Graphic Vision 2.20 for Borland Pascal

I am proud to announce the public release of Graphic Vision, version 2.20.  A
fully functional evaluation, as well as precompiled example programs are
available for download from my website:

 http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk

Registered uses can also download an upgrade from version 2.14 from the
"upgrades" page of above web site.

1. OVERVIEW
 ===========

Graphic Vision is a full featured object orientated application framework
for building DOS or DPMI programs with a high quality Graphical User Interface
using the Turbo or Borland Pascal 7 compiler. The library is particulaly
suited to embeded applications due to its small memory footprint, high
performance and realtime friendliness.

 2. KEY FEATURES
 ===============

 - Built-in, very fast and proven VGA and VESA SVGA graphics engine
 - Professional look and feel, similar to MS Windows 95
 - All the major GUI elements supplied; scrollbars, buttons, list viewers,
   dialog boxes etc
 - Mouse cursor animation to allow mouse cursors of up to 32x32 pixels in
   size
 - Resource compiler utility to generate mouse cursor, bitmap, icon, string
   and font resources.
 - Comprhensive BP7/TP7 IDE compatible help file containing over 2,500
    hyperlinked help topics.
 - Help file compiler for generating context-sensitive help files.
 - Supports long file names under LFN-capable DOS environments such as
   a Win95/98/ME DOS box.
 - Easy non-English and multilingual application development.
 - Fast customer support
 - Bespoke bevelopment available

 3. NEW FEATURES OF VERSION 2.20
 ===============================

  - Support for XMS streams and program overlay file (real mode apps)
  - Improved Delay function, plus more powerful Idle sheduling
  - Some minor bugs fixed.

 4. MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR RUNNING GV APPLICATIONS

   MSDOS 3.3
   80386SX processor
   640K RAM (2MB for the DPMI version)
   VGA Graphics card
   Microsoft compatible mouse and driver (Version 7.05 or better)

 Graphic Vision supports:
    16 colour VGA and SVGA video modes up to 800 x 600
    256 colour VGA and SVGA video modes up to 1600 x 1200 x 256

DOS real mode and DOS protected mode Graphic Vision applications are known  to
work on 386's to PIII's and compatibles in the following environments:

 DOS Versions 3.3 though 6.22, with or without EMM386.EXE and SHARE.EXE
 DOS 7.x (including Windows 95/98 full-screen DOS boxes)
 DesqView
 Win3.x full-screen DOS box
 OS/2 Warp full-screen DOS box

 5. MINIMUM DEVELOPERS SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

   MSDOS 3.3
   386 processor
   640K RAM (2MB for the DPMI version)
   VGA Graphics card
   Hard Drive with at least 8MB free
   Turbo Pascal for DOS (version 7.0)
   Microsoft compatible mouse and driver (Version 7.05 or better)

Jason Burgon - Author of Graphic Vision
 http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk

Re:Graphic Vision 2.20 for Borland Pascal

Re:Graphic Vision 2.20 for Borland Pascal

I need a source code translater from Modula-2 to Pascal/Delphi. Can anyone
help me?

Re:Graphic Vision 2.20 for Borland Pascal

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:36:21 +0100, "Dr.WU"

<ning...@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
>I need a source code translater from Modula-2 to Pascal/Delphi. Can anyone
>help me?

Do you mean a person or software to do it?  I could probably do it, I
used to program some in Modula-2 and I do a lot of Delphi and Pascal.

Re:Graphic Vision 2.20 for Borland Pascal

The DMS Software Reengineering Toolkit is designed to make
such translators practical and economical to construct.
(As an example, we are doing a JOVIAL to C port using it).
See the slides on porting at
http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/DMS/DMSApplicationIdeas.html
"Economical" means it still takes a signficant part of a man-year
to implement such a translator, so the volume of code translated
must justify the effort.

DMS is generalized compiler technology, capable of parsing
and transforming arbitrary source languages, given a grammar definition
(and other semantic support as needed).
See http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/DMS/DMSToolkit.html.

To carry out porting, you need to give DMS grammar definitions
for both the source and the target langauges.   We already
have such a definition for Delphi.    Modula should be straightforward,
based on our experience with other procedural langauges.

--
Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D. CTO Semantic Designs, Inc.
http://www.semdesigns.com

"Ira D. Baxter" wrote:

> The DMS Software Reengineering Toolkit is designed to make
> such translators practical and economical to construct.
> (As an example, we are doing a JOVIAL to C port using it).
> See the slides on porting at
> http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/DMS/DMSApplicationIdeas.html
> "Economical" means it still takes a signficant part of a man-year
> to implement such a translator, so the volume of code translated
> must justify the effort.

A year??? Modula 2 optimizing compilers have been built in few months
(Aho Sethi Ullman, "Compilers Principles Techniques and Tools" page
742). It shouldn't be hard to write a translator. Pick up a good
compiler book like the one I mentioned and write it yourself if you have
the time. It will take alot less than one year. If Modula-2 is described
by a LL(1) grammar then you could throw together a recursive descent
parser very quickly. Build your parse tree then walk it and translate!
God if you push it you could have something in a month.

Barry

Barry Watson wrote:
> "Ira D. Baxter" wrote:

> > The DMS Software Reengineering Toolkit is designed to make
> > such translators practical and economical to construct.
> > (As an example, we are doing a JOVIAL to C port using it).
> > See the slides on porting at
> > http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/DMS/DMSApplicationIdeas.html
> > "Economical" means it still takes a signficant part of a man-year
> > to implement such a translator, so the volume of code translated
> > must justify the effort.

> A year??? Modula 2 optimizing compilers have been built in few months
> (Aho Sethi Ullman, "Compilers Principles Techniques and Tools" page
> 742). It shouldn't be hard to write a translator. Pick up a good
> compiler book like the one I mentioned and write it yourself if you have
> the time. It will take alot less than one year. If Modula-2 is described
> by a LL(1) grammar then you could throw together a recursive descent
> parser very quickly. Build your parse tree then walk it and translate!
> God if you push it you could have something in a month.

> Barry

Well possibly, but syntax translation is not the only thing. In fact, that's
the simplest thing.

Pascal/Delphi must also be able to support Modula 2 runtime requirements. I
don't know Modula 2 much, but if it has
1) Garbage collection, 2) exception handling, 3) fancy runtime libraries
etc. Those can add to effort significantly.

And of course you will end up with translated code that is probably not very
suitable for debugging :-(

--
// richard
http://www.imagecraft.com

In article <3BF4DC19.EC458...@imagecraft.com>, Richard F. Man wrote:

> Barry Watson wrote:
> Pascal/Delphi must also be able to support Modula 2 runtime requirements. I
> don't know Modula 2 much, but if it has
> 1) Garbage collection,

No.

> 2) exception handling,

No.

> 3) fancy runtime libraries

None, except Window, which is not hard to recreate, except for the thread
safety.

Which brings us to

4) M2 has support for cooperative threading. (co-routines). A timescheduler from
SWAG could be the basis for a substitute.

> And of course you will end up with translated code that is probably not very
> suitable for debugging :-(

Stuff the comments in the parse tree and write them back. M2 is Pascallike
enough (as direct successor of Pascal) to not make it too messy.

In article <3BF4CCB0.E4598...@uab.ericsson.se>, Barry Watson wrote:

> "Ira D. Baxter" wrote:

>> The DMS Software Reengineering Toolkit is designed to make
>> such translators practical and economical to construct.
>> (As an example, we are doing a JOVIAL to C port using it).
>> See the slides on porting at
>> http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/DMS/DMSApplicationIdeas.html
>> "Economical" means it still takes a signficant part of a man-year
>> to implement such a translator, so the volume of code translated
>> must justify the effort.

> A year??? Modula 2 optimizing compilers have been built in few months
> (Aho Sethi Ullman, "Compilers Principles Techniques and Tools" page
> 742). It shouldn't be hard to write a translator. Pick up a good
> compiler book like the one I mentioned and write it yourself if you have
> the time. It will take alot less than one year. If Modula-2 is described
> by a LL(1) grammar then you could throw together a recursive descent
> parser very quickly. Build your parse tree then walk it and translate!
> God if you push it you could have something in a month.

Also check COCO/r. This is a free compiler constructor kit that has grammars
for M2 and Pascal ready IIRC.

Re:Graphic Vision 2.20 for Borland Pascal

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:22:08 +0100, Barry Watson

<Barry.Wat...@uab.ericsson.se> wrote:
>A year??? Modula 2 optimizing compilers have been built in few months
>God if you push it you could have something in a month.

I agree.  I wrote a BASIC to Fortran translater in a weekend.
Modula-2 is sufficiently like Pascal that it should be very easy to
do.

Re:Graphic Vision 2.20 for Borland Pascal

In article <9t0jtb$kp...@sunu789.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>, Dr.WU

<ning...@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> I need a source code translater from Modula-2 to Pascal/Delphi. Can anyone
> help me?

You might want to investigate Pat Terry's COCO/R based MOD2PAS Modula-2
to [Turbo] Pascal converter.  It can be downloaded from
<ftp://cs.ru.ac.za/pub/coco/MOD2PAS.ZIP>.

Although it doesn't claim or try to be a 100% error free converter,
MOD2PAS handles a lot of the grunt work needed to convert Modula-2
source code to Turbo Pascal.  In the author's words, it is "a simple,
but usable, Modula-2 to Pascal converter".

The source code is included in the download package so it is possible
to improve the converter with your own enhancements if you want to do
so.

Gale Paeper
gpae...@empirenet.com

Re:Graphic Vision 2.20 for Borland Pascal

In article <slrn9va090.1gbp.mar...@toad.stack.nl>, Marco van de Voort

<mar...@toad.stack.nl> wrote:
>In article <3BF4DC19.EC458...@imagecraft.com>, Richard F. Man wrote:

>> Pascal/Delphi must also be able to support Modula 2 runtime requirements. I
>> don't know Modula 2 much, but if it has
>> 2) exception handling,

>No.

Actually, it depends upon the version of Modula-2.  ISO Modula-2 added
exception handling to the language.

Gale Paeper
gpae...@empirenet.com

"Jason Burgon" <ja...@jayman.demon.co.uk> wrote in message <news:1005431781.1310.0.nnrp-10.9e98bf9d@news.demon.co.uk>...
> I am proud to announce the public release of Graphic Vision, version 2.20.  A
> fully functional evaluation, as well as precompiled example programs are
> available for download from my website:

>  http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk

> Registered uses can also download an upgrade from version 2.14 from the
> "upgrades" page of above web site.

<snip>

>  3. NEW FEATURES OF VERSION 2.20
>  ===============================

>   - Support for XMS streams and program overlay file (real mode apps)

Were the disassembled Overlay unit files of any use?

>   - Improved Delay function, plus more powerful Idle sheduling

I've got a peliminary version of the CRT unit that smartlinks out
Delay completely if not used, and that can never (as in: NEVER EVER!)
RTE200, no matter how fast CPUs get. It doesn't include the
enhancements of Pedt, I can pull them out of his CRT60 file using
TWU1, but as yet I haven't had time to see what they are doing and Mr
Scragg seems to be off-lineish at the moment.

Regards,

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins
pr...@bigfoot.com

Re:Graphic Vision 2.20 for Borland Pascal

RE: Re: [Ann] Graphic Vision 2.20 for Borland Pascal
BY: pr...@bigfoot.com (Robert AH Prins)

Reply : Requested

>>   - Improved Delay function, plus more powerful Idle sheduling
>I've got a peliminary version of the CRT unit that smartlinks out
>Delay completely if not used, and that can never (as in: NEVER EVER!)
>RTE200, no matter how fast CPUs get. It doesn't include the
>enhancements of Pedt, I can pull them out of his CRT60 file using
>TWU1, but as yet I haven't had time to see what they are doing and Mr
>Scragg seems to be off-lineish at the moment.

Sir,

Pardon the intrusion in the middle of your discussion.  But, I have to ask. Do
you have a version of your CRT Unit for Borland Pascal v7.  If so is it
possible to obtain the CRT unit from you and/or the "DIFF" file, so I may
change my CRT Source.

Thanks in advance.

Art Johnston

--- Gated via The Abyss BBS -*n...@filenet.wwiv.net*-
    (714) 903-9920 -* Westminster, California*-

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads