Circular Launches ?

Hello Folks,

I want to launch an application from within a Delphi app (use ShellExecute
you cry) BUT I also want to launch the same Delphi app from within the other
app.

EG.

Launch "Delhi App" and then use a button to launch "NonDelphi App" if
required

Or

Launch "NonDelphi App" and then use a button to launch "Delhi App" if
required.

Then

Switch between them with the aforementioned buttons.

Just to make it tricky I want the "NonDelphi App" to launch the "Delphi App"
rather than perform it's own default form launch.

Easy Peasy or Impossible

Rob

Re:Circular Launches ?

In article <3a123e7e_1@dnews>, Rob & Vic wrote:
> I want to launch an application from within a Delphi app (use ShellExecute
> you cry) BUT I also want to launch the same Delphi app from within the other
> app.

No problem, use ShellExecute on the other side as well. Both sides can use
FindWindow with the classname of their partners main window to detect if the
app already runs, if so they use SetForegroundWindow to bring it to front.
Just API stuff, so you can do it from any decent language suitable for writing
Windows apps.

Re:Circular Launches ?

But the "NonDelphi" app is a commercial app to which I have no code access.

"Peter Below (TeamB)" <100113.1...@compuXXserve.com> wrote in message

> In article <3a123e7e_1@dnews>, Rob & Vic wrote:
> > I want to launch an application from within a Delphi app (use
ShellExecute
> > you cry) BUT I also want to launch the same Delphi app from within the
other
> > app.

> No problem, use ShellExecute on the other side as well. Both sides can use
> FindWindow with the classname of their partners main window to detect if
the
> app already runs, if so they use SetForegroundWindow to bring it to front.
> Just API stuff, so you can do it from any decent language suitable for
writing
> Windows apps.

> No e-mail responses, please, unless explicitly requested!

Re:Circular Launches ?

Rob & Vic schrieb:

> But the "NonDelphi" app is a commercial app to which I have no code access.

Then how do you want to modify one of its buttons to execute something,
or prevent if from showing it's own form?

The first could perhaps be achieved via a system hook, but the
second should be next to impossible.

--
                                                 Andreas
Die letzten beissen die ersten.

Re:Circular Launches ?

In article <3a178e47$1_2@dnews>, Rob & Vic wrote:
> But the "NonDelphi" app is a commercial app to which I have no code access.

And how do you then propose to get this application to start your application?
You can do that only if the application offers some way to extend it, e.g.
like an MS Office app that allows you to write VBA macros to extend it.

Re:Circular Launches ?

And there lies the problem!

A "system hook" I presume this is where the system intercrepts an action and
then responds by actioning your own alternate command - yes?

Showing the NonDelphi app's default form would be a problem I agree.

I wondered if the NonDelphi app could be run inside a Delphi container of
some description allowing Delphi to intercept system calls?

I did consider that the problem was practically impossible to achieve
without access to the NonDelphi app's code, if I had access to that it
should be simple. However I thought it was worth a punt as there may be a
trick or two up the sleeves of you good folks out there

Cheers

Rob

> Then how do you want to modify one of its buttons to execute something,
> or prevent if from showing it's own form?

> The first could perhaps be achieved via a system hook, but the
> second should be next to impossible.

Other Threads