IBServer-Process won't stop

Hi Folks,

I've got following problem. I use Delphi's DBXpress SQLClientDataset
component. Now, when I try to fetch a large table (7000 pages @ 4096 bpp)
with about 184000 Dataset some client computers give up raising
an exception stating there is no memory to perform the operation
sort - well I would say that's bad luck. But, what is even worse
is that the server process (RedHat 7.3; two cpu; IB 6.5) runs
one processor up to 99% and won't stop running on this level
even after the exception or even the end of the database connection/program.
This causes the server not to accept new connections - after
I kill this process all existing db-connections are lost and I
have to reboot the server.

Is there something that can be done to tell the server to stop that
process when there is an exception on the client side?

Thx

Marco Warm

Re:IBServer-Process won't stop

Marco Warm wrote:
> I've got following problem. I use Delphi's DBXpress SQLClientDataset
> component. Now, when I try to fetch a large table (7000 pages @ 4096
> bpp) with about 184000 Dataset some client computers give up raising
> an exception stating there is no memory to perform the operation
> sort - well I would say that's bad luck.

        I would say that TSQLClientDataset barely works with small datasets --
with large datasets it's suicide to try this.

> Is there something that can be done to tell the server to stop that
> process when there is an exception on the client side?

        Upgrade to IB 7.  IB has a heartbeat signal which will allow it to
disconnect dead clients, but if a single query monopolizes the server
it won't get a chance to fire.  With IB 7 a single query can't kill the
server like that.

        -Craig

Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://delphi.weblogs.com
InterBase Perf. Monitor : http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPerformanceMonitor