Kylix?

Any news about Kylix in the 24 hours?

Re:Kylix?

Any news about Kylix in the 24 hours?
I missed the audio feed, but as it seems all the Kylix questions (lots of) weren't answered.
We only got the "Borland is focussed on the Kylix community project" lie again.
Simon

Re:Kylix?

theo schrieb:
Any news about Kylix in the 24 hours?
I think Kylix is dead. I am unhappy because I think it was a product
with huge potential.
Just had a look on Lazarus. Unfortunately it seems that it do not come
forward.
Fred

Re:Kylix?

Fred Seymorh writes:
Just had a look on Lazarus. Unfortunately it seems that it do not come
forward.
If Delphi were to sink any lower, FPC might get a new boost. There's too
much Delphi heritage around, enough to choose Lazarus as a "life boat".
Right now I think FPC/Lazarus is _very_ close, but just a little too far
beyond the 'usability' edge to migrate from Delphi (difficult component
management, plus the need to tweak Delphi units for compatability - to
name a few things). Lazarus just needs a few strong hands to help it up
the last 2-3 steps to stand next to D7.
--
Kristofer

Re:Kylix?

Simon Kissel writes:
<snip>
I missed the audio feed, but as it seems all the Kylix questions
(lots of) weren't answered.
We only got the "Borland is focussed on the Kylix community project"
lie again.
So you didn't hear it first hand?
In the five or 6 hours I have been listening and chatting not a single
Kylix question was asked.
As far as i could see nothing went unanswered, some things like the 64
bit thing where answered just about every hour.
The verdict is, not this year period.
This year the focus is on Dexter and Highlander.
The .NET part of Dexter is for .NET 1.1, the .NET part of Highlander is
for .NET 2.0. We could expect Highlander shortly after .NET 2.0 is
released. At least that is what i understood from what was said.
Regards,
Marco.

Re:Kylix?

Marco Caspers writes:
This year the focus is on Dexter and Highlander.
The .NET part of Dexter is for .NET 1.1, the .NET part of Highlander is
for .NET 2.0. We could expect Highlander shortly after .NET 2.0 is
released.
And why would we buy DeXter and not wait for Highlander?
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Kylix?

Hi Simon

We only got the "Borland is focussed on the Kylix community project" lie again.

Any news about CrossFPC then? I know it is off-topic here. Is there a
website for it?

Re:Kylix?

Andreas Hausladen writes:

And why would we buy DeXter and not wait for Highlander?
Where are these defined in the most 'official' form possible (preferably
from a Borland source)?
I suppose that if .NET 2.0 support is the main difference, then anyone
who doesn't care about .NET would not bother to wait for Highlander.
--
Kristofer

Re:Kylix?

Simon Kissel writes:
>Any news about Kylix in the 24 hours?

I missed the audio feed, but as it seems all the Kylix questions (lots of) weren't answered.

We only got the "Borland is focussed on the Kylix community project" lie again.

Simon
Best part was during the Dr. Bob interview when DavidI asked him what he
wanted to see in Delphi and Dr. Bob went on about a update to Kylix.
Dead air for a couple of seconds then DavidI changed the subject completely.
DaleWill

Re:Kylix?

Any news about Kylix in the 24 hours?
<<
I missed the audio feed, but as it seems all the Kylix questions (lots of)
weren't answered.
We only got the "Borland is focussed on the Kylix community project" lie
again.

This is nonsense. Michaels Swindell went into Kylix in some depth in the
final session, and others did at other times as well.
Basically, Borland intend to facilitate a 'dual licence' arrangement where
they hand the CLX code over to the open source community for ongoing
devleopment ('FreeCLX') while they retain rights to commercially sell or
extend the code.
I missed the details, and the logic for it escapes me, but that was the gist
of it.
HTH
Lauchlan M

Re:Kylix?

Basically, Borland intend to facilitate a 'dual licence' arrangement
where
they hand the CLX code over to the open source community for ongoing
devleopment ('FreeCLX') while they retain rights to commercially
sell or
extend the code.

I missed the details, and the logic for it escapes me, but that was
the gist
of it.
I think he said, that the want to have theses two licensing-models in
order to allow for companies to build commercial solutions with Kylix
and using CLX without having to release the source-code for these
application as well. I guess this is a point of the GPL is turning off
a lot of potential users that would want to use it for commercial
purposes.
Steve

Re:Kylix?

I would tend to agree, it shows strong potential, I could actually use
it now if it just supported MDI and a webbroker clone :-)
It is more than usable for simple singe form type apps.
Lazarus just needs a few strong hands to help it up
the last 2-3 steps to stand next to D7.

Re:Kylix?

<<
I missed the audio feed, but as it seems all the Kylix questions (lots of)
weren't answered.

We only got the "Borland is focussed on the Kylix community project" lie
again.

This is nonsense. Michaels Swindell went into Kylix in some depth in the
final session, and others did at other times as well.

Basically, Borland intend to facilitate a 'dual licence' arrangement where
they hand the CLX code over to the open source community for ongoing
devleopment ('FreeCLX') while they retain rights to commercially sell or
extend the code.
Erm. that is exactly what I said? He didn't answer the Kylix questions, but instead
talked about the FreeCLX project.
And regarding the FreeCLX project the point is that for nearly 10 months now,
this project hasn't achieved anything (nor written a single line of code),
for the simple reason that it is STILL waiting for Borland to even give them
the source code and a license to it.
So "Borland is focussed on the Kylix community project" simply boilds down to
"Borland is focussed on doing NOTHING while at the same time completely
blocking those who are trying to help Borlands". And while this is bad enough,
they are also abusing the FreeCLX team as an excuse for not providing an
update to Kylix their customers are asking for.
And that is not too nice.
Simon

Re:Kylix?

Best part was during the Dr. Bob interview when DavidI asked him what he
wanted to see in Delphi and Dr. Bob went on about a update to Kylix.
Dead air for a couple of seconds then DavidI changed the subject completely.
Yesterday there also was a product manager from Borland Brazil in the chat,
who said that Kylix is still strong over there and their customers are
asking for a new version all the time.
Ignoring customer demand won't work in the long run.
Kylix needs a road map.
Simon

Re:Kylix?

Dale Williams writes:
Best part was during the Dr. Bob interview when DavidI asked him what
he wanted to see in Delphi and Dr. Bob went on about a update to
Kylix. Dead air for a couple of seconds then DavidI changed the
subject completely.
I don't think that is fair. DavidI allowed quite a few Kylix questions
to be asked and answered, and Kylix was a common topic throughout the
whole 24 hours. In the last hour, Michael Swindell talked extensively
about CLX and Kylix.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com