Board index » delphi » Which Install program can handle BDE 5.01?

Which Install program can handle BDE 5.01?

I am using D3 and developing a database application using paradox 7.0.
Since I upgraded BDE from 4.0 to 5.01 I havn't been able to make an
installation disk with InstallShield Express.  I was adviced from
InstallShield company to upgrade ISX from 1.11 to 2.03, but I am still
unable to make an installation disk, which can install my application
and BDE 5.01.

Now I need an advise from Borland/INprise.  How do I install BDE 5.01
with my application?

Regards,

Georg Beyer Clausen
gbc*design

 

Re:Which Install program can handle BDE 5.01?


Quote
>I am using D3 and developing a database application using paradox 7.0.
>Since I upgraded BDE from 4.0 to 5.01 I havn't been able to make an
>installation disk with InstallShield Express.  I was adviced from
>InstallShield company to upgrade ISX from 1.11 to 2.03, but I am still
>unable to make an installation disk, which can install my application
>and BDE 5.01.

>Now I need an advise from Borland/INprise.  How do I install BDE 5.01
>with my application?

There where changes in the language driver files that are used in BDE 5 so the
installshield that comes with Delphi 3 won't work with it.
You will either have to purchase an update from installshield move to delphi 4
or get another BDE installer.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Which Install program can handle BDE 5.01?


Hello

I received this from Wise today...

"Thanks for the email, Peter.  I am involved with trying to find a
working
solution to some of the problems we're experiencing with BDE 5+.
Unfortunately I don't have the capacity to update individuals when we
have a
working solution - but I DO invite you to e-mail me back regularly and
soon
to see what progress we have made.  I will be forthcoming with
updates.

Respectfully,

- Sean

Sean Roberts,
Premiere Support Services Manager,
Wise Solutions

Need Custom Script Writing, Training, or Consulting?  Contact Wise
Professional Services at servi...@wisesolutions.com"

... don't forget, if you need any custom scripts made, you be sure to
call the boys at Wise. Unless it involves the BDE 5.01.

Actually, I have heard that InstallShield has some, though not as
many, problems with 5.01 as well

Regards

Re:Which Install program can handle BDE 5.01?


On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 00:00:32 +0200, Georg Beyer Clausen

Quote
<gbc.des...@vip.{*word*104}city.dk> wrote:
>InstallShield company to upgrade ISX from 1.11 to 2.03, but I am still
>unable to make an installation disk, which can install my application
>and BDE 5.01.

What are the problems you are experiencing? Also, update to 2.04 (a free
upgrade for you, since you are a registered user - hopefully anyway).

Stefan Paetow
-
InstallShield Software Corporation

Express Newsgroups: news://news.installshield.com/
InstallShield Support: http://support.installshield.com/

Re:Which Install program can handle BDE 5.01?


Quote
On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 07:58:06 GMT, pcr...@ecn.net.au (Peter Crain) wrote:
>Actually, I have heard that InstallShield has some, though not as
>many, problems with 5.01 as well

I pride myself to be one of the resident BDE people at InstallShield. If
you have BDE problems, please contact me through this newsgroup. I will
attempt to answer your questions as I can.

Stefan Paetow
-
InstallShield Software Corporation

Express Newsgroups: news://news.installshield.com/
InstallShield Support: http://support.installshield.com/

Re:Which Install program can handle BDE 5.01?


Hi Stefan,
   I am hoping you can help me with an IS Express / D4 installation I'm
trying ?

I have written a small app using Delphi 4 Pro, MS Access 97. I was under
the impression I was using the native MSACCESS driver.

When my client downloaded the 4Mb (Full BDE install + 791k program)
install program, it installed fine, asked for username and password,
then promptly gave him an error.

I downloaded the latest IS files from borland.com and tried again - no
luck.

The error message is:
Exception EDB Engine Error in Modules <blah blah>
Cannot load an IDAPI Service
Library file: MSJT3032.DLL

Bummer !

On a hunch I looked in IS's swdepend.ini and sure enough, the file
appears, but under the
 [ODBC Support]
section - go figure...

So.. I'm going to re-do the install program, and select:
Partial BDE installation
ODBC Driver

and see what happens.

I would like to hear from someone who actually knows what should be done
and how to do it.

Thanks,
Aaron

| Atomic Software
| Internet Extranet Intranet Database Application Design
+-----------------
| Web: http://www.atomic-software.com.au
| Email: aaro...@atomic-software.com.au
| Fax/Phone: +61 3 9427 0073
| Mobile: 0409 430 231

Re:Which Install program can handle BDE 5.01?


Borland has a TI on this at
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/qanda/FAQ497B.html.  It gives two
situations where an error like this might happen with DAO.  See if that
helps.

Jeff Overcash

Quote
Aaron Christiansen wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>    I am hoping you can help me with an IS Express / D4 installation I'm
> trying ?

> I have written a small app using Delphi 4 Pro, MS Access 97. I was under
> the impression I was using the native MSACCESS driver.

> When my client downloaded the 4Mb (Full BDE install + 791k program)
> install program, it installed fine, asked for username and password,
> then promptly gave him an error.

> I downloaded the latest IS files from borland.com and tried again - no
> luck.

> The error message is:
> Exception EDB Engine Error in Modules <blah blah>
> Cannot load an IDAPI Service
> Library file: MSJT3032.DLL

> Bummer !

> On a hunch I looked in IS's swdepend.ini and sure enough, the file
> appears, but under the
>  [ODBC Support]
> section - go figure...

> So.. I'm going to re-do the install program, and select:
> Partial BDE installation
> ODBC Driver

> and see what happens.

> I would like to hear from someone who actually knows what should be done
> and how to do it.

> Thanks,
> Aaron

> | Atomic Software
> | Internet Extranet Intranet Database Application Design
> +-----------------
> | Web: http://www.atomic-software.com.au
> | Email: aaro...@atomic-software.com.au
> | Fax/Phone: +61 3 9427 0073
> | Mobile: 0409 430 231

Re:Which Install program can handle BDE 5.01?


Quote
>e error message is:
>Exception EDB Engine Error in Modules <blah blah>
>Cannot load an IDAPI Service
>Library file: MSJT3032.DLL

>Bummer !

>On a hunch I looked in IS's swdepend.ini and sure enough, the file
>appears, but under the
> [ODBC Support]
>section - go figure...

The native Access driver requires that you have DAO installed.
DAO is a Microsoft licensed program so the BDE installation can not install it.

You also need to match the Dll32 parameter of the Access driver to the version
of DAO that is installed on your machine.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Which Install program can handle BDE 5.01?


Stefan,

I just visit the site and it seems very complicated to get an update... I
read that to get update we must buy it, but you're saying it's free for
Delphi user.
On another screen some registration information are asked, such as
registration number. What is this number, where can it be found in Delphi
package ?

Thanks for your answer

--
Olivier Dahan
oda...@{*word*104}cable.fr
Delphi 32b C/S certified engineer
Stefan Paetow - InstallShield Software Corporation
<nospam.ste...@installshield.co.za.nospam> a crit dans le message :
37278944.79611...@forums.borland.com...

Quote
> On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 00:00:32 +0200, Georg Beyer Clausen
> <gbc.des...@vip.{*word*104}city.dk> wrote:
> >InstallShield company to upgrade ISX from 1.11 to 2.03, but I am still
> >unable to make an installation disk, which can install my application
> >and BDE 5.01.

> What are the problems you are experiencing? Also, update to 2.04 (a free
> upgrade for you, since you are a registered user - hopefully anyway).

> Stefan Paetow
> -
> InstallShield Software Corporation

> Express Newsgroups: news://news.installshield.com/
> InstallShield Support: http://support.installshield.com/

Re:Which Install program can handle BDE 5.01?


I install using Delphi 3 /ISX Custom and BDE 5.01. Works fine. e-mail
for info.

Re:Which Install program can handle BDE 5.01?


We have a similar problem that we are in hurry to solve, because we
have to distribute an Access/Delphi application to our customers, and
we do not know their "DAO" configuration.

At the moment the best aswer we found on internet about DAO is
at the url

Quote
>http://www.indigorose.com/setup/instdao.html

We paste an excerpt:

Quote
> ...
> Here are some resources to use when developing your DAO install:

>                              A sample Setup Factory project that has all of the files needed for a complete DAO
>                              installation.  Either use this project as a guideline or use it as a base for your application
>                              and add your files to it.  Download it from: http://www.indigorose.com/files/dao35sfp.zip
>                              (2,600 bytes).
>                              An article by Microsoft about distributing DAO. See
>                              http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q167/5/23.asp.
>                              An archive of all of the latest versions of the DAO runtime files as well as the above Setup
>                              Factory project file.  Download it from: http://www.indigorose.com/files/daordst.zip
>                              (2,756,730 bytes)

>Copyright ? 1999 - Indigo Rose Corporation
>230-123 Bannatyne Ave. - Winnipeg, MB - Canada R3B 0R3
>204.946.0263 - Fax: 204.942.3421 - Sales: 800.665.9668
>i...@indigorose.com

--------------------------------
On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 21:31:14 +1000, Aaron Christiansen

- Show quoted text -

Quote
<aaro...@atomic-software.com.au> wrote:
>Hi Stefan,
>   I am hoping you can help me with an IS Express / D4 installation I'm
>trying ?

>I have written a small app using Delphi 4 Pro, MS Access 97. I was under
>the impression I was using the native MSACCESS driver.

>When my client downloaded the 4Mb (Full BDE install + 791k program)
>install program, it installed fine, asked for username and password,
>then promptly gave him an error.

>I downloaded the latest IS files from borland.com and tried again - no
>luck.

>The error message is:
>Exception EDB Engine Error in Modules <blah blah>
>Cannot load an IDAPI Service
>Library file: MSJT3032.DLL

>Bummer !

>On a hunch I looked in IS's swdepend.ini and sure enough, the file
>appears, but under the
> [ODBC Support]
>section - go figure...

>So.. I'm going to re-do the install program, and select:
>Partial BDE installation
>ODBC Driver

>and see what happens.

>I would like to hear from someone who actually knows what should be done
>and how to do it.

>Thanks,
>Aaron

>| Atomic Software
>| Internet Extranet Intranet Database Application Design
>+-----------------
>| Web: http://www.atomic-software.com.au
>| Email: aaro...@atomic-software.com.au
>| Fax/Phone: +61 3 9427 0073
>| Mobile: 0409 430 231

Re:Which Install program can handle BDE 5.01?


Quote
On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:20:45 +0200, "Olivier" <oda...@{*word*104}cable.fr> wrote:
>I just visit the site and it seems very complicated to get an update... I
>read that to get update we must buy it, but you're saying it's free for
>Delphi user.

That is NOT what I said. Since you referred to Express 2.03, I was under
the impression that you had purchased Express. If you haven't, then you are
not eligible for the upgrades.

Express Custom Edition shipped with Delphi 4 is Version 2.02 Custom
Edition. Express 2.03 is a paid-for product, and available to registered
(paid-for) customers for free.

Stefan Paetow
-
InstallShield Software Corporation

Express Newsgroups: news://news.installshield.com/
InstallShield Support: http://support.installshield.com/

Re:Which Install program can handle BDE 5.01?


Are you saying EXPRESS coming with Delphi is not a legal product cause we
don't pay for it and so, we have no right for updates and debug ??
Else, if you consider we are legal users of the product, why can we get
updates ?

--
Olivier Dahan
oda...@{*word*104}cable.fr
Delphi 32b C/S certified engineer
Stefan Paetow - InstallShield Software Corporation
<nospam.ste...@installshield.co.za.nospam> a crit dans le message :
372daf8d.10665...@forums.borland.com...

Quote
> On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:20:45 +0200, "Olivier" <oda...@{*word*104}cable.fr>
wrote:
> >I just visit the site and it seems very complicated to get an update... I
> >read that to get update we must buy it, but you're saying it's free for
> >Delphi user.

> That is NOT what I said. Since you referred to Express 2.03, I was under
> the impression that you had purchased Express. If you haven't, then you
are
> not eligible for the upgrades.

> Express Custom Edition shipped with Delphi 4 is Version 2.02 Custom
> Edition. Express 2.03 is a paid-for product, and available to registered
> (paid-for) customers for free.

> Stefan Paetow
> -
> InstallShield Software Corporation

> Express Newsgroups: news://news.installshield.com/
> InstallShield Support: http://support.installshield.com/

Re:Which Install program can handle BDE 5.01?


Quote
On Mon, 3 May 1999 23:40:23 +0200, "Olivier" <oda...@{*word*104}cable.fr> wrote:
>Are you saying EXPRESS coming with Delphi is not a legal product cause we
>don't pay for it and so, we have no right for updates and debug ??

It is a legal product, but it was given to you for free. That means that
you don't get free access to bugfixes (so-called Maintenance Releases). We
will provide you with support though

Quote
>Else, if you consider we are legal users of the product, why can we get
>updates ?

See above.

Stefan Paetow
-
InstallShield Software Corporation

Express Newsgroups: news://news.installshield.com/
InstallShield Support: http://support.installshield.com/

Re:Which Install program can handle BDE 5.01?


In article <372daf8d.10665...@forums.borland.com>, Stefan Paetow -
InstallShield Software Corporation <nospam.ste...@installshield.co.za.no
spam> wrote

Quote
>Express Custom Edition shipped with Delphi 4 is Version 2.02 Custom
>Edition. Express 2.03 is a paid-for product, and available to registered
>(paid-for) customers for free.

Personally I hope that Borland stop including Install Shield with
Delphi. What is the point if it is not supported for BDE updates (i.e.
BDE bug fixes) ? We need to be able to use the latest.

I am sure that Borland could create something similar themselves, if not
some kind spirited Delphian ought to create one for free and give it to
them.
--
Adam Willoughby

Other Threads