Re: Cool! A Variant in Delphi.NET is just a TObject!

2007-10-31 12:08:00 AM
delphi265
Troy Wolbrink writes:
Thanks, Borland/CodeGear, for staying committed to source backward
compatibility!
Thank you for the kind words, and for recognizing some of the
innovative things we are doing here.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear

Re: Cool! A Variant in Delphi.NET is just a TObject!

"Danny Thorpe" wrote
As for using class helpers to implement Variants, I think that
one was my fault. I definitely remember the giddy headrush
when the idea hit, and didn't fall apart. Chuck just laughed
when I pitched it to him.
As I recall you were pretty amused with making untyped parameters implicit
Objects as well--you talked about breaking the news to Anders H that untyped
method params were not only possible in Delphi for .NET, but would be type
safe <g>.
bobD

Bob Dawson a écrit :
As I recall you were pretty amused with making untyped parameters implicit
Objects as well--you talked about breaking the news to Anders H that untyped
method params were not only possible in Delphi for .NET, but would be type
safe <g>.
Hmmm, sounds like generics to me ;-)
Joanna
--
Joanna Carter [TeamB]
Consultant Software Engineer

Re: Cool! A Variant in Delphi.NET is just a TObject!

Microsoft's C# extension methods serve a purpose similar to Delphi
class helpers, but C# extension methods don't venture into virtual
methods.
Nor do they have virtual class methods. +1 Delphi (I think).
As for using class helpers to implement Variants, I think that one was
my fault. I definitely remember the giddy headrush when the idea hit,
and didn't fall apart. Chuck just laughed when I pitched it to him.
I can see why. it is elegant! I have had a few of those moments in my career,
but I wish I had more!
I'm sure Seppy was convinced he finally had proof of my insanity.
Hmmm... Genius crazy on the order of "A Beautiful Mind"? :^)
--Troy