Closing DB connection on XP

Hi,
I recently installed WinXP on my computer and I verifyed that always that I
close a database (local connection), it takes about 6-10 seconds to do it.
Why is that? I have IB 6.0.2.
I allready disabled System Restore.

Thanks,
Carlos Matos

Morada / Address:
Urb.Vale Verde Lote 34 - Loja - 3040 COIMBRA
Telefone / Phone: +351 239 802 340-8
Fax: +351 293 802 349
E-mail: ma...@comograma.pt
Web: www.comograma.pt

Re:Closing DB connection on XP

Carlos Matos wrote:
> I recently installed WinXP on my computer and I verifyed that always that I
> close a database (local connection), it takes about 6-10 seconds to do it.
> Why is that? I have IB 6.0.2.
> I allready disabled System Restore.

What did you do prior to closing?  A veeeery long transaction with lots
av inserts/updates/deletes.   Something that triggers a sweep thread?
What happens if you just connects and disconnects?

Regards,
Aage J.

Re:Closing DB connection on XP

I do not do anything prior ro closing. This did not appen on Win2000 Prof.
I tryed on IBConsole just connecting and disconnecting and the same appens.
Is it something with WinXP?

"Aage Johansen" <aagjo...@offline.no> escreveu na mensagem

> Carlos Matos wrote:
> > I recently installed WinXP on my computer and I verifyed that always
that I
> > close a database (local connection), it takes about 6-10 seconds to do
it.
> > Why is that? I have IB 6.0.2.
> > I allready disabled System Restore.

> What did you do prior to closing?  A veeeery long transaction with lots
> av inserts/updates/deletes.   Something that triggers a sweep thread?
> What happens if you just connects and disconnects?

> Regards,
> Aage J.

Re:Closing DB connection on XP

I have noticed this all the time too.
It becomes quite annoying. Didnt do it with Win2k, but with XP it sure does.

Re:Closing DB connection on XP

So what can we do to workaround this?

"Andy Murphy" <a...@rating-software-company.co.uk> escreveu na mensagem

> I have noticed this all the time too.
> It becomes quite annoying. Didnt do it with Win2k, but with XP it sure
does.

Re:Closing DB connection on XP

This might help:

Cheers,

-Jorge

> I have noticed this all the time too.
> > It becomes quite annoying. Didnt do it with Win2k, but with XP it sure
> does.

Re:Closing DB connection on XP

So ok,
They talk about System Restore and Fast User Switching.
I already disabled System Restore but I don't know how to disable Fast User
Switching.
Does anyone know how to do it?

"Jorge Alvarez" <correosch...@hotmail.com> escreveu na mensagem

> This might help:
> http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,28142,00.html

> Cheers,

> -Jorge

> > I have noticed this all the time too.
> > > It becomes quite annoying. Didnt do it with Win2k, but with XP it sure
> > does.

Re:Closing DB connection on XP

I dont have system restore on at all. I think an easier way than switching
this function off is simply to rename the extension of the IB database file.
Some of my clients have a company policy that dictates that system restore
be used.

I dont have either that or fast switching and IB still takes a while to log
out now and again. So it aint either of those two. Oh and as for PC issues,
its running 8 SCSI U160 drives with a four channnel raid card in 0 mode (2
drives per channel) 2gb ram, P4 2.0 ghz, put it this way, it aint the PC
doing it! Sometimes its 30 seconds.

Re:Closing DB connection on XP

Yeh, it seems that's a problem

> I dont have system restore on at all. I think an easier way than switching
> this function off is simply to rename the extension of the IB database
file.
> Some of my clients have a company policy that dictates that system restore
> be used.

> I dont have either that or fast switching and IB still takes a while to
log
> out now and again. So it aint either of those two. Oh and as for PC
issues,
> its running 8 SCSI U160 drives with a four channnel raid card in 0 mode (2
> drives per channel) 2gb ram, P4 2.0 ghz, put it this way, it aint the PC
> doing it! Sometimes its 30 seconds.

Other Threads