Delphi 1 / MS SQL / "Text" datatype

I have a problem with the datatype "text" in a Delphi 1 application.

I try to assigen (.fieldbyname('Comments').assign(SL)) the lines from a
stringlist to a field, which is declared as TEXT in a MS SQL Server 6.5
database.
This happens:
If the field is NULL then it is OK to assign the value, but after it has
been assigned once it will no longer change the value. It allso does not
accept the "clear" method to redeclare it to NULL before a new update.

I will try running a stored procedure which will set the field to NULL
before the update. This I beleve will work, but it is ugly...

Even more strange: I have a copy of the database on two MS SQL servers. The
problem mentioned is a problem only on one of the servers... I use the same
laptop as client with both servers.

Does anyone recognize the problem?

Clarence P.
clare...@paulsonsys.se

Re:Delphi 1 / MS SQL / "Text" datatype

The likely problem is that you have different SQL Server Service packs
installed on each server or none at all on the problem one.  Make sure
you are on the latest i.e. SP4 and NT4 SP3 on both servers.

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 00:11:14 +0200, "Clarence Paulson"

<clare...@paulsonsys.se> wrote:
>I have a problem with the datatype "text" in a Delphi 1 application.

>I try to assigen (.fieldbyname('Comments').assign(SL)) the lines from a
>stringlist to a field, which is declared as TEXT in a MS SQL Server 6.5
>database.
>This happens:
>If the field is NULL then it is OK to assign the value, but after it has
>been assigned once it will no longer change the value. It allso does not
>accept the "clear" method to redeclare it to NULL before a new update.

>I will try running a stored procedure which will set the field to NULL
>before the update. This I beleve will work, but it is ugly...

>Even more strange: I have a copy of the database on two MS SQL servers. The
>problem mentioned is a problem only on one of the servers... I use the same
>laptop as client with both servers.

>Does anyone recognize the problem?

>Clarence P.
>clare...@paulsonsys.se