Using varchar2 > 255 in Oracle

Hi,

I've a few varchar2 fields in the database that are  upto 2000 in size.
However when I try to access these via the BDE it always treats them as a
Blob... if I do the same in MSSQL it treats them as TStringFields. Since the
app has to run against both Oracle & MSSQL this is a major problem.

No sugestions of don't use the BDE please since it isn't an option.

Many thanks

// charlie

Re:Using varchar2 > 255 in Oracle

I think the problem may be because fields that are this size are viewed by
the BDE/Oracle link as a long data type, therefore it says that it is a
BLOB.  Only a suggestion, but why not try using SUBSTR to shorten the field
(if possible), or even SUBSTR on the full field length.  This may be enough
to kid the BDE into thinking that it is a string field after all.

HTH.

Martyn

"Charlie McKeegan" <charlie.mckee...@engn.com> wrote in message

> Hi,

> I've a few varchar2 fields in the database that are  upto 2000 in size.
> However when I try to access these via the BDE it always treats them as a
> Blob... if I do the same in MSSQL it treats them as TStringFields. Since
the
> app has to run against both Oracle & MSSQL this is a major problem.

> No sugestions of don't use the BDE please since it isn't an option.

> Many thanks

> // charlie

Re:Using varchar2 > 255 in Oracle

This is the way the BDE/SQlLinks views Oracle VARCHAR2 fields > 255
(254?), and I have not found a way around it, other than the way you
won't take.

John PIerce

Other Threads