Board index » delphi » Access97, BDE 5.01, Delphi 3 not handling Commits or Rollbacks

Access97, BDE 5.01, Delphi 3 not handling Commits or Rollbacks

Thanks for any help you can provide....

We are developing a multi-user application that needs to use
transactions to maintain the Access97 server database.  We are using the
BDE 5.01 and the SQL Links MSACCESS driver.  When we issue a
StartTransaction, the application posts all changes correctly.  We have
checked immediately before the Commit and InTransaction is True.  When
we execute the Commit, we get the following message:

'you tried to commit or rollback a transaction without first using
BeginTrans'

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

 

Re:Access97, BDE 5.01, Delphi 3 not handling Commits or Rollbacks


This is a problem using Access  with BDE, I
have not experienced the problem with msSQL 6.5.
I've posted several questions but team-b/borland for whatever
reason is silent on the topic.

To avoid the problem make sure that all tables
are CLOSED before starting a transaction.
(tables used in the transaction anyway)
This is a pain, but I have found no other way
to avoid the problem.

Quote
Kathy Clifford wrote in message <36C480FE.3D6B7...@mindspring.com>...
>Thanks for any help you can provide....

>We are developing a multi-user application that needs to use
>transactions to maintain the Access97 server database.  We are using the
>BDE 5.01 and the SQL Links MSACCESS driver.  When we issue a
>StartTransaction, the application posts all changes correctly.  We have
>checked immediately before the Commit and InTransaction is True.  When
>we execute the Commit, we get the following message:

>'you tried to commit or rollback a transaction without first using
>BeginTrans'

>Any suggestions?

>Thanks again.

Re:Access97, BDE 5.01, Delphi 3 not handling Commits or Rollbacks


Thanks for the feedback.  Unfortunately, we have over 100 programs that
wouldhave to be modified to work around this bug.  I don't get the problem
with the odbc driver for Access97, but have plenty of others instead.

Any other ideas?

Quote
William Riddell wrote:
> This is a problem using Access  with BDE, I
> have not experienced the problem with msSQL 6.5.
> I've posted several questions but team-b/borland for whatever
> reason is silent on the topic.

> To avoid the problem make sure that all tables
> are CLOSED before starting a transaction.
> (tables used in the transaction anyway)
> This is a pain, but I have found no other way
> to avoid the problem.

> Kathy Clifford wrote in message <36C480FE.3D6B7...@mindspring.com>...
> >Thanks for any help you can provide....

> >We are developing a multi-user application that needs to use
> >transactions to maintain the Access97 server database.  We are using the
> >BDE 5.01 and the SQL Links MSACCESS driver.  When we issue a
> >StartTransaction, the application posts all changes correctly.  We have
> >checked immediately before the Commit and InTransaction is True.  When
> >we execute the Commit, we get the following message:

> >'you tried to commit or rollback a transaction without first using
> >BeginTrans'

> >Any suggestions?

> >Thanks again.

Re:Access97, BDE 5.01, Delphi 3 not handling Commits or Rollbacks


Let me know if you come up with a solution.
I'm not using ODBC because the program allows users
to create and maintain their own database names
and file locations.
Quote
Kathy Clifford wrote in message <36C5D7B8.18AAD...@mindspring.com>...
>Thanks for the feedback.  Unfortunately, we have over 100 programs that
>wouldhave to be modified to work around this bug.  I don't get the problem
>with the odbc driver for Access97, but have plenty of others instead.

>Any other ideas?

>William Riddell wrote:

>> This is a problem using Access  with BDE, I
>> have not experienced the problem with msSQL 6.5.
>> I've posted several questions but team-b/borland for whatever
>> reason is silent on the topic.

>> To avoid the problem make sure that all tables
>> are CLOSED before starting a transaction.
>> (tables used in the transaction anyway)
>> This is a pain, but I have found no other way
>> to avoid the problem.

>> Kathy Clifford wrote in message <36C480FE.3D6B7...@mindspring.com>...
>> >Thanks for any help you can provide....

>> >We are developing a multi-user application that needs to use
>> >transactions to maintain the Access97 server database.  We are using the
>> >BDE 5.01 and the SQL Links MSACCESS driver.  When we issue a
>> >StartTransaction, the application posts all changes correctly.  We have
>> >checked immediately before the Commit and InTransaction is True.  When
>> >we execute the Commit, we get the following message:

>> >'you tried to commit or rollback a transaction without first using
>> >BeginTrans'

>> >Any suggestions?

>> >Thanks again.

Other Threads