Internet Access To Interbase Server

We have two stores each with their own inventory.  We want to be able to
  have either store connect via the Internet to the other store's
Interbase server and access the other store's inventory.  We have been
able to do this easily on an internal LAN.

However, each store is on a DSL modem with a Linksys router behind the
modem and then the store's computers.  We can configure the router to
allow access to the store's server, so that problem is whipped (we think).

The DSL modem is assigned an IP address everytime it connects, which
doesn't happen too often, but it makes the IP address dynamic.  We need
a way to get the current IP address of the DSL modem so we can transmit
it to the other store.  Any thoughts on how to do that automatically
would be appreciated.

Then, once we have the DSL modem's IP address, how do we connect to the
Interbase Server behind the router?  All we can find for the Database
component is the server name or IP address, with no subnet specification.

Can what we want to do be done with Interbase?

Thanks

Re:Internet Access To Interbase Server

Jack Mason wrote:
> Then, once we have the DSL modem's IP address, how do we connect to
> the Interbase Server behind the router?  All we can find for the
> Database component is the server name or IP address, with no subnet
> specification.

        Maybe I'm not understanding the problem, but if you have the server
name or IP address, that should be all you need.

        -Craig

Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://delphi.weblogs.com
InterBase Perf. Monitor : http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPerformanceMonitor
InterBase PLANalyzer 1.1: http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPLANalyzer

"Jack Mason" <jackma...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> We have two stores each with their own inventory.  We want to be able to
>   have either store connect via the Internet to the other store's
> Interbase server and access the other store's inventory.  We have been
> able to do this easily on an internal LAN.

> However, each store is on a DSL modem with a Linksys router behind the
> modem and then the store's computers.  We can configure the router to
> allow access to the store's server, so that problem is whipped (we think).

> The DSL modem is assigned an IP address everytime it connects, which
> doesn't happen too often, but it makes the IP address dynamic.  We need
> a way to get the current IP address of the DSL modem so we can transmit
> it to the other store.  Any thoughts on how to do that automatically
> would be appreciated.

> Then, once we have the DSL modem's IP address, how do we connect to the
> Interbase Server behind the router?  All we can find for the Database
> component is the server name or IP address, with no subnet specification.

> Can what we want to do be done with Interbase?

I'm not sure you can do this with dynamic IP's without sacrificing security.
you would have to have a way of dynamically changing the routers security
table to allow the proper IP each time it changes. You would be better off
implementing some type of IP tunnel but I think that requires set IP
addresses. The router should be set to route the outside IP address assigned
to the server to the internal IP easy enough, but it must know which outside
IP's to allow to connect.

I had the same problem and had to get my ISP to issue me a static IP so the
router could be configured to let me through from home. If the IP that is
assigned to each store always falls within a given range of IP's, you could
probably configure that range into the router, but again, that makes things
less secure.

--
Woody (TMW)

[How many of you believe in telekinesis?  Raise my hands....]

Re:Internet Access To Interbase Server

Thanks for your response.  We may have to plan a little more.  It
apparently comes down to whether or not the IP addresses behind the
modem are unique in the real world or just the pseudo addresses
recommended by Linksys.

Re:Internet Access To Interbase Server

>    Maybe I'm not understanding the problem, but if you have the server
> name or IP address, that should be all you need.

>    -Craig

The problem is that the DSL modem has a dynamic IP address and is not a
router itself so is not identified to the web at large.  The router
behind the modem has to be accessed to get to the server, so it requires
an IP address for the modem and a subnet IP address to get to the server
on the routher.

Jack Mason wrote:
> The problem is that the DSL modem has a dynamic IP address and is not
> a router itself so is not identified to the web at large.  The router
> behind the modem has to be accessed to get to the server, so it
> requires an IP address for the modem and a subnet IP address to get
> to the server on the routher.

        This still doesn't seem like an IB problem to me -- either you can
locate a machine by name or you can't.  If you can locate a machine by
name, IB will be happy.  If you can't, you have a networking problem
unrelated to IB.

        -Craig

Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://delphi.weblogs.com
InterBase Perf. Monitor : http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPerformanceMonitor
InterBase PLANalyzer 1.1: http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPLANalyzer

Re:Internet Access To Interbase Server

We were able to easily connect our webserver running linux+apache+php to a
IB6 database running on a win2k client.

The client loads a web page running on our web server and the web server is
then able to determine the IP address of the client request, regardless if
this is static or dynamic, though the IP address will belong to the router
(or modem) not the client pc behind it. You just have to make sure that all
requests to port 3050 on the router get redirected to the ip address of the
client running the interbase service.

-MK

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" <cstu...@vertexsoftware.com> wrote in message

> Jack Mason wrote:

> > The problem is that the DSL modem has a dynamic IP address and is not
> > a router itself so is not identified to the web at large.  The router
> > behind the modem has to be accessed to get to the server, so it
> > requires an IP address for the modem and a subnet IP address to get
> > to the server on the routher.

> This still doesn't seem like an IB problem to me -- either you can
> locate a machine by name or you can't.  If you can locate a machine by
> name, IB will be happy.  If you can't, you have a networking problem
> unrelated to IB.

> -Craig

> --
> Craig Stuntz [TeamB] . Vertex Systems Corp. . Columbus, OH
> Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://delphi.weblogs.com
> InterBase Perf. Monitor : http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPerformanceMonitor
> InterBase PLANalyzer 1.1: http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPLANalyzer

Other Threads