Nonsens event TListview.OnInsert ?

Hi,

depending on the caption of an inserted Listitem (into a Listview) I want
to enable/disable a button. It seemd to be logical to use the event OnInsert
which is of the following type:

type TLVDeletedEvent = procedure(Sender: TObject; Item: TListItem) of object;
property OnInsert: TLVDeletedEvent;

But: Since the only possibilities to add a Listitem to the View are Items.Add
and Items.Insert (both create new Listitems with empty default properties)
Item.Caption will always be '' in the event handler (as well as all other
properties).

The question remains: how can I add an existing Listitem in order to examine
the caption property in OnInsert?

Regards,
Werner Lehmann

PS: The insert happens in a different thread.