IB app installation

Hi all,

I have an Interbase client application which I would like to distribute and
which I expect to have a userbase who is a) not generally knowledgeable
about computer administration and b) can't or won't generally make the
attempt to pay for a full time system administrator. As a result, I have to
provide a simple way to install not just the client but the server as well.

The tricky part for me is the database data files, as I have come up with a
"satisfactory" resolution for installing the client and server parts. So my
question is how does one generally create a database the first time without
requiring the user to start IBConsole or run separate scripts? Is there a
way to use a TIBQuery or similar IBX component to issue commands to the
Interbase server in general without having had to connect to a specific
database (i.e. I'm trying to create a database)?

Thanks for any help,

Lynn Pye

---

Re:IB app installation

Make a backup of you database and tell to your customer to restore it or
better, write an installation "applet" to run after installation to do that.

--
Sergio Samayoa
Lgica Software

Re:IB app installation

Lynn Pye Jr. wrote:
> Hi all,

> I have an Interbase client application which I would like to distribute and
> which I expect to have a userbase who is a) not generally knowledgeable
> about computer administration and b) can't or won't generally make the
> attempt to pay for a full time system administrator. As a result, I have to
> provide a simple way to install not just the client but the server as well.

> The tricky part for me is the database data files, as I have come up with a
> "satisfactory" resolution for installing the client and server parts. So my
> question is how does one generally create a database the first time without
> requiring the user to start IBConsole or run separate scripts? Is there a
> way to use a TIBQuery or similar IBX component to issue commands to the
> Interbase server in general without having had to connect to a specific
> database (i.e. I'm trying to create a database)?

> Thanks for any help,

> Lynn Pye

> ---

This Code does it for me C-Builder

try{
   IBDatabase1->DatabaseName    = "D:\\Own\\abc.gdb";
   IBDatabase1->Params->Clear();    // clear Old params !!! ...
   IBDatabase1->Params->Add("USER \"sysdba\"");
   IBDatabase1->Params->Add("PASSWORD \"masterkey\"");
   IBDatabase1->Params->Add("PAGE_SIZE 4096");
   IBDatabase1->CreateDatabase();

}catch(Exception &exc){

   ShowMessage(exc.Message);

}

After execution there the new Database abc.gdb exists.

Gr?e

Re:IB app installation

> how does one generally create a database the first time without
> requiring the user to start IBConsole or run separate scripts?

You could also ship a default database file.  Just be sure it is on the
correct platform.  That's a whole lot simpler than doing a
backup/restore for a non-technical person.

--
David R. Robinson
InterBase Installation Info - http://ibinstall.defined.net

Re:IB app installation

"Frost Sheila" <OldMas...@gmx.de> wrote in message

> Lynn Pye Jr. wrote:
> > Hi all,

> > I have an Interbase client application which I would like to distribute
and
> > which I expect to have a userbase who is a) not generally knowledgeable
> > about computer administration and b) can't or won't generally make the
> > attempt to pay for a full time system administrator. As a result, I have
> > provide a simple way to install not just the client but the server as
well.

> > The tricky part for me is the database data files, as I have come up
with a
> > "satisfactory" resolution for installing the client and server parts. So
my
> > question is how does one generally create a database the first time
without
> > requiring the user to start IBConsole or run separate scripts? Is there
> > way to use a TIBQuery or similar IBX component to issue commands to the
> > Interbase server in general without having had to connect to a specific
> > database (i.e. I'm trying to create a database)?

> > Thanks for any help,

> > Lynn Pye

> > ---

> This Code does it for me C-Builder

> try{
>    IBDatabase1->DatabaseName    = "D:\\Own\\abc.gdb";
>    IBDatabase1->Params->Clear();    // clear Old params !!! ...
>    IBDatabase1->Params->Add("USER \"sysdba\"");
>    IBDatabase1->Params->Add("PASSWORD \"masterkey\"");
>    IBDatabase1->Params->Add("PAGE_SIZE 4096");
>    IBDatabase1->CreateDatabase();

> }catch(Exception &exc){
>    ShowMessage(exc.Message);
> }

> After execution there the new Database abc.gdb exists.

> Gr?e

I have opted to use this approach. A test worked for me. In addition, I was
able to use the isc_add_user() function to subsequently add a user. As a
result, I now have my automated approach for creating a table and creating a
user during installation.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Regards,

Lynn Pye