Quality 32-bit Pascal Compiler...

Just for your infomation...

A UK software company, fPrint UK, is thinking about creating a
high-quality 32-bit Pascal compiler which has a very high degree of
compatibility with Turbo/Borland Pascal and also has extensions to
support Delphi-like statements and classes.

This new compiler will generate code for DOS, Win32 (ie Win95 & NT) and
OS/2. Their existing compiler, which is for OS/2 only, already exhibits
excellent compatibility with TP/BP and generates code output better
(faster) than Borland's TP/BP/Delphi. The IDE is very much like Borland
Pascal's IDE (in fact, it is based upon Turbo Vision) and includes Syntax
highlighting.

If you're interested in the development of a commercial 32-bit Pascal
compiler (since Borland has abandoned any cross-platform or 32-bit
enhancements to Pascal), please email me and I would see that the relevant
persons in fPrint gets the information. It would be most appreciated that
you include a plegde on how much you would be prepared to pay for such a
professional package in either US dollars or UK pounds (please specify).

Regards,
        Antony.

ssu95...@reading.ac.uk

... There are four kinds of lies:
...   There are lies,
...     Damned lies...
...  And party political broadcasts.

[END]

Re:Quality 32-bit Pascal Compiler...

In article <Pine.SOL.3.96.980211013859.5043F-100...@suma3.reading.ac.uk>,
  Tony Curtis <ssu95...@reading.ac.uk> wrote:

> Just for your infomation...

> A UK software company, fPrint UK, is thinking about creating a
> high-quality 32-bit Pascal compiler which has a very high degree of
> compatibility with Turbo/Borland Pascal and also has extensions to
> support Delphi-like statements and classes.

> This new compiler will generate code for DOS, Win32 (ie Win95 & NT) and
> OS/2. Their existing compiler, which is for OS/2 only, already exhibits
> excellent compatibility with TP/BP and generates code output better
> (faster) than Borland's TP/BP/Delphi. The IDE is very much like Borland
> Pascal's IDE (in fact, it is based upon Turbo Vision) and includes Syntax
> highlighting.

> If you're interested in the development of a commercial 32-bit Pascal
> compiler (since Borland has abandoned any cross-platform or 32-bit
> enhancements to Pascal), please email me and I would see that the relevant
> persons in fPrint gets the information. It would be most appreciated that
> you include a plegde on how much you would be prepared to pay for such a
> professional package in either US dollars or UK pounds (please specify).

It's funny that you should ask this, a short while ago I send the
following to fPrint and go the reply at the bottom:

>On Fri, 30 Jan 1998 17:32:17 -0800, Robert Prins wrote:
>>Can anyone tell me if VP is still actively being developed? (PPro
>>instruction set, MMX)
>VP/2 is still being developed, although the cost of bringing new versions
>to market have prevented us from doing so for the (now very small) OS/2
>market.  It is our hope that we will be able to release VP/2 v2.0 for OS/2
>and Win32 sometime during 1998, including the features you mention.
>Thank you very much for your interest in Virtual Pascal.
>Yours,
>Allan Mertner
>Development Manager, Virtual Pascal for OS/2
> BBS:    +44 (181) 563 8624
> Info:   http://www.fprint.co.uk/vpascal
> Files:  ftp: ftp.fprint.co.uk/fprint/vpascal

Price isn't too much of an issue for me if it offers full compatibility
with TP 6/7 BP7 and produces native OS/2 applications (as it does at the
moment), but it has to stay within reason, aka below GBP 200, if not I
might very well decide to start learning C++ (what a sad thought for a
PL/I programmer...)

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins
prin...@wcg.co.uk

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Robert AH Prins wrote:
> In article <Pine.SOL.3.96.980211013859.5043F-100...@suma3.reading.ac.uk>,
>   Tony Curtis <ssu95...@reading.ac.uk> wrote:

> > Just for your infomation...

> > A UK software company, fPrint UK, is thinking about creating a
> > high-quality 32-bit Pascal compiler which has a very high degree of
> > compatibility with Turbo/Borland Pascal and also has extensions to
> > support Delphi-like statements and classes.

<snip>

> It's funny that you should ask this, a short while ago I send the
> following to fPrint and go the reply at the bottom:

<snip>

> Price isn't too much of an issue for me if it offers full compatibility
> with TP 6/7 BP7 and produces native OS/2 applications (as it does at the
> moment), but it has to stay within reason, aka below GBP 200, if not I
> might very well decide to start learning C++ (what a sad thought for a
> PL/I programmer...)

> Robert
> --
> Robert AH Prins
> prin...@wcg.co.uk

Actually, in the Virtual Pascal mail list, there is a small survey being
conducted to see how much existing users will be prepared to pay... The
figure being thrown about at the moment is around the USD 200, which is
significantly below your GBP 200.

Regards,
        Antony.

ssu95...@reading.ac.uk
 Author of PowerMOD/2

Tony Curtis wrote:
> The figure being thrown about at the moment is around the USD 200,
> which is significantly below your GBP 200.

Oh, how I wish ...! But as a general rule, "you pay in UKP what you
would pay in USD" (for computer items). It's probably due to some
exporting overhead. Computer books tend to have their recommended retail
price in a variety of countries printed on the cover - take a look next
time you're in the bookstore.

Chris.

Other Threads