HEAP55.ZIP - Is there a later version?

Hi,

A few weeks ago I found this file inside one of the Russian SWAG
files. Its purpose it to patch the TP 5.5 compiler, adding a $P
directive that can be used to generate interrupt after dereferencing
each pointer. According to the documentation, the interrupt can for
example check the validity of the pointer or implement a virtual
heap - the docs mention that these were written.

The unit was written by Kim Kokkonen of TurboPower. I've tried to
find the locations in TP6 & BP7 to apply the same patch, but until
now that has not yielded any results, so

Q1) Does anyone know of this piece of magic was ever updated to work
with TP6/BP7?

Q2) Is anyone aware of any of those virtual heap utilities that were
supposed to be written for TP 5.5?

Thanks,

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins
pr...@bigfoot.com

Re:HEAP55.ZIP - Is there a later version?

RE: HEAP55.ZIP - Is there a later version?
BY: "Robert AH Prins" <pr...@onetel.net.uk>

>Hi,
>A few weeks ago I found this file inside one of the Russian SWAG

     The product was distributed with "Object Professional", as a BONUS on an
additional diskette with the following disclaimer, (date 04/15/1994);

====================begin=======================

                      Turbo Pascal 7.0 BONUS Files
                      ----------------------------

The files on this disk are non-commercial units and utilities
developed for Turbo Pascal 5.5, 6.0 and 7.0 by a variety of authors,
including us at TurboPower Software. Many of the utilities build upon
Object Professional units; others stand by themselves. Almost all have
complete source code, so you can use them, modify them, or just study
them for ideas.

TurboPower Software provides these BONUS files as a free service to our
customers.

...You may give copies of the BONUS files to anyone.

...HEAP55/HEAP6
  Various heap debugging tools and hooks for Turbo Pascal 5.5 and 6.0.

>Q1) Does anyone know of this piece of magic was ever updated to work
>with TP6/BP7?

     Not for BP7, to my knowledge. <<grin>>

>Q2) Is anyone aware of any of those virtual heap utilities that were
>supposed to be written for TP 5.5?

     See above..

As this topic may not be proper for this newsgroup, I suggest we take it to
Email.

Arthur Johnston
u...@n700.filenet.wwiv.net

--- Gated via The Abyss BBS -*n...@filenet.wwiv.net*-
    (714) 903-9920 -* Westminster, California*-
    Home of --*WWIVMail/Qwk--BREdit--BRCBV*--

Art Johnston wrote:

>      The product was distributed with "Object Professional", as a BONUS on an
> additional diskette with the following disclaimer, (date 04/15/1994);

Although I answered this in borland.public.turbopascal already,
I'll post the info here, too, as it may be useful to somebody:
folks interested in free TurboPower stuff should check out
ftp://ftp.turbopower.com/pub and snoop around. The heap-related
files can be found in /pub/misc/funcs.

trane
//   Trane Francks   tr...@gol.com   Tokyo, Japan
//   Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.
//   http://mp3.com/trane_francks/

Art Johnston wrote in message <3d73fecb-n...@wwivbbs.org>...

>> A few weeks ago I found this file inside one of the Russian SWAG

> The product was distributed with "Object Professional", as a BONUS on
> an additional diskette with the following disclaimer,
> (date 04/15/1994);

>====================begin=======================

>                      Turbo Pascal 7.0 BONUS Files
>                      ----------------------------

Is this BONUS507.ZIP? I know I've got it somewhere on a CD, but at the
moment my CD drive is not working.

<snip>

>> Q1) Does anyone know of this piece of magic was ever updated to work
>> with TP6/BP7?

> Not for BP7, to my knowledge. <<grin>>

But having disassembled both TPC 5.5 & TPC 6.0 EXE, it should be
possible to find the patch locations in BP7. (But then I thought
I could do so for TPC 6.0 after disassembling TPC 5.5...) Of course
it's not really required for BP7 as DPMI programs don't really need
a virtual heap.

>> Q2) Is anyone aware of any of those virtual heap utilities that were
>> supposed to be written for TP 5.5?

> As this topic may not be proper for this newsgroup, I suggest we take
> it to Email.

It's about Borland Pascal, so it should be OK.

Thanks for the info, also to Trane Franks.

Robert
--

Robert AH Prins <pr...@onetel.net.uk> wrote:

> Is this BONUS507.ZIP? I know I've got it somewhere on a CD, but at the
> moment my CD drive is not working.

 119584 Jul 10 1989 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/turbopas/bonus507.zip
 bonus507.zip Non-commercial Turbo Pascal units from TurboPower

   All the best, Timo

Timo's  FAQ  materials  at   http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html

Other Threads