Using old Borland C++ project in 5.02

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 08:33:06 -0700, "ggowan6" <ggow...@attbi.com> wrote:
> ... it hasn't yet appeared ... a week after I posted it from Google Groups

These newsgroups are hosted on a private server. They are not part of
USENET. Therefore any echoing is unidirectional. Messages posted in
these groups directly via the Borland server may be echoed elsewhere,
such as on Google. But any messages posted anywhere other than directly
to the Borland server(s) will usually not appear here. Borland does not echo
or mirror posts made elsewhere.

>When I attempt to open the .prj file in the IDE of Borland C++
>5.02 I get an error "Cannot open project" or similar.
>I am guessing this means it is from a version before 3.0.

No, from before 4.xx. Both TC++ 3.0 and BC++ 3.1 used prj files. Starting at 4,
prj files were replaced with ide files. Versions of BC++ such as 4.52 could
optionally open 3.1 prj files.  With version 5, optional importing of 3.1 prj
files was discontinued (although the helpme file for 5.02 still describes the
procedure used with 4.xx IDEs).

>Does anybody have any suggestions for how to upgrade this project

Create a new project.

>At the least I'd like to figure out which version this project is from.

Well, early versions of prj files for TC (not TC++) 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 were
simple text files. Starting with TC++ 1.0 they were binary files. TC++ and
BC++ from 1.0 to 3.1 included a utility to convert from the text style to the
binary format: prjcnvt.exe

>Is there any way I can do that, perhaps by opening the PRJ file
>in a binary editor and looking at certain bytes?

Assuming that you're looking at a prj file from TC++ 1.0 to BC++ 3.1,
you can get *some* indication of the version by looking at the version
info in the prj file. Note that this info reflects the version level of the prj
file format, *not* the compiler version. For example, at offsets 0x1E and
0x1F in the file, TC++ 1.0 will have placed a value of 00 07 while TC++
3.0 will have used a value of 01 07.

There is a more precise method of identifying the compiler used, if the
prj file contains dependency information. But it involves using a utility
(prox.exe) included with the Borland Open Architecture Handbook and
examining the date/time stamps of the files listed. But I think it's more
trouble than it's worth in this case, as knowing whether BC++ 3.0 or 3.1
was used isn't going to solve any of your problems. (Unless you plan
on trying to get a copy of one of those early compilers.)

>I tried creating a new project in 5.02 and just adding the source
>files to it.  I'm a little worried about the resource files since I
>don't know if the format is the same.

If you're using resource files, then it's obviously not from one of the
DOS compilers. So it must have been created using a compiler
which can target Windows apps and which supported the prj format.
This suggests that it was most likely BC++ 3.0 or BC++ 3.1. The date
on the prj file may give some clue as to which.

>"Cannot find header file owlrc.h"  or something like that.

"something like that" doesn't get it done.
*Always* copy & paste *actual* messages into posts here.
Otherwise you just waste everyone's time chasing wild geese
and red herrings.

>Any idea where I can get this file, or if it even exists for 5.02?

If you have 5.02, then there's no need to ask others. You should be able
to find it yourself, if not on your hard disk then on the CD. Doing a file find
is a basic skill for any programmer. If you can't locate it, then odds are it
doesn't exist. Note that the name "owl.." suggests that it's related to the
OWL application framework. There were significant changes made from
the version of OWL in BC++ 3.x to the version in 5.02. You may have a
major upgrade effort ahead of you.

--
Wayne A. King
(ba...@torfree.net, wayne.k...@ablelink.org,