How long after no response is it ok to cross post to a livlier group?

2008-05-01 11:39:04 PM
delphi271
Are there any guidelines on the ettiquite for crossposting to a livlier
group after a post receives no response in the group that seemed most
appropriate when it was posted?
I would think it would be ok after a few days, just as a matter of common
decency

Re:How long after no response is it ok to cross post to a livlier group?

"Jim Hadar" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

I would think it would be ok after a few days, just as a matter of common
decency
You're asking in this group about common decency??? Wow.... :^)
Actually, I would try another group after a few days of silence. Go for it.
Cheers,
Van Swofford
Tybee Jet Corp.

On Thu, 1 May 2008 10:39:04 -0500, Jim Hadar writes:
Are there any guidelines on the ettiquite for crossposting to a livlier
group after a post receives no response in the group that seemed most
appropriate when it was posted?
The guidelines are here:
support.codegear.com/newsgroups/guidelines
I would think it would be ok after a few days, just as a matter of common
decency
If you haven't received an answer in an appropriate group then its
almost never because of a lack of traffic, plenty of people still read
them, its almost always because nobody has an answer.
--
Marc Rohloff [TeamB]
marc -at- marc rohloff -dot- com

Jim Hadar writes:
Are there any guidelines on the ettiquite for crossposting to a
livlier group after a post receives no response in the group that
seemed most appropriate when it was posted?
You don't need a livelier group. You just need a group that has Peter
Below in it. The guy is an encyclopedia! :-)

Marc Rohloff [TeamB] writes:
its almost always because nobody has an answer.
Or the question is too vague.
How to ask questions the smart way:

Jim Hadar writes:
Are there any guidelines on the ettiquite for crossposting to a
livlier group after a post receives no response in the group that
seemed most appropriate when it was posted?
Ah, found it:
You've asked the question in the upgrade group. I think, considering
your question, b.p.d.ide.general would have been more appropiate.
Anyway you have an answer now, propably not the answer you were hoping
for but anyway ;)
I would think it would be ok after a few days, just as a matter of
common decency
Yup. Now how much is a few ?-)
--
Pieter

Re:How long after no response is it ok to cross post to a livlier group?

"Pieter Zijlstra" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Jim Hadar writes:
Thanks Peter and all who replied. Workarounds are better than total
frustration.
I guess "a few" depends on how long my fuse is and what else I have to do.

Jim Hadar writes:
>>I would think it would be ok after a few days, just as a matter of
>>common decency
>Yup. Now how much is a few ?-)
I guess "a few" depends on how long my fuse is and what else I have
to do.
You have a decent sized fuse ;) You waited for more than two days.
I've seen some who would "complain" within a couple of hours!
--
Pieter

Jim Hadar writes:
You have a decent sized fuse ;) You waited for more than two days.
I've seen some who would "complain" within a couple of hours!

--
Pieter
I'm semi-retired. Posted Monday late in the day, was out of town on errands
Tuesday, took Wednesday off to deal with some of the more important things
in life, and came in this morning and checked for replies.
It could be that your fuse is lot like your teeth and forehead, they all
seem to get longer as you age.
Jim