IB6 - Open Source Trick

Kurt Bilde wrote:

> Panos wrote:

> > Do they exist in the open source version? if so, are you gonna leave all those
> > developers that are using the open source with those bugs ?

> I guess it's up to the community to fix them..

        No, that's wrong, and Panos was also wrong.  The bug fixes will be part
of the open edition.

        -Craig

Re:IB6 - Open Source Trick

Kurt Bilde wrote:
> I guess it's up to the community to fix them

Personally, I would *love* to see the community start fixing bugs in
Interbase. How many bug fixes have come from the community so far? There
is nothing preventing the community from doing bug fixes for Interbase
right now, is there?

--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, http://community.borland.com
Cycling to cure cancer: http://homepages.borland.com/jkaster/tnt/

Re:IB6 - Open Source Trick

John:

I don't think there's a mechanism in place for fixes to be posted to the
Borland source tree.  Right now, the tree at SourceForge is out of date and
is closed to all but a few Borland employees.

The community has been posting fixes to Firebird, and we can all hope that
the two trees will merge at some point in the future.

Dan

"John Kaster (Borland)" <jkas...@borland.com> wrote in message

> Kurt Bilde wrote:
> > I guess it's up to the community to fix them

> Personally, I would *love* to see the community start fixing bugs in
> Interbase. How many bug fixes have come from the community so far? There
> is nothing preventing the community from doing bug fixes for Interbase
> right now, is there?

> --
> John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, http://community.borland.com
> Cycling to cure cancer: http://homepages.borland.com/jkaster/tnt/
> Order Kylix! http://www.borland.com/kylix * Got source?
> http://codecentral.borland.com
> Get the best Java IDE: http://www.borland.com/jbuilder

Re:IB6 - Open Source Trick

> I don't think there's a mechanism in place for fixes to be posted to the
> Borland source tree.

The best place to post ideas is the opensource newsgroup.

> Right now, the tree at SourceForge is out of date and
> is closed to all but a few Borland employees.

We will bring it up to date with our changes soon.  And yes, only a few people
can commit changes.  But we are going to make the process of submitting changes
to our commiters better.  Again, the opensource newsgroup is the place to talk
about this.

> The community has been posting fixes to Firebird, and we can all hope that
> the two trees will merge at some point in the future.

I don't know if we will merge all the changes but we will work with you all to
get the best ones into InterBase.  We have strict rules and our r&d and qa team
have to analyze and test each change.

Thank you,
Aaron Ruddick
InterBase QA

Re:IB6 - Open Source Trick

"John Kaster (Borland)" wrote:

> Kurt Bilde wrote:
> > I guess it's up to the community to fix them

> Personally, I would *love* to see the community start fixing bugs in
> Interbase. How many bug fixes have come from the community so far? There
> is nothing preventing the community from doing bug fixes for Interbase
> right now, is there?

Perhaps it is not very motivating to propose a bugfix if you have no
idea if the current code still contains a certain bug? I can understand
that only few people have cvs commit rights, but I don't understand why
the evolviing code is not even readable to the public. They did not get
the point of the open source development model, IMHO.

For developers who want to contribute, it is only consequent to move to
Firebird.

- Bernhard

Other Threads