people with DSL, nowadays. <g>
If you want to call that DSL. I don't have the patiences for their "super high-speed access" . LOL !!! I will stick with our plain old boring T1 connection.

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Terry Jacobs writes:

>And AOL also provides people with DSL, nowadays. <g>

If you want to call that DSL. I don't have the patiences for their
"super high-speed access" . LOL !!! I will stick with our plain old
boring T1 connection.
Never used AOL-DSL, I use German T-DSL. What speed does T1 give you?
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"Comedy is nothing more than tragedy deferred."

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Andrea Raimondi writes:
Most worries about dotNET are really linked to what's coming next,
namely TCPA and related things.
OK, TCPA is frightening.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them."

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Never used AOL-DSL, I use German T-DSL. What speed does T1 give you?
My connection is limited to 10Mbps, but it depends on how many of us are on-line at once. Sometimes at lunchtime it feels like being on AOL

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Terry Jacobs writes:
My connection is limited to 10Mbps, but it depends on how many of us
are on-line at once. Sometimes at lunchtime it feels like being on AOL
OK, still not bad. My DSL only manages 3 Mbps at most.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere,

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Most worries about dotNET are really linked to what's coming next,
namely TCPA and related things.

TCPA will bring back the demand for Dial-up BBS, I better dust off my 14.4K modem ;)

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
Hardware using software?
It requires a MSFT platform. So much for Freedom Of Choice...
--
Ben

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Andrea Raimondi writes:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:

>I know .NET does not use it right now. TCPA is extremely scary
>hardware, though.

Rudy, that is the other way around. TCPA WILL use dotNET, imho.
TCPA will require dotNET, perhaps.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Re: God I Love Delphi7

dotNET will never work correctly on anything other than a MS
platform.
And it has never been MS's intention that it should :-)
After all, that would harm their core business
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Falafel Software www.falafelsoft.com

Re: God I Love Delphi7

The problem with dotNET is simple: there're so many things
that it is impossible to master it.
But you don't have to master everything, just the bits you need. And it
isn't that hard to find and learn those bits, IME.
Now, the first thing that comes to mind is: "let's serialize forms".
It is? :-) The first thing that came to mind for me was "let's serialise
business objects" and it worked pretty well. There is more than one
attribute you may need to use, BTW :-)
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Falafel Software www.falafelsoft.com

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Once upon a time, when I changed from
BP7 to Delphi I used the same words,
and now, I have used this words again, after
changing from Delphi 7 to D2005.
(but only for two days) :-)

Agreed. I personally still don't like creating .NET applications, but I
definately prefer developing in D2005 than in VS.NET. My only complaint is
the overall laggy-ness of the application, probably caused by the memory
leaks. In other words, a good patch and I will be set. Kinda like the BP7 to
Delphi, just a good version or two and the waters will settle...
I *love* being able to develop my C# apps in a free-form floating IDE (can
you tell I don't like VisualStudio).
-BKN

Re: God I Love Delphi7

Ben Hochstrasser writes:
I have the uneasy feeling that someone at MSFT or BORL is pushing
very hard to create "market acceptance" of .NET through the back
door.
It's very easy to create {*word*97} theories.
In this case, it is a technical reason (not having to write everything
twice), not an ulterior motive.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com