OT-My apologies; 2 questions

Newbie to Pascal, but not the NG's, so sorry again.  I've been tracking
down resources on line and have some highly recommended texts on the
way.  The following are my questions/problems:

I was unable to come up with any <comp.pascal> newsgroups via my server
and Netscape News Groups <Subscribe Group>, but was able to add via html
from <http://www.pchelponline.com/resources/55-00-054.htm>.

That page indicates there is a <comp.lang.pascal> news group but when I
try to connect as with this and other related NG's this one shows a <no
newsgroup> response.  Is that correct or is it just my server?  It
sounds logical that there would be that NG.  If so, if someone could
reply with a cross-post to it, I can try to access it that way.  Any
other suggestions welcome.  Maybe, MIE?, but it would still be via the
same NNTP; thinking out loud there.

Second question is that when I do a web search, I see an fpc pascal
group, but can't find the NG, an URL to try, a crosspost, a web link
etc.  fpc as a NG does not even show up on my server.  Is it out there,
and if so is there an nntp I can use for access?  Thanks for any and all
help
--
"I do this really moronic thing that the government doesn't want me to
do. It is called thinking" - George Carlin

Remove * * to reply.

Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227,
Any and all nonsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address
is subject to a download and archival fee in the amount of $500.00 US.
E-Mailing denotes the acceptance of these terms

Re:OT-My apologies; 2 questions

Frankie <fran...@centurytel.net> wrote:
>Newbie to Pascal, but not the NG's, so sorry again.  I've been tracking
>down resources on line and have some highly recommended texts on the
>way.  The following are my questions/problems:

>I was unable to come up with any <comp.pascal> newsgroups via my server
>and Netscape News Groups <Subscribe Group>, but was able to add via html
>from <http://www.pchelponline.com/resources/55-00-054.htm>.

>That page indicates there is a <comp.lang.pascal> news group but when I
>try to connect as with this and other related NG's this one shows a <no
>newsgroup> response.  Is that correct or is it just my server?

I think that one is dead.  There is comp.lang.pascal.misc,
comp.lang.pascal.borland, and some for Delphi.

Jud McCranie

Re:OT-My apologies; 2 questions

JRS:  In article <39E13377.9BB59...@centurytel.net> of Sun, 8 Oct 2000
21:54:47 seen in news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, Frankie

<fran...@centurytel.net> wrote:
>Newbie to Pascal, but not the NG's, so sorry again.

In that case, you should be aware of the desirability of using an
informative Subject line.

>I've been tracking
>down resources on line and have some highly recommended texts on the
>way.  The following are my questions/problems:

>I was unable to come up with any <comp.pascal> newsgroups via my server
>and Netscape News Groups <Subscribe Group>, but was able to add via html
>from <http://www.pchelponline.com/resources/55-00-054.htm>.

In that case, you would do well to express your opinion of the server by
subscribing to a better one instead.  There's a definite positive
correlation between News headers giving no country indication and the
use of shoddy news servers.

>That page indicates there is a <comp.lang.pascal> news group but when I
>try to connect as with this and other related NG's this one shows a <no
>newsgroup> response.  Is that correct or is it just my server?  It
>sounds logical that there would be that NG.

c.l.p was rmgrouped over five years ago, in favour of subgroups.  Your
server should permit you to see last week's issue of the regular
Wednesday posting "The weekly FAQ item about the Pascal newsgroups'
reorganization" about Pascal newsgroups; if not, it will soon re-appear.
TSFAQP #76 says [much] the same.

>If so, if someone could
>reply with a cross-post to it, I can try to access it that way.  Any
>other suggestions welcome.  Maybe, MIE?, but it would still be via the
>same NNTP; thinking out loud there.

>Second question is that when I do a web search, I see an fpc pascal
>group, but can't find the NG, an URL to try, a crosspost, a web link
>etc.  fpc as a NG does not even show up on my server.  Is it out there,
>and if so is there an nntp I can use for access?  Thanks for any and all
>help

Ditto.  The best NG for that should be c.l.p.misc.

Re:OT-My apologies; 2 questions

>>reply with a cross-post to it, I can try to access it that way.  Any
>>other suggestions welcome.  Maybe, MIE?, but it would still be via the
>>same NNTP; thinking out loud there.

>>Second question is that when I do a web search, I see an fpc pascal
>>group, but can't find the NG, an URL to try, a crosspost, a web link
>>etc.  fpc as a NG does not even show up on my server.  Is it out there,
>>and if so is there an nntp I can use for access?  Thanks for any and all
>>help

>Ditto.  The best NG for that should be c.l.p.misc.

FYI:
fpc-pascal
fpc-devel
fpc-other
and
fpc-announce

are the mailing-lists, not the newsgroups. There was a ballot for a
comp.lang.pascal.freepascal once, but it didn't make it by a few votes.

Jud McCranie wrote:

> Frankie <fran...@centurytel.net> wrote:

> >Newbie to Pascal, but not the NG's, so sorry again.  I've been tracking
> >down resources on line and have some highly recommended texts on the
> >way.  The following are my questions/problems:

> >I was unable to come up with any <comp.pascal> newsgroups via my server
> >and Netscape News Groups <Subscribe Group>, but was able to add via html
> >from <http://www.pchelponline.com/resources/55-00-054.htm>.

> >That page indicates there is a <comp.lang.pascal> news group but when I
> >try to connect as with this and other related NG's this one shows a <no
> >newsgroup> response.  Is that correct or is it just my server?

> I think that one is dead.  There is comp.lang.pascal.misc,
> comp.lang.pascal.borland, and some for Delphi.

> Jud McCranie

Jud and Marco, thank you for your help.  Dr. John Stockton, I'm not
certain if you were really trying to be as obnoxious as your post
seemed.  If I misunderstood, my apologies, but the use of an informative
<subject> in this case Was the OT.  Most people in the NG's want to see
OT and then decide whether or not to look or not.  If I may say so,
while you did give some advice it was not relevent to the question.  A
simple yes there is or no there is not would have sufficed.  In fact, no
answer, IMO, would have been better.  I am fully aware of where to go
and who to contact etc.  All I wanted was a simple answer to a simple
question, not a mini faq regarding NG's.  I don't know if you are an MD.
or a PHD, but what always comes to mind is at least half the "doctors"
graduated in the bottom half of their class.  I did not come to this
group expecting to be treated so shoddily (not the other respondants)
and I really don't care for the tone or the attitude.  In the future, if
I do post relevant on-topic questions, I would just as soon you didn't
answer.  Feel free to place me in your kill file.

To the others, my apologies for the flame.  I really do appreciate the
time you took to respond in an informative manner.  Thank you very
much.  To the Group, my apologies for flaming on my second post.  It is
not my style, but there are times when one believes it necessary to
state one's opinion and, in this case, I believed it was necessary.
Thank you for putting up with me.  Hopefully, down the road, I'll be
back with on-topic posts and you will find I am a very reasonable,
polite, helpful and conscientious poster.  I will continue to lurk and
learn.