Installing SUSE 7.1 from FTP server

: "Patrick Julien" <patrick.julien@videotronDOTca> wrote:

>I am on cable so I suppose it should work too.  Can you please let me know
>where I can download the 3 floppy disk images for Suse 7.1 or give me a link
>on Suse web site?

  ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/7.1/

Warning - this is from memory. The disks are in the "disks" directory, I
believe.
--
Kylix is there!
  http://www.borland.com/kylix/

Re:Installing SUSE 7.1 from FTP server

I am on cable so I suppose it should work too.  Can you please let me know
where I can download the 3 floppy disk images for Suse 7.1 or give me a link
on Suse web site?

Thanks a lot Stephan!

Patrick

"Patrick Julien" <patrick.julien@videotronDOTca> wrote in message

>  the 3 floppy disk images for Suse 7.1

Ha ha!

Re:Installing SUSE 7.1 from FTP server

I have tried this at home yesterday but no luck being able to get the
network to work.  Guess I am too much of a newbie at this point.

But thanks again for the info.  Still don't understand why they don't offer
a .iso image of their distribution as Mandrake and RedHat.

I also tried to download the 7.1 but doesn't work(get just 366 packages out
of 2200) so I think I'll have to stay with Mandrake beta and wait for the
official 8.0 release.

Patrick

"Stefan Hoffmeister" <Borland.Newsgro...@econos.com> a crit dans le message
news: u1v1ctgr4nkr749qrl397aomebfvbr5__BEGIN_MASK_n#9g02mG7!__...__END_MASK_i?a63jfAD$z__@4ax.com...

> : "Patrick Julien" <patrick.julien@videotronDOTca> wrote:

> >I am on cable so I suppose it should work too.  Can you please let me
know
> >where I can download the 3 floppy disk images for Suse 7.1 or give me a
link
> >on Suse web site?

>   ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/7.1/

> Warning - this is from memory. The disks are in the "disks" directory, I
> believe.
> --
> Kylix is there!
>   http://www.borland.com/kylix/
> Are you ready for Kylix?
>   http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,26998,00.html

Re:Installing SUSE 7.1 from FTP server

: "Patrick Julien" <patrick.julien@videotronDOTca> wrote:

>I also tried to download the 7.1 but doesn't work(get just 366 packages out
>of 2200) so I think I'll have to stay with Mandrake beta and wait for the
>official 8.0 release.

If you can afford it, purchase the retail kit.

FWIW, Mandrake in my experience, is not exactly an enjoyable development
platform.
--
Kylix is there!
  http://www.borland.com/kylix/
Are you ready for Kylix?

Re:Installing SUSE 7.1 from FTP server

: "Patrick Julien" <patrick.julien@videotronDOTca> wrote:

>> FWIW, Mandrake in my experience, is not exactly an enjoyable development
>> platform.

>Any specific reason why it's not an enjoyable dev platform?

It is impossible to debug multi-threaded applications with GDB on
Mandrake. All their binaries are stripped.

That does *not* pose a problem for the truly excellent Borland Kylix
de{*word*81}, though.

>What's are the strong points for Suse vs Mandrake?

SuSE have the better service, faster, more accessible (security)
updates, deliver a nicer base system that actually works.

Apart from that, it is "just" preference.
--

news: sl14ctov13snbrnc9gr7u7047qk0cun__BEGIN_MASK_n#9g02mG7!__...__END_MASK_i?a63jfAD$z__@4ax.com...

> If you can afford it, purchase the retail kit.

> FWIW, Mandrake in my experience, is not exactly an enjoyable development
> platform.

Any specific reason why it's not an enjoyable dev platform?  From what I've
heard here, they use it at Borland without any problems.  What's are the
strong points for Suse vs Mandrake?

Patrick

Re:Installing SUSE 7.1 from FTP server

> But thanks again for the info.  Still don't understand why they don't
offer
> a .iso image of their distribution as Mandrake and RedHat.

Yes it's a shame, it's not available in www.linuxiso.org either, they only
have the sparc version.

I you find  downloadable iso's of suse 7.1 (all 7 of them) let me know.

Re:Installing SUSE 7.1 from FTP server

I bought it...hope it'll worth the 55$ CAN.

Patrick

"Dylan Thomas" <dy...@intelnet.net.gt> a crit dans le message news:
3ac24f06$1_2@dnews...

"Patrick Julien" <patrick.julien@videotronDOTca> escribi en el mensaje

> I bought it...hope it'll worth the 55$ CAN.

How much is that in US $? Seems like reasonable price. Is that the pro
version?

Re:Installing SUSE 7.1 from FTP server

It's the personal edition.

Installed flawlessly, but I had to reconfigure  the X with Sax2 to set the
correct refresh rate and center the screen. (didn't have to do this with
Mandrake)

My sound card doesn't sound really good (SB Live), it wasn't a problem on
Mandrake.  Mouse wheel doesn't work, it worked on 7.1 and above on Mandrake.

max color depth is 24 bpp compared to 32 bpp offered in Mandrake and Suse
didn't offer me Hardware acceleration but Mandrake did (I have a ATI
Radeon).

Else than that, everything seems acceptable.

Of course I am a newbie but Mandrake seems to be more complete and easy to
install IMHO.

3ac25b87_1@dnews...

> "Patrick Julien" <patrick.julien@videotronDOTca> escribi en el mensaje
> > I bought it...hope it'll worth the 55$ CAN.

> How much is that in US $? Seems like reasonable price. Is that the pro
> version?

Re:Installing SUSE 7.1 from FTP server

"Patrick Julien" <patrick.julien@videotronDOTca> wrote in message

> My sound card doesn't sound really good (SB Live), it wasn't a problem on
> Mandrake.  Mouse wheel doesn't work, it worked on 7.1 and above on
Mandrake.

I also have an SB Live! with SuSE 7.1 with no problems.  The initial
installation did not set it up properly but I used YaST2 and reconfigured(It
detected it as an SB Live!) the sound card and it works great now.

--
-- Robert

Re:Installing SUSE 7.1 from FTP server

Some complains about Suse 7.1 updates...

http://www.linuxiso.org/news.html

regards
david

> I am on cable so I suppose it should work too.  Can you please let me know
> where I can download the 3 floppy disk images for Suse 7.1 or give me a
link
> on Suse web site?

> Thanks a lot Stephan!

> Patrick

> > SuSE run an FTP server (and there are mirrors). You can install
> > everything from *that* server, after booting from a special floppy disk.

> > >How do you do that and will I
> > >have the 7.0 or 7.1 installed?

> > Well, *I* installed 7.1 from the FTP server. Essentially

> > * download three floppy disk images
> > * boot from floppy disk
> > * select FTP server as installation source medium
> > * install
> > // done

Re:Installing SUSE 7.1 from FTP server

> I also have an SB Live! with SuSE 7.1 with no problems.  The initial
> installation did not set it up properly but I used YaST2 and
reconfigured(It
> detected it as an SB Live!) the sound card and it works great now.

What is your sound card configured as right now?  First Suse 7.1 detected it
as a SoundBlaster CT????(don't remember the number) Live! and I wasn't
getting a good sound so I tried to change it to EMU10K SB Live! with the
same results.  I also can't listen to any midi files.

Do you have to set any of the options like Wave Voices and Memory amount?

Thanks for your help!

Patrick

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads