Urgent - running an exe within a form

Does anyone know if it is possible and if so how to run an executable within
a Delphi form. Our idea is to have a main program but make small Delphi
applications that we can run from the program. We know about shellexecute
but wondered if there was  a way to make the transition more seamless i.e.
not let the user know that a PLUGIN is being activated..

All Help gratefully received

thanx in advance..

Craig Heighton

craigheigh...@hotmail.com

Re:Urgent - running an exe within a form

In article <71cjrl$...@news5-gui.server.cableol.net>

"Craigo" <crazycra...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know if it is possible and if so how to run an executable within
> a Delphi form. Our idea is to have a main program but make small Delphi
> applications that we can run from the program. We know about shellexecute
> but wondered if there was  a way to make the transition more seamless i.e.
> not let the user know that a PLUGIN is being activated..

If I understand you correctly, you need to use something like OLE servers
and clients.

Best regards, The Chief
--------
Email: la...@keele.ac.uk
Homepage: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/African_Chief/
Author of: Chief's Installer Pro 4.60 for Win16 and Win32
ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/win3/apps/chief/pro/chief460.zip

Re:Urgent - running an exe within a form

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998 14:53:25 -0000, "Craigo" <crazycra...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone know if it is possible and if so how to run an executable within
>a Delphi form. Our idea is to have a main program but make small Delphi
>applications that we can run from the program. We know about shellexecute
>but wondered if there was  a way to make the transition more seamless i.e.
>not let the user know that a PLUGIN is being activated..

You mean like embedding the other .Exe files inside your main program,
then temporarly save the exe file, launch it, wait for it to finish,
then delete it?

Craigo <crazycra...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

71cjrl$...@news5-gui.server.cableol.net...

>Does anyone know if it is possible and if so how to run an executable
within
>a Delphi form. Our idea is to have a main program but make small Delphi
>applications that we can run from the program. We know about shellexecute
>but wondered if there was  a way to make the transition more seamless i.e.
>not let the user know that a PLUGIN is being activated..

>All Help gratefully received

>thanx in advance..

>Craig Heighton

>craigheigh...@hotmail.com

IBM did such a thing with the Aptiva computers: In the welcome app they
launch a Windows app, but it can't be moved out of a area located on the
form. Dunno how to do this, but you now know it IS possible.

Rik

Re:Urgent - running an exe within a form

setparent perhaps?
make a button on a form and put in it

var notepad: integer;
begin
notepad:= findwindow('notepad', nil);
windows.setparent(notepad, handle);
end;

now either start notepad yourself or shell it. then press the button. now if
this isnt what your talking about then i have no clue.

>Subject: Re: Urgent - running an exe within a form
>From: "Rik van der Plas" <nospam*rvdp...@mlc.nl>
>Date: Sat, Oct 31, 1998 12:12 EST

>Craigo <crazycra...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>71cjrl$...@news5-gui.server.cableol.net...
>>Does anyone know if it is possible and if so how to run an executable
>within
>>a Delphi form. Our idea is to have a main program but make small Delphi
>>applications that we can run from the program. We know about shellexecute
>>but wondered if there was  a way to make the transition more seamless i.e.
>>not let the user know that a PLUGIN is being activated..

>>All Help gratefully received

>>thanx in advance..

>>Craig Heighton

>>craigheigh...@hotmail.com

>IBM did such a thing with the Aptiva computers: In the welcome app they
>launch a Windows app, but it can't be moved out of a area located on the
>form. Dunno how to do this, but you now know it IS possible.

>Rik

Other Threads