Long filenames using DOS unit

I have some old text mode BP7 code which manipulates files. I'd like to
access long filenames under Windows 98 command prompt, but the old programs
don't seem to like them. Is there an updated DOS unit I could use?

Re:Long filenames using DOS unit

Gerard & Cathy Dehlen <mailto:deh...@iafrica.com> said:

>I have some old text mode BP7 code which manipulates files. I'd like to
>access long filenames under Windows 98 command prompt, but the old programs
>don't seem to like them. Is there an updated DOS unit I could use?

From Mini-FAQ:

* Can I use Long File Names in Turbo Pascal

Yes. There are units and source code available for dealing with long file
names in Turbo Pascal when the program is running in a Win95/98 DOS box. A
full implementation is at
   ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/turbspec/dos70p20.zip

Also look at the drop-in replacement by Andreas Killer at
   http://home.t-online.de/home/andreas.killer/lfn108.zip

One caveat: be wary of mixing LFN files and 8.3 filename.ext - three files
called "pascal source" "pascal file" and "pascal text" would be rendered as
"pascal~1" "pascal~2" and "pascal~3". If you delete "pascal file/pascal~2"
and then copy the directory then "pascal text" would have a new short name
of "pascal~2" NOT "pascal~3" and you program may be referring to "pascal~3"

Information on Newsgroup posted weekly on Sunday - read before writing!
Contains links to    |  http://homepages.force9.net/pascal/faq/
helpful information  |  http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/clpb-faq.txt
and some guidelines  |  ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/doc-net/faqclpb.zip

Re:Long filenames using DOS unit

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999 05:47:21 +0100, Pedt Scragg

<newsmas...@pedt.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Gerard & Cathy Dehlen <mailto:deh...@iafrica.com> said:

>>I have some old text mode BP7 code which manipulates files. I'd like to
>>access long filenames under Windows 98 command prompt, but the old programs
>>don't seem to like them. Is there an updated DOS unit I could use?

>From Mini-FAQ:

>* Can I use Long File Names in Turbo Pascal

>Yes. There are units and source code available for dealing with long file
>names in Turbo Pascal when the program is running in a Win95/98 DOS box. A
>full implementation is at
>   ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/turbspec/dos70p20.zip

>Also look at the drop-in replacement by Andreas Killer at
>   http://home.t-online.de/home/andreas.killer/lfn108.zip

>One caveat: be wary of mixing LFN files and 8.3 filename.ext - three files
>called "pascal source" "pascal file" and "pascal text" would be rendered as
>"pascal~1" "pascal~2" and "pascal~3". If you delete "pascal file/pascal~2"
>and then copy the directory then "pascal text" would have a new short name
>of "pascal~2" NOT "pascal~3" and you program may be referring to "pascal~3"

Do these units work in NT? Or are there others which do?

FP

Frank Peelo <mailto:fpe...@indigo.ie> said:

>>From Mini-FAQ:

>>* Can I use Long File Names in Turbo Pascal

>>Yes. There are units and source code available for dealing with long file
>>names in Turbo Pascal when the program is running in a Win95/98 DOS box. A
>>full implementation is at
>>   ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/turbspec/dos70p20.zip

>>Also look at the drop-in replacement by Andreas Killer at
>>   http://home.t-online.de/home/andreas.killer/lfn108.zip

>Do these units work in NT? Or are there others which do?

Sorry Frank I've no idea as I don't have NT here at the moment. Perhaps
the authors may know ?
--
Information on Newsgroup posted weekly on Sunday - read before writing!
Contains links to    |  http://homepages.force9.net/pascal/faq/
helpful information  |  http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/clpb-faq.txt
and some guidelines  |  ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/doc-net/faqclpb.zip

Other Threads