Re: Service Pack 1 for Delphi 2006

2005-11-19 10:25:03 PM
delphi108
Kristofer Skaug writes:
How can there be QC's for D2006 when D2006 hasn't even shipped yet?
because people who got it at borcon have been logging the bugs they
found?
--
Liz the Brit
Delphi things I have released: www.xcalibur.co.uk/DelphiThings

Re: Service Pack 1 for Delphi 2006

Now the Delphi 2006 code branch has been freezed.
By the end of December we will receive the final C++ personality patch.
What about a firt Service Pack 1 for Delphi 2006 also in December?
There are many important Delphi QC's again.

Re: Service Pack 1 for Delphi 2006

Kristofer Skaug writes:
But that is not the shipping version of D2006... right?
Dont think so, but why shouldnt they report things they found wrong
with it?
--

Max writes:
Now the Delphi 2006 code branch has been freezed.
By the end of December we will receive the final C++ personality
patch. What about a firt Service Pack 1 for Delphi 2006 also in
December? There are many important Delphi QC's again.
How can there be QC's for D2006 when D2006 hasn't even shipped yet?
--
Kristofer

Re: Service Pack 1 for Delphi 2006

I would hope that if you report a Delphi 2006 bug that affects C++ users,
that it may well get fixed.
If it doesn't affect C++ users, well who knows.
Log the bugs anyway and I am sure that Borland this time will produce several
service packs.
Hopefully, Pete
"Max" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Kristofer Skaug writes:

How can there be QC's for D2006 when D2006 hasn't even shipped yet?

DeXter bugs:
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

Re: Service Pack 1 for Delphi 2006

"Max" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Now the Delphi 2006 code branch has been freezed.
By the end of December we will receive the final C++ personality patch.
What about a firt Service Pack 1 for Delphi 2006 also in December?
There are many important Delphi QC's again.
I wouldn't be surprised if the "final C++ personality patch" is released as
a general service pack with bug fixes for the other personalities as well.
Regards
Uffe

Max writes:
DeXter bugs:
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
Again, I assume these are bugs on the DevCon pre-release of D2006, which
means they may already have been fixed. Or at least I hope so - e.g. #21278
and #21280 (features not working in Win32) sound like stuff you'd not want
to put up with for too long.
--
Kristofer

Re: Service Pack 1 for Delphi 2006

"Max" wrote

Now the Delphi 2006 code branch has been freezed.
They just said they're RTMing the iniital release about three days ago--why
would you think a service pask is already frozen? Unless you mean 'feature
freeze'--which basically doesn't mean anything for service packs since they
don't generally introduce significant new features in service packs.
bobD

Max writes:
What about a firt Service Pack 1 for Delphi 2006 also in December?
There are many important Delphi QC's again.
How can you possibly say that until D2006 is released? AFAIK, John
Kaster is normally the one who tirelessly promotes updated bug statuses
from the Borland internal bug tracking system to QC, and he is in the
middle of his Asia/Pacific D2006 tour at the moment so I would expect a lag
in this respect. I would reserve judgement on quality until the product is
actually released.
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Kristofer Skaug writes:
Max writes:
>DeXter bugs:
>qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

Again, I assume these are bugs on the DevCon pre-release of D2006,
which means they may already have been fixed. Or at least I hope so -
e.g. #21278 and #21280 (features not working in Win32) sound like
stuff you'd not want to put up with for too long.
A workaround (at least for me) for 21278 is to edit the template, so
that the code node looks like this:
<code language="Delphi" context="methodbody"
delimiter="|"><![CDATA[var
|*||ident|: |type|;|last|
]]>
</code>
Note: hard returns *are* important in the CDATA.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Liz writes:
Dont think so, but why shouldnt they report things they found wrong
with it?
I'm not saying they shouldn't - I am only saying there's no need to assume
that the official D2006 release doesn't address any of these problems, and
jump to the conclusion that therefore, an SP1 will be neede ASAP.
Although OTOH it would be optimistic to expect them all to be fixed, of
course.
--
Kristofer

Max sighed and writes::

Now the Delphi 2006 code branch has been freezed.
By the end of December we will receive the final C++ personality patch.
What about a firt Service Pack 1 for Delphi 2006 also in December?
There are many important Delphi QC's again.
PMJI, but regarding this C++ personality patch, am I correct in
believing that C++ won't be included in the D2006 release? I did
read somewhere that due to the fact that the C++ personality isn't
up to par with the rest of the package, it will be released as a
preview (I'm thinking like D.NET in Delphi 7) and when it is ready,
it will be updated. Can someone please clarify whether I read
wrong?
Thanks.

Re: Service Pack 1 for Delphi 2006

"Edmund" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Max sighed and writes::

>Now the Delphi 2006 code branch has been freezed.
>By the end of December we will receive the final C++ personality patch.
>What about a firt Service Pack 1 for Delphi 2006 also in December?
>There are many important Delphi QC's again.

PMJI, but regarding this C++ personality patch, am I correct in
believing that C++ won't be included in the D2006 release? I did
read somewhere that due to the fact that the C++ personality isn't
up to par with the rest of the package, it will be released as a
preview (I'm thinking like D.NET in Delphi 7) and when it is ready,
it will be updated. Can someone please clarify whether I read
wrong?
I haven't seen them say anything beyond this:
bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,33404,00.html
My guess is that they are just setting expectations.
They know it is not up to the standards they want
and know we want, and they are letting us know up front.
What we don't know is whether any of the functionality will
be turned off completely, or it just won't work correctly
in some cases.
Either way C++ will be included.
Also there may be DCUs that change as a result of the update
and so any third party components based on C++ units would
not be available until after the update. If there are any of those.
--
Brad.