Delphi Security

I'm a new NT system administrator, and not a programmer. Our Dephi
programmer has moved an application from a standalone PC to our Server. We
would like to give certain users access to only certain menu items. How is
the best way for us to do this? We are running Delphi 3 and NT 4.0. Thanks,
Steve Ferguson

Re:Delphi Security

Your application needs to be able to either:
     1. read the NOS user/directory priveleges
                               or
     2. accept it's own password on startup

and enable/disable menu items, etc... as appropriate via a table.

since some table of access rights must be maintained by the application,
you might as well have this app accept it's own password on startup. This
is a fairly common method employed by many multi-user accounting packages
and the like.

bba...@mcsi.net

Steve Ferguson <sock...@northstate.net> wrote in article
<6oibj0$rs...@news3.infoave.net>...

> I'm a new NT system administrator, and not a programmer. Our Dephi
> programmer has moved an application from a standalone PC to our Server.
We
> would like to give certain users access to only certain menu items. How
is
> the best way for us to do this? We are running Delphi 3 and NT 4.0.
Thanks,
> Steve Ferguson

Re:Delphi Security

Use passwords and get your programmer to add the password request at
the start and change the visible property to false on menu items
depending on the password. Perhaps just use a password for full menu
access which changes the visible property to true for menu items set
to false.
Regards
John Collins

Steve Ferguson wrote in message <6oibj0$rs...@news3.infoave.net>...
>I'm a new NT system administrator, and not a programmer. Our Dephi
>programmer has moved an application from a standalone PC to our
Server. We
>would like to give certain users access to only certain menu items.
How is
>the best way for us to do this? We are running Delphi 3 and NT 4.0.
Thanks,
>Steve Ferguson

Other Threads